CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   inside of my car is all wet, and it smells bad. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/1621598-inside-of-my-car-is-all-wet-and-it-smells-bad.html)

69dodgecharger 02-11-2007 03:31 PM

inside of my car is all wet, and it smells bad.

So it rained this weekend and my zo6 is outside. I got in the car today because it was nice out and the first thing I noticed was a horible smell, and then the water. MY headliner, and carpet were/are soaked. I never had this problem until I recieved my car back from the body shop after it was repaired. I noticed water coming in by the kick panels, and behind the side windows, down the plastic panels and onto the floor. I also noticed the inside if the windows were covered with water, not fog or anything like that, but they were soaked from the inside, back glass, windshield, side windows ect....

Any ideas to what I need to demand the body shop repiar, and/or replace?

gr8one2113 02-11-2007 06:40 PM

I have had the same problem, man. If you have a removable top like I do, then You'll want to make sure the seals are properly seated. There should be NO bulges or gaps between the Windows etc.

I had to towel dry as much of the water out of the carpet as I could. Then I hit it with a blow dryer on low heat for a long time!!! I threw in a few Moisture absorbent packs under the seats and have been careful when removing and replacing my tops if ever!

The smell can be removed with any anti-bacterial spray. OUST works well. but there is an "Ozone" spray that kills the funk. I can't recall the name, though.

I know others on the forum will know it.

ALSO, you MAY have to remove the seats and the carpet to get ALL the water that has soaked through to the Floor boards. I had to do that to my 94 Camaro... :ack:

ajg1915 02-11-2007 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by 69dodgecharger (Post 1558913392)
So it rained this weekend and my zo6 is outside. I got in the car today because it was nice out and the first thing I noticed was a horible smell, and then the water. MY headliner, and carpet were/are soaked. I never had this problem until I recieved my car back from the body shop after it was repaired. I noticed water coming in by the kick panels, and behind the side windows, down the plastic panels and onto the floor. I also noticed the inside if the windows were covered with water, not fog or anything like that, but they were soaked from the inside, back glass, windshield, side windows ect....

Any ideas to what I need to demand the body shop repiar, and/or replace?

Sounds like they had the roof off and that it needs to re-sealed as they must of missed a few spots.

I would take it back and call insurance company about the repair. Oh get new carpet, nothing worse than mold in your car.

Good luck with repairs. I would look for a vette repair shop to fix problem.

AC54ME 02-11-2007 06:58 PM

He states the Vette is a Z06 - no removable top to my knowledge (unless it a C6, and then all the tops are removable - thanks to GM quality engineering :rofl:)

He states he had body work - wonder if the cowl drains are clogged? Of course, this would not explain the top being wet -so if they removed the top during the process I would envision the issue is the seal.

If so - take it back - make them fix it, and pay for removal and reinstallation of water damaged parts :yesnod:

DevilDog II 02-11-2007 06:58 PM

You didn't drive to Florida without diapers on, did you? :D

69dodgecharger 02-11-2007 08:14 PM

my car is a zo6, so no removable top. I know for a fact they removed the drip rail moldings and weatherstriping. I am def. going to push for new carpet because it is soaked. Guess I'll make a trip down to the shop tomorow.
Thanks

Vetteman Jack 02-11-2007 09:09 PM

Good luck getting all these leaks repaired. Body shop should replace the carpet and headliner too.

Garrett W 02-11-2007 09:46 PM

Ehhhh what a bust.... Sorry to hear that!:eek:

zTrek 02-12-2007 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by DevilDog II (Post 1558916238)

:rofl: :rofl:

black bat 02-12-2007 12:42 AM

try taking a hose with very little pressure and running water on the back glass and look for leaks they may have removed it and reset it

tstar 02-12-2007 01:35 AM

I have the window tip-in and blow out clip adjustment instructions in a Word format. If you want em PM me your EMail addy...

BC has a write up that's imbedded in a sticky on the weatherstripping around the door hinge area that needs attention occasionally as well.

Good luck!

tstar 02-12-2007 02:00 AM

You do realise that a few letter changes on this title and you'd be in serious trouble!!!!!!

:blueangel:

:rofl:

NOWUCME 02-12-2007 02:22 AM

Your insurance may cover this if the shop doesn't come through. If you get everything dry the smell will go away but all wet spots should be checked for rot or rust. Best way to dry is get carpets out or get air under them, a lot of hot air and from fans. Water gets trapped between layers of flooring etc so you need someone with moisture testing equipment to check floors etc. You may think it's dry and it's not!!

A company called Serv-Pro can check for being dry, they do it on insurance claims in houses.

WetteVette 02-12-2007 02:32 AM

Wet Vette

Man, you've got a $hit load of toys! I owned a '69 383 RoadRunner in '76. Fun car, but nothing compared to my '97 Vette. Hope you get your problem resolved soon so you won't be in a WetteVette!

Herringchoker 02-12-2007 03:16 AM

Also you may want to start W/a shopvac before you use up your dry towel supply, you might be suprized how much H2O can enter in a short amount of time:cheers:

DBRASUE 02-12-2007 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by AC54ME (Post 1558916236)
He states the Vette is a Z06 - no removable top to my knowledge (unless it a C6, and then all the tops are removable - thanks to GM quality engineering :rofl:)

He states he had body work - wonder if the cowl drains are clogged? Of course, this would not explain the top being wet -so if they removed the top during the process I would envision the issue is the seal.

If so - take it back - make them fix it, and pay for removal and reinstallation of water damaged parts :yesnod:

The original poster did not say he had a removable top.:smash:

DBRASUE 02-12-2007 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by DevilDog II (Post 1558916238)

Hookers can leave a bad smell in your car...:leaving:

Drav1212 02-12-2007 03:47 PM

Here is an IDea, do not do anything, the next time it rains park the car in the raina nd sit in it and see where the water is coming from. Dante Phd, MD, ESQ.

CertInsaneC5 02-12-2007 05:05 PM

You also will want to check the computer module "ECBM" ? in the passengers foot well. If that got wet you could be in for major repair bill

scaperman 02-12-2007 05:10 PM

Are the utters clogged