CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Dead Battery Can't open hood to jump start (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2069637-dead-battery-cant-open-hood-to-jump-start.html)

smoothieusa 07-03-2008 10:05 PM

Dead Battery Can't open hood to jump start

Hi, need your help. My 2006 C6 convertible is stuck in the garage with a dead battery after car sat without running for just 2 weeks. Same thing happened last December except then there was just enough juice to open the car door. Anyway, there is now zero battery power so cannot open the door using the door handle or the key fob. The key fob will not open trunk to manually release driver door to then access the car interior to pop the hood release and put on the battery charger. I cannot see a key opening or trunk lock anywhere near the trunk to try the glove box / console key.

Chev road side assistance said they recommend they not send a lock smith to open door as it could damage the 2006 vette since the locks are automatic.

Without damaging the car, how can I open the door with no electrical power? Or, pop the hood to attach battery charger cables.

Thanks. :willy:

C6HOKIE 07-03-2008 10:11 PM

Above the rear license plate is a keyhole to use the key to open trunk.

overrev64 07-03-2008 10:12 PM

The key opening is above the license plate next to the button that opens the trunk.
If you still can't get in, you can try to jack the car and put the charger directly on the starter terminal.

SunsetOrangeCreations 07-03-2008 10:12 PM

Look above the rear license plate. There is a keyhole there that opens the trunk. Then use the manual release cable that is in the driver side rear trunk area to open the driver door. Then you can open the hood.

:cheers: Ben

Another Don 07-03-2008 10:16 PM

The key cylinder that you're looking for is above the rear license plate between the lights. It's near that rear trunk release button that won't work because the battrey's dead. You'll have to get down and look up to see it. The key should turn this lock that will open your trunk and inside the trunk on the left is the cable pull to manually open the driver's door.

Sounds like it's time for a new battery for you.

:cheers:

savewave 07-03-2008 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by SunsetOrangeCreations (Post 1566167083)
Look above the rear license plate. There is a keyhole there that opens the trunk. Then use the manual release cable that is in the driver side rear trunk area to open the driver door. Then you can open the hood.

:cheers: Ben

That's the ticket. :yesnod:

smoothieusa 07-03-2008 10:26 PM

Houston, we have power! Thanks everyone, you are good. The keyhole was at first almost invisible because the silver was gunked up with road crud but your comments kept me looking. Thanks again and have a great weekend!!

Is a dead / low battery typical after just two weeks of car not running? Sure would hate to arrive at airport after 3 week trip to find Corvette won't start. :cheers:

patton 07-03-2008 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by smoothieusa (Post 1566167260)
Houston, we have power! Thanks everyone, you are good. The keyhole was at first almost invisible because the silver was gunked up with road crud but your comments kept me looking. Thanks again and have a great weekend!!

Is a dead / low battery typical after just two weeks of car not running? Sure would hate to arrive at airport after 3 week trip to find Corvette won't start. :cheers:

when you are on the plane bring the owners manual [for the car] and READ

*FAÇADE* 07-03-2008 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by smoothieusa (Post 1566166996)
Hi, need your help. My 2006 C6 convertible is stuck in the garage with a dead battery after car sat without running for just 2 weeks. Same thing happened last December except then there was just enough juice to open the car door. Anyway, there is now zero battery power so cannot open the door using the door handle or the key fob. The key fob will not open trunk to manually release driver door to then access the car interior to pop the hood release and put on the battery charger. I cannot see a key opening or trunk lock anywhere near the trunk to try the glove box / console key.

Chev road side assistance said they recommend they not send a lock smith to open door as it could damage the 2006 vette since the locks are automatic.

Without damaging the car, how can I open the door with no electrical power? Or, pop the hood to attach battery charger cables.

Thanks. :willy:

- If you have the key available, you can use it to open the trunk:

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...blot/Trunk.gif

- Once you open the trunk, you can pull the door release handle located on the left side of the trunk:

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...oorRelease.gif

- Finally, after you open the door, you can pull the hood release and charge your battery.

:thumbs:

danl72 07-03-2008 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by C6HOKIE (Post 1566167078)
Above the rear license plate is a keyhole to use the key to open trunk.

:iagree:

ben dover 07-03-2008 11:22 PM

There have been some complaints about a two week or three week dead battery, but mine had to sit for six weeks once and I had no problem.

C6NRED 07-03-2008 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by superalpha (Post 1566167553)
oh, there is a PDF of the manuals online somewhere....

Gene Culley has all of the years listed on his web site for download....

Deep Silver C6 Z51 07-03-2008 11:59 PM

Had the same thing happen to my '05 once during the winter non-driving season.

If you're like me, the owner's manual was locked in the car....a little hard to refer to when the battery's dead!!!

Don't sweat it.

Usually there are a lot of friendly, helpful people on this forum that are glad to offer up a solution. :thumbs:

cclive 07-04-2008 12:31 AM

Lots of people don't know everything about everything.....we're happy to help people here....lighten up and enjoy life:D

LMB 4 ME 07-04-2008 12:36 AM

Another happy customer :thumbs:

slvr 07 07-04-2008 09:34 AM

:lurk:

It'sHerVette! 07-04-2008 10:23 AM

Buy a Priority Start.

After you open the door with the remote cable, just press in the cigarette lighter and start the car! Works well with our '05 which still gets DBS even after all the reflashes and new batteries.

StanNH 07-04-2008 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by ben dover (Post 1566167869)
There have been some complaints about a two week or three week dead battery, but mine had to sit for six weeks once and I had no problem.

Now that you've said that, you know what's going to happen. :nono:

dsdrury 07-04-2008 10:32 AM

I just returned from a 23 day vacation to Florida and my 08 VY Coupe started right up! Donn in Colorado

StanNH 07-04-2008 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by dsdrury (Post 1566171190)
I just returned from a 23 day vacation to Florida and my 08 VY Coupe started right up! Donn in Colorado

Please refer to my previous post. :lol: