CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   transparent top flew OFF (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/1476893-transparent-top-flew-off.html)

vette-oholic 08-20-2006 03:40 AM

transparent top flew OFF

i was driving down the highway and my TRANSPARENT top flew off. the entire thing. as far as i know, all the latches were locked, so im not sure what to say. im sorta in shock. i drove back and i found the top in 100 pieces. the only thing that makes me feel better is that i know that nobody was hurt. i guess i need to call my insurance company now. my insurance is in new york, but i was visiting NJ for the weekend. i gues that shouldnt matter. do you foresee any issues with insurance? any similar stories? Do you think that my insurance will go up to the point that i shouldnt claim it?

gota07 08-20-2006 03:53 AM

Warranty???

Docbrock 08-20-2006 03:58 AM

first i've heard of a trans top flying....

shaan 08-20-2006 04:25 AM

hmmm thats weird, never heard of transparent roof flying off before

TheDaveMan 08-20-2006 04:38 AM

Man, I feel bad for you!

Is the frame still in place? Or did the whole roof flew off?
When you found the roof, was if with the frame? Could you see the latches and in what position they were?

juiceman03070 08-20-2006 07:26 AM

You forgot to latch it....and you are not the first....:yesnod:

greenie99 08-20-2006 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by vette-oholic
i was driving down the highway and my TRANSPARENT top flew off. the entire thing. as far as i know, all the latches were locked, so im not sure what to say. im sorta in shock. i drove back and i found the top in 100 pieces. the only thing that makes me feel better is that i know that nobody was hurt. i guess i need to call my insurance company now. my insurance is in new york, but i was visiting NJ for the weekend. i gues that shouldnt matter. do you foresee any issues with insurance? any similar stories? Do you think that my insurance will go up to the point that i shouldnt claim it?

Let me get this right. The clear top from your 05 flew off. We wont know if, in fact, you didnt latch it correctly or you did. There really isnt anything to "come apart" on those tops.

capevettes 08-20-2006 07:46 AM

"As far as I know all the latches were locked"? Sounds like you didn't fasten it up properly. You may have trouble getting insurance to pay for this. There is nothing on this top that can fail like the painted roof. Oh well, don't beat yourself up on it.

Grumpy 08-20-2006 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by juiceman03070

:iagree:

not08crmanymore 08-20-2006 08:04 AM

You shouldn't have a problem getting ins.to pay for this,but a new top is around 1100,maybe less if you find one in parts for sale on here,which there is 1 or 2 there for sale now,and if you have a 500$$ deductible,than you'll get half the money,unless you can get it covered under the glass portion of your insurance,if you have that,because that's no raise on ins.rates and no deductible.P.S. this wouldn't be a warranty issue unless you prove defective latches.

AFVETTE 08-20-2006 08:49 AM

In all my years of owning a vette I have NEVER EVER read of an incident where a Corvette top came off the car "LATCHED". NEVER.

Something isn't right. It sure sounds like the top wasn't latched to me. Good luck with the insurance claim.

Tom

Wayne O 08-20-2006 09:39 AM

Sorry about your roof and glad nobody was injured. I agree it likely wasn't latched-down properly or there was a failure of a latch. If a latch failure, I would try the warranty approach. I would be interested to know what the insurance company would say if you claimed this under 'full glass' coverage (let us know the results if you go that route). If claimed otherwise on your insurance, they would likely deem this an 'at-fault' incident and raise your rates accordingly. It might be better just to eat it.

I have a friend with Geico insurance....he called to "inquire" about filing a claim. He then decided it best not to file. At that point, the Geico rep said they still had to consider it an 'incident' on his record simply because they were now aware of it (irregardless of whether he filed a claim or not). My friend then switched insurance carriers.

talon90 08-20-2006 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by juiceman03070

:iagree: I'd have to go with this one too. Many, many C5 members have had this issue and you will not be the last.

WEF's 95 08-20-2006 10:36 AM

With my luck, that's when the rain would start.

vette-oholic 08-20-2006 10:42 AM

actually, it did rain a for a minute and everythng inside got wet, but it was light rain and it was quick and i figured it was the least of my problems.

Originally Posted by WEF's 95
With my luck, that's when the rain would start.

vette-oholic 08-20-2006 10:43 AM

question?

It just occured to me that I cant just buy any transparent top, right?

Mine was tinted blue. I though this was because I have LMB color, unless they are ALL tinted blue???

not08crmanymore 08-20-2006 10:46 AM

thanks for the replies. what if i claim that the top was stolen
Why would you do that ????You'll run the risk of insurance fraud when there's no need to,especially for 1100 bucks,or less.!!Just claim it and see what happems,although like I said before,if you have a deductible,it may not be worth the claim trouble.

ExRedRacer 08-20-2006 10:46 AM

thanks for the replies. what if i claim that the top was stolen?

I sure wouldn't put that thought on a public forum. Insurance company guys read this forum too...:leaving:

'06 Quicksilver Z06 08-20-2006 10:49 AM

thanks for the replies. what if i claim that the top was stolen?

They call that insurance fraud and you can go to jail for it.

You forgot to latch it. Used to happen over in the C5 section all the time. It can happen to anyone. Take your medicine and replace the top out of your own pocket.

Are you sure it was tinted blue? All of them are tinted black I believe.

vette-oholic 08-20-2006 10:51 AM

what do you mean claim it as "full glass covereage"?
YOu mean like when you crack a windshield and theres no deductible?
Since the framework is missing, I m going to guess that I cant go that route.

[QUOTE=Wayne O] I would be interested to know what the insurance company would say if you claimed this under 'full glass' coverage (let us know the results if you go that route).

QUOTE]