CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   4+3 trans swaps (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/1662863-4-3-trans-swaps.html)

5speeds 01-18-2008 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by JLeatherman (Post 1563677199)
Atleast the T5 was designed, in some aspect, to have a mount at the tailshaft. In a Camaro, the T5 tailshaft mount takes much the same twisting force as in the C4.

No, it does not because the CAMARO application USES the mount pad....that was the point I was trying to make. So now you are eliminating a mount point, do that in the Camaro and the transmission smashes up against the floor. It was just a point to bring up since as I said the factory cases cracked. The T5 extension cannot be compared to the beef of a TKO, ZF, or factory casting.

There is no float in this application, and unlike the Camaro it must be locked solid. I'm am not saying it won't work, but its just a point to consider.

DanZ51 01-18-2008 10:00 PM

Interesting point Paul (5Speeds). I'm glad that you added to this thread.

I wonder if a strut rod(s) would be of any benifit? (Similar to struts found on 4WD transfer case to transmission assemblies). 'Not sure where to mount them though, where it would actually help take some of the torsional stress.

5speeds 01-21-2008 06:31 PM

Years ago on the S-10 T5's there was a lower fin on the tail that reinforcement straps bolted to that "V"'d out into the bell. The idea was to keep the assembly from twisting. Something like this may help, but the cracking problem existed on the factory 4+3 anyway. People always thought it was just a bolt leaking on the bottom of the case mid section, but actually the case would crack at that point and oil would like around the gasket and out of the crack.

Any one who has a gear lube leak at where the OD unit meets the adapter basically has a cracked section.

88BlackZ-51 01-21-2008 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by 5speeds (Post 1563733563)
Years ago on the S-10 T5's there was a lower fin on the tail that reinforcement straps bolted to that "V"'d out into the bell. The idea was to keep the assembly from twisting. Something like this may help, but the cracking problem existed on the factory 4+3 anyway. People always thought it was just a bolt leaking on the bottom of the case mid section, but actually the case would crack at that point and oil would like around the gasket and out of the crack.

Any one who has a gear lube leak at where the OD unit meets the adapter basically has a cracked section.

paul i just sent you a pm, thanks man.

JLeatherman 01-21-2008 07:35 PM

Hmmm, that ma actually explain my current gear oil leak in my 4+3. It's leakin' out somewhere, and I think it's between the sections. Is the 4-speed part cracked or the OD part? OD still works...

5speeds 01-28-2008 10:58 AM

Tak some brake cleaner and clean up the mid section casting. Its usually dead enter on the bottom. The casting is thin there and cracks from flex..

The fix is simple actually. When I use to rebuild those units, there are 2 12 point bolts that fasten the adapter housing to the 4 speed ( inside). The gasket basically seals the upper portion of the lower hole, but doesn't surround the complete bolt hole. So when it cracks the oil goes into the hole and out the bottom.

What I did was after every 4 speed rebuild was fill the hole with epoxy BEFORE bolting on the OD, so in the event it ever did crack the oil could never leak out.

You would need to pull the trans, remove the OD and seal the hole and of course use a new gasket.

craig brian johnson 01-28-2008 04:28 PM

With a little imagination, you can do just about anything.

I ended up installing a Jerico 4-sp box (race prepped T-10 top loader) in my C4.

It weighs just over 60#. It has straight cut gears for clutchless shifting. You can stack your gears in multiple ratio's. Good to 800 ft/lbs torque.

1984corvette 03-04-2008 10:57 PM

Hey just bought my t-5 and also I bought the adapter a little while ago so soon ill be able to get started

dave_85 03-05-2008 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by 5speeds (Post 1563684681)
The ZF is MASSIVE compared to the T5 and rock solid.

:iagree: I just got my ZF. It is MASSIVE!

JLeatherman 03-05-2008 08:40 AM

I'm most of the way through this. Cutting is done, and the trans went in for test fitting. I'm currently waiting on a stupid little plastic thing I lost while swapping out the tailshaft.

anesthes 03-05-2008 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by JLeatherman (Post 1564400001)
I'm most of the way through this. Cutting is done, and the trans went in for test fitting. I'm currently waiting on a stupid little plastic thing I lost while swapping out the tailshaft.

