CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   innertubes in drag radials (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2108714-innertubes-in-drag-radials.html)

GREG O. 08-17-2008 08:25 PM

innertubes in drag radials

:willy: I have 295-35-18 BFG drag radials. there is a hole in one. other than a good inner patch job, can u buy innertubes for these low profile tires? Hate to just throw them away since i have 60%tread left:eek:

waupachino 08-18-2008 03:49 PM

Patch or Plug the tire. I do not believe Radials are supposed to run with a inner tube. I am sure if you had to go this route you could, but be sure to then add the screws in the rims to ensure the tire doesn't spin on the rim if the car hooks up. If it does spin on the rim and your running tubes, you are going to pop the tube.

zo6lou 08-19-2008 10:46 AM

no inner tubes in racing tires, especially at lower pressures, they will rub and chafe inside the tire and rub thru and blow, no one i know uses tubes in any kind of race tires, ALMS, Trans Am series, Nascar, etc

10U 99 08-19-2008 10:58 AM

there are radial tubes but for that size I don't know. there are devices to repair punctures that both patch and plug at the same time.

GREG O. 08-19-2008 05:23 PM

I know in the old days everyone had tubes with the bias ply tires with screws in the rim. don't see why the same can't be done with a radial. the bfg now has a plug in it but he!l i used to rip them out of my street tires with no burnouts. this plug is right in the middle where there is no tread. Just don't think it's gonna hold doing a linelock burnout???

Jacks02 08-20-2008 12:10 AM

For what it's worth, I ordered some racing inner tubes from Discount Tire for my sports racer. It adds a small amount of rotating mass, but I used them in radial racing rain tires, so that was no problem. The tubes were special order, and rather expensive, but they worked fine.

GREG O. 08-20-2008 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jacks02 (Post 1566781414)
For what it's worth, I ordered some racing inner tubes from Discount Tire for my sports racer. It adds a small amount of rotating mass, but I used them in radial racing rain tires, so that was no problem. The tubes were special order, and rather expensive, but they worked fine.

ROGER! on the discount tire!! thanks

vsocks1 08-20-2008 07:22 AM

I would probably just buy a new tire. I tend to not want to worry about things! :cheers:

blackvette86 09-26-2020 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by waupachino (Post 1566766779)
patch or plug the tire. I do not believe radials are supposed to run with a inner tube. I am sure if you had to go this route you could, but be sure to then add the screws in the rims to ensure the tire doesn't spin on the rim if the car hooks up. If it does spin on the rim and your running tubes, you are going to pop the tube.

yes "radial tubes"

Mr. Black 09-26-2020 09:58 PM

This might be a new record.

road pilot 09-27-2020 04:26 PM

If I had a question about tires I would go down to the tire shop..
They could fix your tire or if unrepairable sell you a tire.
Simple.
Good luck