CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Telescopic steering wheel won't move (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/1760609-telescopic-steering-wheel-wont-move.html)

USRobo 07-17-2007 07:49 PM

Telescopic steering wheel won't move

My telescopic steering wheel just stopped moving. It was working then when I got out of the car it did not move. Is there a fuse for this? If so where is it?

Is it possible something else could be wrong?

Thanks,

USRobo
:willy:

chevyvette1 07-17-2007 08:10 PM

here you go try this, mine stopped working once before and this took care of it, no problems since

Telescoping Steering Column Calibration

Telescoping Soft Stops

After replacement of the seat control module, it is necessary to program the telescoping soft stops. Each soft stop is a programmable end of travel that is set approximately 1.3 cm (0.5 inch) from the mechanical end of travel. The steering column has a soft stop set at each end of the telescoping in/out movement. The system uses soft stops to prevent wear on the system by ensuring that the steering column movement stops before it reaches its mechanical end of travel in any direction. The soft stops are initially programmed at the factory. The stop positions may be reprogrammed, which is necessary any time the seat control module is replaced, as described in the following procedure.

Telescoping Soft Stop Programming Procedure

1] Turn ignition to ON, leaving the engine off.

2] To set the telescoping in soft stop, press the telescoping COLUMN IN switch at least eight times or until the column moves.

3] Press the telescoping COLUMN IN switch and hold the switch until the column travels all the way in, and continue to hold the switch about a second after motion stops at the mechanical end of travel. The soft stop for the column in position is now set. The seat control module automatically goes back to the normal mode of operation.

4] Repeat steps 2 and 3, using the COLUMN OUT switch, to set the column out position soft stop

this is from Zilla

USRobo 07-17-2007 08:13 PM

Wow, learn something new every day. I will try this and let you know if works.

Thanks,

RedSoxFan 07-17-2007 08:31 PM

Bookmarked for future reference. :thumbs: Thanks chevyvette1 and Zilla. :cheers:

mcgilles 07-17-2007 08:31 PM

mine was completely inoperative when I got my car. after some time it started to work on its own but only when it felt like it. I was working on similar problems with my seat and I removed the power connectors from the driver's seat and cleaned and reconnected them with some dialectic grease. since then the wheel has worked flawlessly. looks like the power or control for the wheel goes through the SCM (which make sense, as it is also part of the memory system) and the weak contacts in the connector were responsible for the failure.

USRobo 07-17-2007 10:34 PM

That worked!

Thanks a million.

USRobo

Originally Posted by chevyvette1 (Post 1561117320)
here you go try this, mine stopped working once before and this took care of it, no problems since

Telescoping Soft Stops

After replacement of the seat control module, it is necessary to program the telescoping soft stops. Each soft stop is a programmable end of travel that is set approximately 1.3 cm (0.5 inch) from the mechanical end of travel. The steering column has a soft stop set at each end of the telescoping in/out movement. The system uses soft stops to prevent wear on the system by ensuring that the steering column movement stops before it reaches its mechanical end of travel in any direction. The soft stops are initially programmed at the factory. The stop positions may be reprogrammed, which is necessary any time the seat control module is replaced, as described in the following procedure.

2] To set the telescoping in soft stop, press the telescoping COLUMN IN switch at least eight times or until the column moves.

3] Press the telescoping COLUMN IN switch and hold the switch until the column travels all the way in, and continue to hold the switch about a second after motion stops at the mechanical end of travel. The soft stop for the column in position is now set. The seat control module automatically goes back to the normal mode of operation.

4] Repeat steps 2 and 3, using the COLUMN OUT switch, to set the column out position soft stop

this is from Zilla

metrocopper 03-05-2008 07:42 PM

My problem

I had read all the threads on the telescopic wheel problems, but mine didn't fit the symptoms. I could hear a clicking when the switch was pressed in or out. I tried the reset for the memory and no go. I even tried cleaning the contacts on the seat connector because someone said it is intergrated with the column telescopic memory. NaDa!!

Well I got adventurous and took down the panels under the steering column in my 2002 Black Coupe 6 spd. I found that there is a cable that looks like a speedometer cable about 18 inches long. It is connected to a motor mounted above the steering column base and snakes up to the gearing for the telescopic part of the wheel. My cable had twisted it self in two at the point it went into the gearing box just behind the wheel. Pressing the switch got the motor spinning but no movement at all. The clicking I was hearing was from the cable ends grinding against each other. I would have included some pictures of the damaged parts in case someone else has the same problem but I can't attach photos. I will be going off to the dealer in the morning to see if they have the cable in stock to restore my telescopic feature. :cheers:

I'm reluctantly doing so because at 6foot 2 inches I had no problem reaching the wheel. My girlfriend though has been relegated to her Infinify G35 because she can't get the wheel close enough for her to drive my Vette. :rofl:

ArmyVetteran 10-16-2009 03:51 PM

Telescoping Soft Stops

this is from Zilla

This worked like a champ! Thanks for the tip, I'd been trying to figure out what to do about this for months and the local shop won't even look at it for less than $150!

truax031502 03-20-2010 08:57 PM

On my 1999 C5 my Telescoping Steering Column stopped moving and now my driver seat won't go back. It will go foward but not back, now im stuck riding with my knees in my chest. This sucks and I need some advice on this. Thanks davidtruax9@charter.net

ALLEGRO 03-20-2010 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by ArmyVetteran (Post 1571842433)
This worked like a champ! Thanks for the tip, I'd been trying to figure out what to do about this for months and the local shop won't even look at it for less than $150!

Isn't this place the BEST ?? :cheers:

SteveDoten 03-21-2010 10:10 AM

Nice fix

for the knee in chest, often the control gets wet

nkolodij 08-15-2010 10:31 AM

Telescoping Soft Stops

this is from Zilla

Mine stopped working and this did the trick!

Thanks

OleBill 04-13-2012 02:51 PM

Worked for me too

Had driver's door window regulator replaced at the dealer. Column did some strange movements and then stopped. This answer just work to solve my problems. I have the set of factory manuals and still can't locate information about setting the soft stops. Where did this come from?

Kman1971 04-16-2012 10:51 PM

Telescoping Soft Stops

this is from Zilla

WOWWZEERSSSSSSSSSSSS

This site is the best. I just noticed tonight that my steering wheel was not moving in or out when starting the car to the set points. I remembered a post about this not long ago. Went through the procedure and had it fixed and working again in less than a minute. That could have been costly at a dealer....

THANKS AGAIN>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:cheers:

dakotahoss 04-27-2012 11:39 PM

My 2005 C6 Vette just had the same problem a day after we installed a supercharger. I was all set to take my Vette to the dealer and spend hundreds to get it working again. My son suggested I look for this same problem on the Corvette Forum and sure enough here is the answer! I did it and now the telescoping function works just like it did!

Thank you fellow Corvette owners, you are outstanding!!

Vetteman Jack 04-28-2012 12:14 AM

Old thread, but some good information. Thanks to all who posted up their story.

Mjeffers05 05-31-2012 12:36 AM

The wheel and driver side seat stopped working on my 2005 C6. I read in the forum about wires under the seat that possibly could be broken and causing the problem..sure enough it was two broken wires.Everything works perfect now.

klattu 08-03-2012 01:19 AM

Yes I'm new...rebuilding a water logged C5
Just where is the control for the telescoping ?

And I also agree on the vast amount of information here.
Doing lots of searches.

sbadd99 08-03-2012 04:00 AM

should be in the How To, DIY

VETJAZZ 08-24-2012 09:50 PM

Had this pop up today. A Google search brought up this threat and it worked like a charm. Thanks Chevyvette1!! :cheers: