CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   San Rafael chevrolet went out of their way to replace our damaged vette with a new, b (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/1581344-san-rafael-chevrolet-went-out-of-their-way-to-replace-our-damaged-vette-with-a-new-b.html)

LTC Z06 12-27-2006 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by gearheaddroppings (Post 1558267347)
The owner of this dealership and his/her legal staff are not thinking in their best business interests at this moment in time.

This post will go on for years just like the 4-post lift collapse from 2002. See http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...=lift+collapse

Never under-estimate the power of the internet as this thread will probably be read by 10,000 enthusiasts by March. The negative publicity for San Rafael Chevrolet will far outweigh the cost of a new Z06 in my opinion. Think about it, typing in San Rafael Chevrolet into Google within a few months will probably bring this thread to the top five results. Overall, a PR nightmare is about to unfold before their eyes.

As someone who makes working on the internet for a living, mark my words - San Rafael Chevrolet will be hearing about this case for years to come even if they give you what you want today. Currently, there are over 98,000 Corvette Forum links alone cached within Google. This one will be picked up within the next few days (Merry Christmas Threads for 2006 have already been picked up so the site is getting crawled daily) and I bet it starts working its way to the top in terms of relevance (ie "San Rafael Chevrolet Corvette") right away.

I am sorry to hear about your case. It just plain sucks and should have never happened.

Using this, "San Rafael Chevrolet Corvette forum" it's #6 on google.

6 speed Sid 12-27-2006 03:31 PM

There is no good excuse for this to have happened. The judge or jury will be favorable toward the car owner in this case. A good lawyer could get this settled out of court with a favorable outcome for the Vette owner. I do not believe the dealership wants this to go to court and most likely is hoping they can scare off any lawsuit.

AFVETTE 12-27-2006 03:32 PM

The owner of this dealership and his/her legal staff are not thinking in their best business interests at this moment in time.

This post will go on for years just like the 4-post lift collapse from 2002. See http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...=lift+collapse

Never under-estimate the power of the internet as this thread will probably be read by 10,000 enthusiasts by March. The negative publicity for San Rafael Chevrolet will far outweigh the cost of a new Z06 in my opinion. Think about it, typing in San Rafael Chevrolet into Google within a few months will probably bring this thread to the top five results. Overall, a PR nightmare is about to unfold before their eyes.

As someone who makes working on the internet for a living, mark my words - San Rafael Chevrolet will be hearing about this case for years to come even if they give you what you want today. Currently, there are over 98,000 Corvette Forum links alone cached within Google. This one will be picked up within the next few days (Merry Christmas Threads for 2006 have already been picked up so the site is getting crawled daily) and I bet it starts working its way to the top in terms of relevance (ie "San Rafael Chevrolet Corvette") right away.

I am sorry to hear about your case. It just plain sucks and should have never happened.

Being retired USAF I have forwarded this URL to some Senior Enlisted Advisor's (Chief’s) at Travis AFB Ca and have asked they circulate this among all enlisted USAF personnel in the San Francisco area. I’d suggest any Army/Navy/USMC and Coast Guard CF members do the same.

I'm sure military bases/personnel in the area will be interested in how a local dealer treats customer's vehicles and owners.

Tom

gmland 12-27-2006 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by mvcrash (Post 1558267832)
Put a big sign on your car and park it in front of the dealership. See what that stirs.

"I brought my car in for an oil change and this is what their technician did to my car on a joy ride"

great idea:thumbs:

ask1ed 12-27-2006 03:43 PM

If he gives us the new car, at our current loan rate and amount, I will put that in the first post of both threads. But you do have a point.

gearheaddroppings 12-27-2006 03:44 PM

Google has picked up the thread. If you type in "San Rafael Chevrolet Vette Wrecked" into Google, it shows up on the first page. It is appearing higher with a Craiglist listing for some reason.

The more it gets back-linked, is read, and is "spawned" into other forums (Camaro, Impala SS, Cobalt SS, Monte Carlo, etc.), the more it will crawl to the top of the searches. Imagine if you were to type in "San Rafael Chevrolet" in a few weeks and have it be the second listing after the business.

If it gets back-linked on a big blog site like www.fark.com or www.digg.com, the press will pick it up and the owner/lawyers of the dealership will have fun taking calls. The press loves this kind of "David vs. Goliath" stuff. The drug bottles under the front seat are the capper to me. If I were a beat TV reporter looking for a good consumer "screw job" story, I would pick it up.

Rich Z 12-27-2006 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by catbert (Post 1558267071)
His lawyer wouldn't be laughing if he seriously thought you'd take him to court. HE DOES NOT WANT THIS TO GO TO COURT. I worked in a courthouse a long time, and these cases almost never go well for the dealer - even in cases not as clear cut as yours. This lawyer main job is to keep the dealer out of court. Remember that.

You are damned right he doesn't want this to go to court! It would be highly improbably to pick a jury where most, if not all, have not gotten screwed by some car dealer in the past. And they will ALL be thinking "now's my chance to get even with those SOBs!".

If that dealer's attorney does not understand this, then they are throwing they money away on that legal representation.

Hell, if I were on the jury, I would be asking about what the maximum statutory limits are on punitive damages for the plaintiff.

ask1ed 12-27-2006 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 1558268301)
You are damned right he doesn't want this to go to court! It would be highly improbably to pick a jury where most, if not all, have not gotten screwed by some car dealer in the past. And they will ALL be thinking "now's my chance to get even with those SOBs!".

