CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Dryer sheets dont keep mice away.... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/1906171-dryer-sheets-dont-keep-mice-away.html)

20vette0107fatboy 01-06-2008 03:58 PM

Dryer sheets dont keep mice away....

I have almost a whole box of dryer sheets all over the motor and underneath the car.I set a mouse trap right on a sheet under the motor of the car.Wouldent you know it,i caught a mousey.The little bas___ walked right on the dryer sheet to get to the cheese.What a dumb mouse.You know what happened next,DEAD MOUSE.What do i try next.Does moth balls work.

hotwheels57 01-06-2008 04:08 PM

A cat? I keep mine four feet in the air on my lift.:thumbs:

Johnny Hardcore 01-06-2008 04:35 PM

Dryer sheets? Are you serious? Unless the mouse is a house wife, you will have to do better than that. Moth balls do work, but a Cat in the garage would put an end to your questioning.

A 4 foot lift isnt going to do the trick either. If a mouse wants in, and your car is on a lift, don't think the mouse will be discouraged. Mice have survived millions of years of evolution, 4 feet won't stop a determined mouse, not on a bad day.

Get a cat or set some traps. My brothers C5 just fell victim to a nesting little F'r set up shop under his battery, ate his wires, cost him a few hundo.

hotwheels57 01-06-2008 04:41 PM

...hmmmm...over 10 years with cars kept on lifts and plenty of mice running around...never found one in any of my cars yet.
Maybe northern AZ doesn't have those "millions of years of evolution" mice as NJ does! Maybe you were thinking of cockroaches. :lol:

BowTieRocket 01-06-2008 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by hotwheels57 (Post 1563497585)
...hmmmm...over 10 years with cars kept on lifts and plenty of mice running around...never found one in any of my cars yet.
Maybe northern AZ doesn't have those million years of evolution mice as NJ does! Maybe you were thinking of cockroaches. :lol:

Don't know, but NorCal orchard rats seem to be able to get anywhere in the garage they want. The've even pushed steel wool out of the vent pipes on the front of the Spanish style garage.

Cats sleep on the cars - the ones with covers are alright unless kitty is too lazy to jump down for his midnight pee, but the others get claw scratches from when the furballs jump up to sleep on that nice warm hood. And have you ever seen what happens to Fluff when he snuggles up against the radiator, inside the shroud, on a sixties muscle car? Takes some time to clean up, I gawrohntee (as Justin Wilson used to say).

I dump about a pound of "Just One Bite" peanut butter - er - rat killer around the garage about once a month. It smells bad in there when one of the little jerks dies behind a cabinet or inside a wall, but I can stand it. The green "Tin Cat" rat killer works pretty well, too, but Just One Bite is the best I've found. Have to get it at a feed store - Blue Big Box and Orange Big Box don't seem to carry it.

Probably the best solution would be to move out of the orchard. The nuts left over from harvest draw the little buggers, and they pack them into my garage, under the house, the area under the hood of the tractor, anywhere they want to nest. Mice are a problem, but rats really bite...:rolleyes:

AU N EGL 01-06-2008 04:50 PM

moth balls.

vettenuts 01-06-2008 05:51 PM

Nope, they dont' work. I know someone who used them and they made fine packing in the nest they built under the fuel rail cover :ack:

neokorros 01-06-2008 06:01 PM

the sticky paper works great. u put some peanut butter in the middle of the paper and then they get one foot on that paper and they cant get off.

FRED HAMBLE 01-06-2008 06:22 PM

Try "MOUSE MAGIC" It does not kill them but the smell which doesn't bother humans keeps the away. I threw a few in my shed and no more mice.. you can get it on line as well as any garden center.

FRED:cheers: :flag:

2079 01-06-2008 06:28 PM

Poison pellets in pop cans, lay them inside and outside your garage, mouse will reteive the pellets and store them in there nests to eat later. Refill your pop cans every 3 days whit just a few dozen pellets, and with pop cans your pets or any other animals will be safe of the poison ,since the hole is small they cant get in, also place them along the walls and behind or under something again to protect your pets. This should eliminate or cotrol them. :thumbs:

Chevy Guy 01-06-2008 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny Hardcore (Post 1563497518)
Dryer sheets? Are you serious? Unless the mouse is a house wife, you will have to do better than that.

:rofl:

Thats for sure!!

Nothing will keep a determined mouse away from your car. Only thing you can do is set traps, have some well placed poison around, and tighten up your garage as far as gaps under the doors and such.

wolfman04 01-06-2008 08:16 PM

Drive the car then you won't have a problem.:cheers:

C5Pat 01-06-2008 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by wolfman04 (Post 1563500713)

Hard to do when theres 4' of snow on the ground!!!!!!!

BowTieRocket 01-06-2008 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by wolfman04 (Post 1563500713)

Oh, you still have problems. A local farmer had chunks of the sound deadening and electrical eaten in a practically new diesel pickup, just overnight in his carport. Turns out they're using some plant-based backing (the black stuff over the batting) for the sound deadener. Driving it makes it take them longer, but I think it was 2-3 months before the pickup had to go in for some repairs. Dairyman - the carport was too close to the grain hopper, and it just drew the little jerks right in. :smash: :smash: :smash:

JCSZ51 01-06-2008 10:43 PM

I stored one of my cars for over a year in the midwest while I was overseas, and mothballs worked great. I took the mothballs and put them on paper plates throught the car (inside, under, engine bay, anywhere flat). Used steel wool in the exaust and she was exactly as I left it when I came back. I'm sure there were mice around because there was a hay barn next to the garage.

It did take a few months for the mothball smell to get out of the car :ack:

dieseldave56 01-07-2008 03:16 AM

Decon ...................

I have used Decon ( green pellets) under the hood and on top of the tires. Leave the hood open slightly to allow light in (they don't like light). I have done this for my motorcoach and my Vettes stored here in Oregon during the winter. Though , I never seen a mouse or evidence of a mouse in three years I still leave out the Decon as an old habit.
The Bounce sheets don't work , but don't they leave a nice fresh smell next to the mouse droppings?

LRD VDR 01-07-2008 08:43 AM

Man, you're gonna laugh at me but I saw my ex-girlfriend's father use Lysol floor cleaner in a spray bottle around the corner of the his shop and has not had any problems since.:ack:

Shahram

c5chines 01-07-2008 08:52 AM

I use D con AND dryer sheets.The little corpses are so fluffy!

kg54trains 01-07-2008 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by C5Pat (Post 1563501984)
Hard to do when theres 4' of snow on the ground!!!!!!!

Just start the engine and idle to hot this will keep any unwanted friends from looking for a new home. I replaced my wiper motor to discover the mice had a nest by the wiper motor and almost destroyed the wire harness to the wiper motor.

sxeC7 01-07-2008 10:49 AM

I had a problem with squirrels getting under the hood of my truck on the warm engine to eat their acorns and my wiring. :smash:

Mothballs in a plastic box with .5" vent holes drilled stopped thm.