Did you get around to test mounting the shifter? Curious how it feels.
I thought it was a little high, until I got the ZF6. Seems as if GM designed these to shift like dump trucks.

-- Joe

JLeatherman 03-05-2008 09:50 AM

Nah, I haven't finished cutting the side out of the console yet (the part still attached to the car, not the shifter cover part). I'm gonna snap pics of the shifter and the patching when I get back on track so you can add pics of a 4+3 tunnel to your writeup. It's different than the auto tunnel.

The dealer is supposedly getting me the T5 part I lost, but it won't be here til late this week (which means probably next week). Ah, well, that'll teach me. You might wanna add a pic of the oiler thingy to your writeup and tell people to make sure they look after it ;)

Hey Joe, been meaning to ask, I picked up a "Spectre" rubber boot (cheap chinese copy of a hurst boot). The large one. The trans sits off to one side of the hole I've made in the tunnel. I should center the boot over where the stick actually sits when in neutral, not over the center of the trans, right? Otherwise the boot will always be cocked way to the left and might make the sifter hard to hit 1st in.

Still gotta find me a 'Stang lever and ball. No junkyards around here got one. What year/model am I looking for?

anesthes 03-05-2008 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by JLeatherman (Post 1564400838)
Nah, I haven't finished cutting the side out of the console yet (the part still attached to the car, not the shifter cover part). I'm gonna snap pics of the shifter and the patching when I get back on track so you can add pics of a 4+3 tunnel to your writeup. It's different than the auto tunnel.

The dealer is supposedly getting me the T5 part I lost, but it won't be here til late this week (which means probably next week). Ah, well, that'll teach me. You might wanna add a pic of the oiler thingy to your writeup and tell people to make sure they look after it ;)

Hey Joe, been meaning to ask, I picked up a "Spectre" rubber boot (cheap chinese copy of a hurst boot). The large one. The trans sits off to one side of the hole I've made in the tunnel. I should center the boot over where the stick actually sits when in neutral, not over the center of the trans, right? Otherwise the boot will always be cocked way to the left and might make the sifter hard to hit 1st in.

Still gotta find me a 'Stang lever and ball. No junkyards around here got one. What year/model am I looking for?

I'd sit it wherever it won't interfere with the shifter. I was going to put t over the shifter so the slot was inline with the center of the shifter base. The movement is less closer to the shifter base, so I imagine it wouldn't tug on the boot as much there.

Pix will be nice. I get emails all the time about this swap. It's becoming popular.

-- Joe

lars85 03-11-2008 03:29 PM

4+3 swap

how does the speedometer connect if you swap a 4+3 to 5 or 6 speed?

anesthes 03-11-2008 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by lars85 (Post 1564497412)
how does the speedometer connect if you swap a 4+3 to 5 or 6 speed?

It's in the swap article, but to reiterate, you used an electronic VSS from an 86-90 firebird.

I guess you could probably use an electronic VSS from any thirdgen fbody, if you swap the connector.

-- Joe

5speeds 03-19-2008 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by JLeatherman (Post 1564400838)
The dealer is supposedly getting me the T5 part I lost, but it won't be here til late this week (which means probably next week)....

Should have called me up! I have every part for most T5 transmissions....

anesthes 03-19-2008 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by 5speeds (Post 1564617424)
Should have called me up! I have every part for most T5 transmissions....

He lost that stupid plastic nipple and roller bearing that connects the external gear to the rear case.

-- Joe

JLeatherman 03-19-2008 12:24 PM

I got it and got it back in. All is well. THe car is moving, but I haven't road-tested it truly yet. I posted pics in a new thread.

hangonsnoopy 03-27-2008 07:46 AM

They make a bracket for the T-5 7 t-56

They make a bracket for the T-5 & T-56.
I can't remember who makes it.

anesthes 03-27-2008 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by hangonsnoopy (Post 1564735230)
They make a bracket for the T-5 & T-56.
I can't remember who makes it.

No kidding. :banghead:

-- Joe