CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Which laptop do I need to use TunerPro RT or Datamaster? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/1407324-which-laptop-do-i-need-to-use-tunerpro-rt-or-datamaster.html)

RRT vette 06-01-2006 12:15 PM

Which laptop do I need to use TunerPro RT or Datamaster?

I am in the market for a scan of my 86. I can't seem to find anyone around my area that will do a complete scan and I would have to trailer the vette due to running condition. I have decided to go with a laptop setup to probably run the TunerPro RT software. I just found out that Craig Moates lives about 2 hr away and I am interested in getting up with him. I know on C4 Scan and Tune it will take a while for info, due to not much traffic here. My question is what Laptop or equipment will I need to run the TunerPro RT. Do I need windows 2000, USB hookup, lots of MHz and GB, or just what? The more info the better...I know you guys are out there. I also have a 95 which uses a ODB2 cable for the OBD1 system that I would like to scan in the future. I will probably get the two different cables from Craig. Thanks

Casethecorvetteman 06-01-2006 12:39 PM

I have an ASUS L2B, its a very grunty laptop for the job, all you really need is about 400Mhz, 256MB ram, and id go with Windows XP. a proper Serial port is a very desired item. you wont need 2 different cables, the 86 will probably run in 8192 BAUD data, the only advantage to the OBD2 plug on your 95 is the fact it can suply power for the cable. Requirements are less than i have stated, but this is what id go for, and forget USB if you can avoid it.

tjwong 06-01-2006 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by RRT vette
I am in the market for a scan of my 86. I can't seem to find anyone around my area that will do a complete scan and I would have to trailer the vette due to running condition. I have decided to go with a laptop setup to probably run the TunerPro RT software. I just found out that Craig Moates lives about 2 hr away and I am interested in getting up with him. I know on C4 Scan and Tune it will take a while for info, due to not much traffic here. My question is what Laptop or equipment will I need to run the TunerPro RT. Do I need windows 2000, USB hookup, lots of MHz and GB, or just what? The more info the better...I know you guys are out there. I also have a 95 which uses a ODB2 cable for the OBD1 system that I would like to scan in the future. I will probably get the two different cables from Craig. Thanks

You can use just about any old WIN98 or XP PC that has a 9 pin serial port. It does not require great computing power. Any old but decent 486 would work fine up to the pentium class PC's.

RRT vette 06-01-2006 02:47 PM

Thanks guys, will one like this one work for me? If not do you see one that will? One in the $150-175 price range or can they be had? I am mainly using it to scan my vette and really nothing else. I don't have a real use for a expensive laptop, so that's why my price is.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-LATITUDE-C6...QQcmdZViewItem

rick lambert 06-01-2006 05:09 PM

If you use Moates..you will need both cables for your 86. That computer is to expensive in my mind. I'm using and old Toshiba 490 CDT Satelite Pro with windows 2000, has the right serial port and a USB port required for Moates. The computer cost less than $100. including shipping, and they're plentiful on ebay.You can email Craig to confirm 2 cables, I did and that's what he said. Thought you were on vacation! :)

RRT vette 06-01-2006 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by rick lambert
If you use Moates..you will need both cables for your 86. That computer is to expensive in my mind. I'm using and old Toshiba 490 CDT Satelite Pro with windows 2000, has the right serial port and a USB port required for Moates. The computer cost less than $100. including shipping, and they're plentiful on ebay.You can email Craig to confirm 2 cables, I did and that's what he said. Thought you were on vacation! :)

I see Rick, there are a lot of Toshiba laptops on there and for cheaper. I haven't contacted Craig yet but will in the near future. I'm trying to sneak this behind my wifes back. I leave on June 4th, on my way to Destin, Fl. Have to work today and tomorrow and a wedding to attend Sat. I will took into these laptops a little more. Thanks

steve40th 06-01-2006 08:35 PM

I use a COMPAQ 3 GHZ processor blah blah laptop. The only problem I have with the AKS cable and TTS is it actually linking up with the car, 1993 Vette.

Ray Quayle 06-02-2006 04:29 AM

DJ, Please keep us posted if you go with the Moates and TunerPro as I'd really like to know if you can get 8192 data with your $32 '86 mask from TunerPro.

Casethecorvetteman 06-02-2006 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by steve40th
I use a COMPAQ 3 GHZ processor blah blah laptop. The only problem I have with the AKS cable and TTS is it actually linking up with the car, 1993 Vette.

Are you trying to say here that it wont work properly with DataMaster?

steve40th 06-02-2006 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Casethecorvetteman
Are you trying to say here that it wont work properly with DataMaster?

Its intermittent, sometimes it links right up, sometimes it just waits forever and then POOF it connects or not at all. I am sure there is a settings issue, as with DIACOM I needed to even slow down the 486 laptop I had to work right.

Casethecorvetteman 06-02-2006 12:25 PM

Is it practicle to try connecting it to your desktop PC serial port? If so try that and see what you get.

steve40th 06-02-2006 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Casethecorvetteman
Is it practicle to try connecting it to your desktop PC serial port? If so try that and see what you get.

It wouldnt be practical, as the computer desktop is on the other side of the house. My other laptop, once I get it back, has a serial port. I havent heard much luck with serial to USB conversions, but it did work, and does sometimes.