CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   If you use zMax, read this- VERY IMPORTANT! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/157126-if-you-use-zmax-read-this-very-important.html)

Andy1983 09-26-2001 06:08 PM

If you use zMax, read this- VERY IMPORTANT!

If you are unfamiliar with this company, they are called zMax. Supposedly the best engine/transmission/fuel treatment company around. Here is their add-

The zMax Power System Treatment Kit includes: 12 oz. Fuel Formula, 12 oz. Engine Formula, 4 oz. Transmission Formula, and 12 oz. Small Engine Formula. zMax Power System soaks into metals with its micro lubricating molecules for increased horsepower, reduced fuel consumption, and decreased emissions.

In the engine, zMax helps restore valve and piston ring sealing for a smoother running engine, restored combustion efficiency, more horsepower, better acceleration, and improved fuel mileage.
In the fuel system, zMax lubricates injector nozzles, cleans carbon residue, oxygen sensors, and catalytic converter.
For the transmission, zMax cleans varnish and deposits and helps repair front seal leaks for smoother shifting. zMax treatment is recommended every 6,000 miles or 6 months.
zMAX™ is not an oil additive!
Unlike many popular oil additives, which contain chlorinated paraffins, Teflon®, moly, tcp or other solids or chemicals, zMAX™ is a pure micro-lubricating oil that treats the metal... not the oil!

Includes 150,000 mile Limited Warranty and improved gas mileage increase guarantee!

Well, I was going to buy it, because I only saw good review on it. Then I saw this from the Federal Trade Commision website-

For Release: February 1, 2001
FTC Sues Speedway Motorsports and Oil-Chem Subsidiary

Performance Claims For zMax Auto Additives Are Unsubstantiated, FTC Charges

The Federal Trade Commission has filed suit in U. S. District Court seeking to halt false and misleading advertising for zMax auto additives and has asked the court to order refunds to consumers who bought the products. The agency alleges that enhanced performance claims for the product are unsubstantiated, that tests cited to support performance claims actually demonstrated that motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion than motor oil alone, and that the three different products - an engine additive, a fuel line additive and a transmission additive - were all actually tinted mineral oil. zMax is manufactured by Oil-Chem, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Speedway Motorsports, Inc. Speedway, based in Concord, North Carolina, operates NASCAR race tracks in the South and in California, in addition to marketing the zMax products.

According to the FTC complaint, since at least May 1999, zMax ran infomercials touting its "Power System," a $39 package of three additives to be used in the engine, fuel line and transmission of automobiles. The infomercials feature testimonials from consumers and race car drivers making claims such as, "I was averaging about 22 miles to the gallon on the highway. I installed the zMax and so I jumped right up to about 28 miles per gallon;" and "zMax guarantees a minimum of 10 percent gas mileage increase." Other marketing and promotional pieces claim, "zMax with LinKite has the scientific, CRC L38 proof it takes your car to the MAX!" and "Why zMAX Works - Cuts carbon build-up on valve stems 66%; Lowers wear on valve stems 66%; Lowers wear on piston skirts 60%; Reduces blow-by leakage 17.7%; Increases combustion efficiency 9.25%; Lowers fuel consumption 8.5% - Results of an independent CRC L38 test."

According to the FTC, the CRC L38 test is a standard auto industry tool to measure the bearing corrosion protection properties of motor oils. In February/March 1997, an independent laboratory performed two CRC L38 tests of zMax for Speedway and Oil Chem. In those tests, motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion as motor oil alone. The complaint also states that the defendants fabricated one "report" from the two test reports, eliminating the bearing corrosion results and all other negative test results, and then used that report and the "official laboratory results" - similarly edited to remove detrimental data results - as sales tools in the infomercial and on the zMax Web site.

The FTC's complaint alleges that the defendants did not possess and rely on reasonable substantiation for the following claims in the infomercial, on the Web site and in brochures that zMax:

increases gas mileage;
increases gas mileage by a minimum of 10%
reduces engine wear;
reduces or eliminates engine wear at startup;
reduces engine corrosion;
extends engine life; and
reduces emissions.
The agency's complaint also alleges that the defendants falsely represent that the results of the CRC L38 test proved that zMax:

increases gas mileage;
reduces engine wear;
extends engine life;
lowers fuel consumption by 8.5%
lowers wear on valve stems by 66%
lowers wear on piston skirts by 60%; and
cuts carbon build-up on valve stems by 66%.
Finally, the FTC charges that in consumer testimonials and endorsements in their advertising, the defendants did not have substantiation for the representation that the endorsers' experiences were, "The actual and current opinions, findings, beliefs, and/or experiences of those consumers; and the typical or ordinary experience of members of the public who use the product."

The FTC is asking the court to bar the defendants from violating the FTC Act, which prohibits deceptive acts and to order consumer redress or require that they give up their ill-gotten gains.

This case is the latest in a series of FTC law-enforcement initiatives targeting unsubstantiated claims made by auto additive manufacturers. The FTC previously halted allegedly deceptive advertising by the marketers of Dura Lube, Motor Up, Prolong, Valvoline, Slick 50, and STP, other major brands of engine treatment products.

