CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   [Z06] No need to worry about front license tag in Tx (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/1669474-no-need-to-worry-about-front-license-tag-in-tx.html)

z06Bigbird 04-05-2007 06:10 PM

No need to worry about front license tag in Tx

There have been a few threads on here recently on people getting tickets for no front tag in many states.

I have not heard much about tickets for no front tag in Texas, but here is the latest.

Texas has a regulation that says something like:

Nothing can block the designs or the lettering on a Texas license tag.

Many new car dealers have notified their customers that the dealership will be happy to remove the license plate frames advertising the dealership name.

LOE are stopping Texas drivers with any kind of a license plate frame that infringes on the word Texas or on the designs around the edge of the plate.

State gov approved this.

Personally, I have no problem with this. We put our LEOs in danger all of the time. Perps typically complain that the police had no reason to stop them.

While this initiative may inconvenience us, it will also result in a few less criminals on the street.

When I grew up in PA, police could stop you for wreckless driving if you had only one hand on the steering wheel. That was their catch-all. Police never bothered us, but it gave them opportunities to stop the bad guys.

Ok to start the bashing now.

Ed

Steve Theodore 04-05-2007 06:16 PM

Sounds a bit harsh, but most things in/from/around Texas are. ;)

Windshear 04-05-2007 08:27 PM

My experience is that the local cops could care less. However the DPS will pull you over in a hart beat if the front plate is missing.

mark896 04-05-2007 08:45 PM

4 F-bodies and now a Z06 and never been pulled over (at least for that). I'm from Ft. Worth, by the way.

Mark:flag:

James E. 04-05-2007 09:36 PM

Pulled over for speeding, but never ticketed for not having front plate. I live in Arlington.:flag:

vetterlatethannever 04-05-2007 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Windshear (Post 1559692437)
My experience is that the local cops could care less. However the DPS will pull you over in a hart beat if the front plate is missing.

Opposite here, guess its just luck of the draw.

ptindall 04-05-2007 09:58 PM

I don't see how this law has anything to do with front plates. Looks like it's just about not covering up the edges of plates.

z06Bigbird 04-05-2007 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by ptindall (Post 1559693874)
I don't see how this law has anything to do with front plates. Looks like it's just about not covering up the edges of plates.

You win.

ptindall 04-05-2007 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by z06Bigbird (Post 1559694415)
You win.

:party: But seriously, I was just trying to understand the thread. Making it illigal to cover "texas" does make sense in that Police, or anyone reporting a plate, needs to be able to tell what state the plate is from. I just didn't undertand what it had to do with front plates, which are not even required in Texas, are they?

vetterlatethannever 04-05-2007 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by ptindall (Post 1559695074)
:party: But seriously, I was just trying to understand the thread. Making it illigal to cover "texas" does make sense in that Police, or anyone reporting a plate, needs to be able to tell what state the plate is from. I just didn't undertand what it had to do with front plates, which are not even required in Texas, are they?

:ack: Yep, required.......

FactoryRaceCar 04-05-2007 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by vetterlatethannever (Post 1559693753)
Opposite here, guess its just luck of the draw.

:iagree:

ptindall 04-06-2007 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by vetterlatethannever (Post 1559695277)
:ack: Yep, required.......

That blows. At least you have an 80mph speed limit, highest in the nation. I have it pretty good here. No emissions, no inspection, no front plate, and 75mph highway limits. :flag:

ZeeOSix 04-06-2007 02:19 AM

Every state that has laws requiring a front plate will have the same blah, blah, blah laws about not covering the info on the plate, and not using covers to infringe on reading the plate.

Now if the laws are enforced or not is another subject. :ack:

mark896 04-06-2007 03:44 AM

80mph?? Where??!! Must be in the desert (west Texas)...

DesertLS6 04-06-2007 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by ptindall (Post 1559696260)
That blows. At least you have an 80mph speed limit, highest in the nation. I have it pretty good here. No emissions, no inspection, no front plate, and 75mph highway limits. :flag:

Yeah I love that in AZ, you don't need to worry about registration stickers in the windshield, or front plates, or smog laws, and all that nonsense...plus the roads are wide open and flat!

I drove my car w/o a front plate in TX for 3 and a half years and only got pulled over once for not having a front plate. I just said that I haven't had the chance to bolt it on yet lol and got a warning ... was on my 98 Z28.

The 80mph speed limit mainly applies to I-10 as it runs west out of the San Antonio area towards El Paso ... other highways like I-35 are still at 70mph.

z06Bigbird 04-06-2007 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by DesertLS6 (Post 1559696671)
Yeah I love that in AZ, you don't need to worry about registration stickers in the windshield, or front plates, or smog laws, and all that nonsense...plus the roads are wide open and flat!

I drove my car w/o a front plate in TX for 3 and a half years and only got pulled over once for not having a front plate. I just said that I haven't had the chance to bolt it on yet lol and got a warning ... was on my 98 Z28.

The 80mph speed limit mainly applies to I-10 as it runs west out of the San Antonio area towards El Paso ... other highways like I-35 are still at 70mph.

Neat re the 80 mph. I might be driving to Santa Fe later this summer--IH 10 for part of the trip.

Ed

LT1driver 04-06-2007 09:12 PM

desertls6 is right about the speed limit, still 70 at least out to the midland/odessa area.:cheers:

TEXHAWK0 04-06-2007 10:17 PM

"No need to worry about front license plate in TX"..........
........as long as it is on the car!:D

Around here, if you get stopped, the first time, they make you put the plate on and appear at the court house to show you complied, and it goes on your record that you got a warning. The second time you get stopped, they know you have been warned once, so no mercy...
just write the big check for $200.:eek:

DesertLS6 04-07-2007 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0 (Post 1559708629)
"No need to worry about front license plate in TX"..........
........as long as it is on the car!:D

Around here, if you get stopped, the first time, they make you put the plate on and appear at the court house to show you complied, and it goes on your record that you got a warning. The second time you get stopped, they know you have been warned once, so no mercy...
just write the big check for $200.:eek:

The good thing about being in Arizona now is that my TX plates are still good for another year, I tore down the state inspection and registration stickers from the windshield, and don't use the front plate. None of the heat here care because most don't know TX laws ... or maybe I'm just lucky so far haha :nono:

Race Prepared 04-08-2007 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by ptindall (Post 1559696260)

Over the years and several Vettes later, have never been ticketed in Texas for no front plate. Even the DPS don't seem to care (last encounter was yesterday) if you have a front plate on your Vette. :D