CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Water Base Auto Paint (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/1537837-water-base-auto-paint.html)

19vette80 10-31-2006 11:00 AM

Water Base Auto Paint

I use to painted cars for about fifteen years and just do it as a hobby now. For friends family and myself. I keep up with the new products. I,ve been looking at the new water base products. When i restore my 76 i'm going to try this product. http://www.autoaircolors.com/index.htm
But it would help with the neighbors problem.

jimvette999 10-31-2006 11:23 AM

I thought water based paint came out in the 80's???

It taint' no good. Peels off. Many GM buyers "tried" to get warranty on paint jobs with little success.

Fill me in on what I'm missing please.

:cheers:

Jim

19vette80 10-31-2006 11:30 AM

From what i've been checking into this is the new and improved back in the 80's i used the primer with good results paint not so good. I've talked to some old painter friends of mine that have used this and they have been impressed. they say the water base have came along way in the last year.

crazywelder 10-31-2006 11:48 AM

I understand that California is changing some regulations in 2009 that might force body shops to use water base paints.

I've used the water base primers and sealers with conventional topcoats before with no problems. Transtar makes an excellent sandable water base primer for urethane bumpers. But I have not tried the water base topcoats yet.

lvrpool32 10-31-2006 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by 19vette80
I use to painted cars for about fifteen years and just do it as a hobby now. For friends family and myself. I keep up with the new products. I,ve been looking at the new water base products. When i restore my 76 i'm going to try this product. http://www.autoaircolors.com/index.htm
But it would help with the neighbors problem.

I have used their paint for airburshing on bikes and stuff, they are good, but I dont think I would do a whole car with it.

I used to work for GM in the 80's and 90's and they started using waterbased primers in the early 90's.

Nick

19vette80 10-31-2006 12:56 PM

As a ex painter then becoming a it tech following the tech wave there will always be something better. Synthetic - laquer - Enamel - imron - the new urathanes who knows what the futere will bring? I have to try and keep up with the times. I will post the results when i try this on my 76.

jimvette999 10-31-2006 02:21 PM

I've shot an 84 GMC pickup and my 76 Vette with Imron. Is it true they no longer make/offer Imron?

:lurk:

Jim

bondoboy 10-31-2006 07:41 PM

Imron is still available. We sell it every day. $$$$

CF6873 10-31-2006 09:31 PM

Imron now has 3 different versions. The original is still available. About 15 years ago Dupont introduced Imron 5000/6000 which is a higher solids than the original. And last year they brought out Imron Elite which is different from the others. These paints are used by every major big rig manufacturer with the exception of Navistar.

jimvette999 11-01-2006 09:16 AM

Thanks for the info about Imron...sorry if I highjacked thread a little.

Jim :cheers:

C3 4ME 11-01-2006 12:49 PM

Classic Trucks magazine just did a buildup on a 56 F100 pickup and painted it with water based paint. There might be some info there to look up on the paint. Of course in the magazine pics it looked great.

68/70Vette 11-01-2006 01:45 PM

What makes water based paints durable? If the paint is wet for a long time, will it start to come off?

crazywelder 11-01-2006 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
What makes water based paints durable? If the paint is wet for a long time, will it start to come off?

Water base paint has about 50% less solvent in it so it's not solvent free. It will be in our future. Here is an excerpt from Dupont's PR News this week.

However, in 2009, California's two largest air quality management districts will impose emissions regulations that shop owners fear will slow their paint operations, costing them efficiency and productivity.

"Our new DuPont(TM) Cromax(R) Pro waterborne products represent a real technological breakthrough because they will help collision repair businesses comply with the new regulations while saving labor."

When the new regulations were announced, some shop operators worried that waterborne finishes would add time and effort to the painting process. However, unlike solvent-based color coats that require painters to wait while solvent "flashes off" or evaporates, additional coats of water-based Cromax(R) Pro can be applied while the first coat is still wet, saving labor time. In addition, fewer layers of water-based color coats are required to achieve a high-quality automotive finish, saving more time and reducing the amount of paint used.

Traditional automotive base coats contain 6.2 pounds of solvent per gallon of product, while DuPont(TM) Cromax(R) Pro reduces its use of solvents nearly 50 percent. The new aftermarket paints will be introduced in California on March 1, 2007. Several major U.S. and European automakers already use waterborne paint systems in their assembly plants.

Sprzout 11-01-2006 03:49 PM

I know I saw DuPont's new water based paints at the Good Guys car show here in San Diego, back in April...INCREDIBLE color. I don't know how well it holds up, per se, but the painters standing there were saying it went through the guns well.

They DID say to clean the body within an inch of its life just before you laid down the basecoat; apparently if there's ANY oils on the surface (fingerprint oils, foreign solvents, etc) the paint will just bubble & crack.

And, the price was right, from what I could tell...I, however, haven't a clue what the durability of the stuff is.

MELVIN 11-02-2006 08:54 AM

Saturn has been using water based paints for years

There is nothing wrong with water based base coats. Kar Kolors has sold it for years

Base coat is water based. Clear coat is the same as you would use on conventional base coats

Ive used it, it works, and you will save about 1/3 on paint costs

Adherence is NOT an issue. The surface is preppep just like conventional paints

19vette80 11-02-2006 09:44 AM

Thanks Melvin i really wanted to hear from someone that has used it. i started painting in 1979 and 98% of that time i used ditzler urathane and loved it but the new waterbase intrest me.