CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   slotted rotors - slot direction (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/1432746-slotted-rotors-slot-direction.html)

billiardcue 06-30-2006 11:05 AM

slotted rotors - slot direction

Which direction do the slots face on slotted rotors?

GUSTO14 06-30-2006 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by billiardcue
Which direction do the slots face on slotted rotors?

The slots in the surface of the rotor do not necessarily determine how the rotor is mounted, the internal vanes do.

Air is drawn in at the center of the rotor and expelled from the outer edge as the rotor spins. For curved or angled vanes, the vanes should point to the rear of the car (at the top of the rotor). For rotors with vanes that are straight from the hub to the outer edge, the direction they spin is not relevant, so point the slots in whichever direction you think looks best.

GUSTO

Dirty Howie 06-30-2006 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
The slots in the surface of the rotor do not necessarily determine how the rotor is mounted, the internal vanes do.

Air is drawn in at the center of the rotor and expelled from the outer edge as the rotor spins. For curved or angled vanes, the vanes should point to the rear of the car (at the top of the rotor). For rotors with vanes that are straight from the hub to the outer edge, the direction they spin is not relevant, so point the slots in whichever direction you think looks best.

GUSTO

I will have to check my Erradispeeds tonight (wheels will be off).....

But I could have sworn the curved vanes were to point forward to catch the air :crazy:

But this could be the FIRST time I'm wrong :lol:

:cheers:
DH

Dave68 06-30-2006 03:40 PM

According to Power Slot:

The slot designs of Power Slot rotors are angled to use the rotors’ direction of rotation to enhance performance. This makes them side specific with left side (driver’s) and right side (passenger’s) rotors.

Brightly-plated Power Slot rotors also eliminate rusty rotor syndrome and enhance the look of custom wheels. Their military spec cadmium plating adds a high-tech appearance and corrosion resistance.

Power Slot rotors are designed to beat the challenges of high performance driving and severe duty brake demands, and represent one of the most cost-efficient performance brake upgrades offered in the market today.

Each of my Power Slot rotors has a stamping that indicates on which side of the car it should be mounted.

billiardcue 06-30-2006 03:56 PM

I mounted them with the fins facing rearward, that is how Chevy had the originals rotors mounted.

Thanks,

Dick

Mike Mercury 06-30-2006 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I will have to check my Erradispeeds tonight (wheels will be off).....

But I could have sworn the curved vanes were to point forward to catch the air :crazy:

negative. The job of the internal vanes is to pull heated air away from the center of the rotor.

Though I've read tests that's shown it really didn't make that much difference in the end.

Hatdude 06-30-2006 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
negative. The job of the internal vanes is to pull heated air away from the center of the rotor.

Though I've read tests that's shown it really didn't make that much difference in the end.

Exactly right. Vanes should be "pointed rearward". Wouldn't make much sense to have air pulled down to the center of the rotor and have brake ducts blowing air into the same spot. :D No worries though, many people at first think it should be the other way around.

Jason 06-30-2006 05:21 PM

I've had different mechanics I trust tell me both directions. :lol:

SLPRC5 06-30-2006 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by billiardcue
I mounted them with the fins facing rearward, that is how Chevy had the originals rotors mounted.

Thanks,

Dick

CORRECT AMONDO!!!http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/DenoT/image.jpg

LoneStarFRC 06-30-2006 08:03 PM

It may very well depend on the brand. Baer has specific instructions on this for example. Very doubtful there is a "one size fits all" rule on this.
If you know the brand, call the manufacturer.

Bill Dearborn 06-30-2006 09:51 PM

The OEM rotors are marked as to which corner of the car they go on. If mounted in the correct position the internal vanes face backwards. This is supposed to enhance air flow from the center out. No matter which way the slots on the outside go they do not provide rotor cooling so the rotors from all manufacturers will perform best if the internal vanes face to the rear. If you are a waxer and only drive the car to car meets then don't worry about it since the rotors will never get hot enough to need cooling.

Bill

Mike Mercury 06-30-2006 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The OEM rotors are marked as to which corner of the car they go on. If mounted in the correct position the internal vanes face backwards. This is supposed to enhance air flow from the center out.

No matter which way the slots on the outside go they do not provide rotor cooling so the rotors from all manufacturers will perform best if the internal vanes face to the rear.

:iagree:

Dirty Howie 07-01-2006 12:23 AM

The OEM rotors are marked as to which corner of the car they go on. If mounted in the correct position the internal vanes face backwards. This is supposed to enhance air flow from the center out. No matter which way the slots on the outside go they do not provide rotor cooling so the rotors from all manufacturers will perform best if the internal vanes face to the rear. If you are a waxer and only drive the car to car meets then don't worry about it since the rotors will never get hot enough to need cooling.

Bill

I'm sure you and Mike Mercury as well as others are correct.

I just preped for the track tomarrow..... checked pads, caliper bolts, bracket bolts and bled the brakes.

......... but I forgot to look which way the vanes point. :willy:

But I do know I got em on right ..... Erradispeed directions were specific.

:cheers:
DH

YO-EL 07-01-2006 07:14 AM

The curves of the vanes should go like this:
)

AU N EGL 07-01-2006 07:27 AM

Bill

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...rakeducts2.jpg