If that dealer's attorney does not understand this, then they are throwing they money away on that legal representation.

Hell, if I were on the jury, I would be asking about what the maximum statutory limits are on punitive damages for the plaintiff.

I think I will start calling you consiglieri.

gearheaddroppings 12-27-2006 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by ask1ed (Post 1558268022)
If he gives us the new car, at our current loan rate and amount, I will put that in the first post of both threads. But you do have a point. Some of this damage has been done already. It will only get worse from here. I guess we could delete all our posts also.

I think that the "ball is rolling" on this one. He will want to settle over the next few days unless he has really thick skin. I would guess that Corvette clubs across the country will be talking about this one within the next few months. Same with Camaro and tuner clubs.

It will be picked up on a much broader forum very soon as well. A story like "Corvette owner takes his car in for antenna repair - car totaled during joyride" would be great water cooler conversation in any office. This would be the extreme "nightmare" scenario that anyone with a new car would dread as almost any person can relate.

Again, San Rafael Chevy better "duck and cover"!

gearheaddroppings 12-27-2006 04:47 PM

I hate it when I am right. Go to Digg.com and type "Corvette" into the search box. This one will pick up steam on a national level.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Title - "Corvette owner takes car in for antenna repair - havoc ensues."

matth1jd matth1jd submitted 25 minutes ago (forums.corvetteforum.com)

A Corvette owner took his Corvette in for a minor warranty repair. A dealership employee took the car for a joyride and caused 15k in damage to the car. It gets better when little orange bottles are found under the seat...
---------------------------------------------------------------

Digg.com is a major national news posting site. Is "matth1jd" a member of the Corvette forum? I don't even have a user account with Digg.

cthusker 12-27-2006 06:21 PM

Well now the thread has made Yahoo. This dealership is trying very hard to destroy all his new corvette business. Imagine a potential vette buyer typing in San Rafael Chevrolet and seeing this.... they will run not walk away from this place! I would have serious reservations about buying a vette from any dealer that treats it's customers like this!

C6 Corvette Forum | 2005 Corvette | Pictures | Photos | Forum | Forums
Corvette Forum | C6 Corvette ... San Rafael Chevrolet... by ask1ed. Today 01:44 AM. 54,874. 959,186 ... Corvette Forum Statistics. Threads: 1,412,984, Posts: 19, ...forums.corvetteforum.com/zeromain - 115k - Cached - More from this site

sjohnson2615 12-27-2006 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by ask1ed (Post 1558267257)
Apples and oranges. If it's a $17,000 scratch, it's two apples. The car had 5083 miles, and did not have a single scratch on it. You go into a store and start rough housing around with your buddy, and have an "accident", where you knock over a $17,000 vase, and you buy it. It's not an accident if you are joy riding and rough housing. An accident is something that's not avoidable and does not violate bailment.

I would love to see him get a new car out of this.I was stretching a bit to make a point with my examples.If I am driving my car or it is just parked in my driveway and some moron hits it due to his stupidity and does $17000 worth of damage to my car,I will not get a new car from him or his insurance company.They are only obligated to make it "like new" again.Why is this any different?

I think people see " dealer" and think "deep pockets".

TrackNoob 12-27-2006 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by gearheaddroppings (Post 1558268720)
I hate it when I am right. Go to Digg.com and type "Corvette" into the search box. This one will pick up steam
[snip]
I don't even have a user account with Digg.

I do, and I just "Dug" the article, so it now has seven 'digs'

:thumbs:

KingAustin 12-27-2006 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by sjohnson2615 (Post 1558270444)
I would love to see him get a new car out of this.I was stretching a bit to make a point with my examples.If I am driving my car or it is just parked in my driveway and some moron hits it due to his stupidity and does $17000 worth of damage to my car,I will not get a new car from him or his insurance company.They are only obligated to make it "like new" again.Why is this any different?

It's different because the dealer is a business, someone working for that business F'ed up big time, and he had the chance to make things right, instead he makes a horrible business decision, doesn't give him a corvette rental or even one the day of the wreck, is laughing at him, etc. It would have been cheaper for him to just give him a new one instead of now being in the top searches under a customer service catastrophe.

Rob 99 12-27-2006 07:45 PM

Did the moron employee who wrecked your Vette get fired??

ask1ed 12-27-2006 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by sjohnson2615 (Post 1558270444)

They replaced the car as he promised to do.

ask1ed 12-27-2006 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rob 99 (Post 1558270968)
Did the moron employee who wrecked your Vette get fired??

The dealer stood up for him and has not fired him yet.

ask1ed 12-27-2006 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by TrackNoob (Post 1558270525)
I do, and I just "Dug" the article, so it now has seven 'digs'

:thumbs:

zzzzz.

Hoonose 12-27-2006 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by ask1ed (Post 1558268325)
I think I will start calling you consiglieri.

To think something like this would ever reach a jury is too far fetched, and a would be a waste of precious court time and resources.

A problem with increasing the pressure on the dealer through publicity, is that many people may wonder just what the problem is if the dealer fixes your car properly. You could end up on the wrong side if the public feels that the 'poor little rich boy's ego is all in a pinch'.

I mean no offense by any of this.

ask1ed 12-27-2006 08:23 PM

[QUOTE=Hoonose;1558271348]To think something like this would ever reach a jury is too far fetched, and a would be a waste of precious court time and resources.