The Commission vote to file the complaint was 5-0. It was filed in U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina, in Greensboro, January 31, 2001.
Well... looks like I need a new engine/fuel/transmission cleaner. http://www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/smile.gif
Any suggestions?

rbridges 09-26-2001 06:28 PM

Re: If you use zMax, read this- VERY IMPORTANT! (Andy1983)

this looks familiar(posted previously?), but it may have involved the duralube products. It seemed like it involved unsubstantiated claims in their advertising.

69er 09-26-2001 06:31 PM

I believe Slick 50 and Split Fire plugs companies were fined heavily also.

Andy1983 09-26-2001 06:36 PM

Re: If you use zMax, read this- VERY IMPORTANT! (69er)

Slick 50 too??!?!?

What is a treatment that you CAN use?

Ram Air Tony 09-26-2001 11:49 PM

Andy....this belongs in the tech section....so i will move it to the C5 Tech section http://www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/smile.gif

thanks

Sam Lin 09-26-2001 11:58 PM

The FTC previously halted allegedly deceptive advertising by the marketers of Dura Lube, Motor Up, Prolong, Valvoline, Slick 50, and STP, other major brands of engine treatment products.
That's basically every one that's out there.

Here's my belief on it: Modern fuels contain enough detergents to keep any engine operating smoothly and efficiently. Modern oils, especially synthetics, provide protection/performance that CANNOT be economically improved-think about it. We pay near $5 a quart for our synth fill. If they could add some snake oil to it for the price we pay for any of the abovementioned brands, it'd still be up to $6-8 a can-that's cheaper than Redline, well within what the market will pay. It'd be economical for any oil processor to modify their oil for proven gains, they'd sell like crazy, and we've proven with the sales of Redline that the market will bear it if the benefit is there.

If you want to run additives, you're probably hurting more than you're helping. If you want better performance/protection, run Redline or AMS Oil.

Sam

Son93SL2 09-27-2001 11:14 AM

Thanks Andy.

I had asked about this before and someone posted this article. I was |--| <--- close to pouring it in. I'm very glad I didn't.

99HT 09-27-2001 11:15 AM

Unfortunately the government let this happen by allowing broadcasters to fill dead air time with infomercials selling snake oil and fitness junk. Without mass amounts of TV time, and endorsements from greedy used up celebrity and sports figures, the impact would be tiny. The broadcaters contribute huge campaign contributions to the politicians to stop the FTC from doing it's job. The fact that "so called" health food companies can sell suppliments and vitamins with absolutely no regulation or accountability
is a major problem. They can make any BS claim that they want without any consequences. We have teenagers and people in their 20's dropping dead on sportfields and wrestling mats because they took multiple suppliments to supposidly enhance their performance or looks. This is criminal behavior that should get serious jail time, but very few will ever go to jail. The government loves to collect fines to feed it's coffers. Why don't we ask Clinton why he pardoned the largest suppliment kingpin in the country who was under indictment. I quess that huge contribution to the Clinton library slush fund had nothing to do with it.

We are a nation full of morons who think their beer guts and fat thighs will dissapear if they buy that miracle suppliment or machine of the moment. We don't have to diet or eat sensibly, just take this little pill or buy this machine and all our problems will go away. If we just buy this fuel/oil additive, new tornado intake or fueline magnet, our cars will run better than new.

I find it discusting that some of the most famous names in motorsports have either invested or promoted many of the engine suppliments named in the above lists. They should be put in court to face some charges. What did they know, how much money were they promised and are they an investor in the product.

It is amazing how many people on this forum have fallen for the same mod/additive BS.

sts57c5 09-27-2001 11:45 PM

Re: If you use zMax, read this- VERY IMPORTANT! (rbridges)

thanks for the info. i have seen the program several times and they even have a vette in the program.. thanks

AVETTE 09-28-2001 12:08 AM

WELL SAID 99HT!!! All the marketing BS for the so-called snake oil that produces horsepower, what a joke. Just like the 'natural cures' for all the diseases that the top medical minds in the country can't solve, YEAH RIGHT http://www.corvetteforum.cc/zeroimg/...withstupid.gif 99HT is dead on, bravo. :cheers:

bsaez843 05-23-2014 11:54 PM

zmax is the real deal

Originally Posted by Andy1983 (Post 1275218)
If you are unfamiliar with this company, they are called zMax. Supposedly the best engine/transmission/fuel treatment company around. Here is their add-

Well, I was going to buy it, because I only saw good review on it. Then I saw this from the Federal Trade Commision website-

Well... looks like I need a new engine/fuel/transmission cleaner. http://www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/smile.gif
Any suggestions?

Well I can tell you from personal experience zmax is not snake oil, at least not the trans formula. I tried it when my car started to shift very rough. Within seconds of adding it the trans started to shift like a new car again. That was a couple weeks ago. And now the trans is running smoother than ever as I drive more. And for only 10 bucks you can't beat it. I am sold and I will try out the other products when I change the oil.

dannyman 05-24-2014 07:57 AM

Guess there have been product improvements in the last 13 1/2 years.

:lol:

Dannyman

Sox-Fan 05-24-2014 09:49 AM

:spam

His one post ever was to dig up a 13 year old post and push a product.

Vette_DD 05-24-2014 10:31 AM

Not a forum vendor.

Members are not prohibited from mentioning it when they have a good (or bad, for that matter) experience with a non-supporting vendor. But such mentions cannot be so specific (address, phone number, e-mail address, URL, price, part number, offer to send contact information via PMs, etc.) or so frequent that they become marketing and promotional references.