CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   How to fix the BOSE CD player? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/209288-how-to-fix-the-bose-cd-player.html)

BrightAquaLT1 12-30-2001 02:17 PM

How to fix the BOSE CD player?

I guess it´s a well known problem: The factory Bose CD players start making problems after 2 or 3 years: First they kind of hesitate to accept CDs at cold weather, then they do it at all kind of weather, then even when the CD is drawn into the slot it will not be played.

I guess it must be a belt drive or something like that. When it gets humid it starts to slip after a while, then it probably gets more and more worn out and slippery, and finally it wont drive the moving parts ny longer.

I guess it must be an item worth only a few cent, but how to access it?

Does anybody know about a simple fix? Are kits available? It must be a quite common problem!

Corvette ED 12-30-2001 02:37 PM

Re: How to fix the BOSE CD player? (BrightAquaLT1)

Well it may just be a 10 cent part, however GM will not sell the parts to repair the CD players to anyone other than a GM authorized repair dealer. This sucks because most places charge at least $200.00 to repair the unit regardless how cheap the parts are. :mad :mad :mad :mad

Jason 12-30-2001 02:46 PM

I've concluded the simplest fix for mine would be a .45 round. :mad :rolleyes:

Radio Joe 12-30-2001 06:43 PM

Re: How to fix the BOSE CD player? (Corvette ED)

Well it may just be a 10 cent part, however GM will not sell the parts to repair the CD players to anyone other than a GM authorized repair dealer. This sucks because most places charge at least $200.00 to repair the unit regardless how cheap the parts are. :mad :mad :mad :mad
That has only been in the last 6 years or so. Before that you could get all the parts you wanted.. Now we are at their mercy :mad :mad :mad

The Example 12-31-2001 05:13 PM

Smush it up good! My 1987 has a blown amp; you have to turn the volume knob almost all the way up to hear anything, and it has a lot of interference and scratching at low volume. My 1991 with Bose Gold would not read burned CDs, and occasionally it would stop working altogether! The LED backlight was also burnt out. When it worked it wasn't bad as far as stock systems went.

My new car has all the bose crap ripped out and replaced with a Sony head unit (which I will probably replace), 2 Alpine amps and 2 10 inch Rockford Fosgate Subwoofers. Replacing the system entirely is the best way to go.

Good luck!

dmalhi1 12-31-2001 09:40 PM

:lol:

heres the fix...... "pick it up and throw it as far as you can and don't even look at where it dropped" ........ :D

[Modified by dmalhi1, 5:40 PM 12/31/2001]

VetteWave 01-01-2002 10:14 PM

I sent mine to United Radio and they charged me $185 to fix the CD Player, put in a new cassette band, a new cassette door, and replaced the lights. I also replaced all the amps with 100's in the back and 75's in the front. It sounds pretty good. I don't need audio perfection! ;-)

Yankee Papa 01-01-2002 11:24 PM

Re: How to fix the BOSE CD player? (1990corvette)

My Bose CD has started to give me trouble too. How bad is it to remove the unit? Any helpful suggestions for removing it?
Thanks, Yankee Papa

VetteWave 01-02-2002 08:09 AM

Re: How to fix the BOSE CD player? (Yankee Papa)

It's not too hard to remove the unit. The hardest part is getting the snap ring off the auto shift knob!

Alchemist 01-02-2002 09:59 AM

I had my CD player fixed/replaced by Dixie Electronics (Charlotte, NC) a few years ago for $115. (I removed/installed the unit myself). For an extra $15 they replaced the belt in the cassette player and aligned the playback head. I know it's a Blowse unit...but it was a HELLuva lot cheaper than replacing the whole head unit, an' i GOTTA have my TUNES!!! https://www.corvetteforum.net/c4/alchemist/thumb.gif

MardiGrasMan 01-02-2002 10:23 AM

This is my second Vette with the Bose trash. I wouldn't dream of fixing junk. When I can see my way clear I plan to replace it completely. For now I just have radio. :mad Where are all the designers and engineers when you need them. Certainly they must know of this problem. My CD player accepts the CD, doesn't play it then gives it back a couple of days later when it feels like it. :rolleyes:

phrogs 01-02-2002 10:35 AM

Re: How to fix the BOSE CD player? (1990corvette)

It's not too hard to remove the unit. The hardest part is getting the snap ring off the auto shift knob!
Just turn the key on and pull the shifter all the way back out of the way...lot lss work involved doing it that way..

35th 01-02-2002 01:46 PM

Re: How to fix the BOSE CD player? (phrogs)

That’s easy. Replace it with a better after market system. :smash:

red-y 01-02-2002 09:35 PM

Just install a Kenwood - :smash:

CORVETTEV8 07-31-2014 06:11 AM

Fix bose cd player

6 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BrightAquaLT1 (Post 1855845)
I guess it´s a well known problem: The factory Bose CD players start making problems after 2 or 3 years: First they kind of hesitate to accept CDs at cold weather, then they do it at all kind of weather, then even when the CD is drawn into the slot it will not be played.

I guess it must be a belt drive or something like that. When it gets humid it starts to slip after a while, then it probably gets more and more worn out and slippery, and finally it wont drive the moving parts ny longer.

I guess it must be an item worth only a few cent, but how to access it?

Does anybody know about a simple fix? Are kits available? It must be a quite common problem!

This post is very old but as many guys have same problems I decided to post a solution. Kits are available - In fact you have to change the laser lens pickup. Disassemble the CD unit to check before ordering parts.

For my BOSE 1993-1996 The parts needed are sold below at a reasonable price of $38. Reference PANASONIC YESFD13002/e13002/13002 tęte laser.

http://fr.aliexpress.com/wholesale?S...D13002&catId=0

Consider 2h to replace the laser pickup. Here under some photos. Small screwdrivers required. Don't forget to remove the antistatic solder.

murraybob 07-31-2014 08:57 AM

I "repaired" mine by replacing the head unit with an aftermarket Alpine. Now the CD player works just fine.

:D

BTW my car is a a Bright Aqua LT1.

stingray71 07-31-2014 10:03 AM

Thanks for the information about fixing the CD.
It appears that the provided link may not be working correctly.

miatcc 09-01-2014 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by CORVETTEV8 (Post 1587484704)
This post is very old but as many guys have same problems I decided to post a solution. Kits are available - In fact you have to change the laser lens pickup. Disassemble the CD unit to check before ordering parts.

For my BOSE 1993-1996 The parts needed are sold below at a reasonable price of $38. Reference PANASONIC YESFD13002/e13002/13002 tęte laser.

http://fr.aliexpress.com/wholesale?S...D13002&catId=0

Consider 2h to replace the laser pickup. Here under some photos. Small screwdrivers required. Don't forget to remove the antistatic solder.

Hi would you happen to know the part number for a 91?
I ordered it and the ribbon connections are different sizes.
thanks
Lou

juni78 12-29-2019 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by miatcc (Post 1587729483)
Hi would you happen to know the part number for a 91?
I ordered it and the ribbon connections are different sizes.
thanks
Lou

Hi. Have you found the part number for a 1991 radio?

FresnoVette 12-29-2019 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by juni78 (Post 1600716257)
Hi. Have you found the part number for a 1991 radio?

Well it has been almost 6 years........ Maybe find a bose radio repair shop on the web.

:cheers: