CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Correct anti-freeze for aluminum radiator? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2113163-correct-anti-freeze-for-aluminum-radiator.html)

lib 08-23-2008 01:59 AM

Correct anti-freeze for aluminum radiator?

I just installed a new DeWitt's restro in my 63.Looks and fit great. Tom's literature says "Distilled water and premium antifreeze must be used with all aluminum radiators!" I am planning on replacing A/Frz with Peak brand All Weather (Green in color) that is labeled for use with Aluminum and other metals. Does that equate to correct, premium antifreeze? I will fill and test in morning, so chime in when you can. Thanx- lib

Dave Tracy 08-23-2008 02:10 AM

That is what I use.

Hitch 08-23-2008 07:48 AM

Use the Zerex Z05 is the recommended antifreeze for your new aluminum radiator. :thumbs: Dave

Black_Magic 08-23-2008 08:43 AM

:iagree:

That's what I use :)

http://www.stl-vettes.com/65vette/co...antifreeze.jpg

Donald #31176 08-23-2008 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by youwish2bme (Post 1566819464)
Use the Zerex Z05 is the recommended antifreeze for your new aluminum radiator. :thumbs: Dave

:iagree:
Zerex G-05 is a HOAT formulation (hybrid organic acid tech.)that will not precipitate silicates into the cooling system that eventually will clog the radiator passages.

Powershift 08-23-2008 10:05 AM

Also recommend Zerex G-05 (along with distilled water). Will protect your new aluminum radiator and won't dissolve the lead solder in your heater core. :thumbs:

Just be sure that you flush out and drain the old antifreeze from your engine block before using.

Larry

lib 08-23-2008 02:12 PM

I'm a bit puzzled. After reading DeWitt's warranty It stated " DRI radiators require a correct proportion of quality coolant which contains ALUMINUM CORROSION INHIBITORS in the formula and distilled water". The Peak brand and the Zerex both list CORROSION INHIBITORS on their contents. I had 45 yrs. of service out of my original (no leaks, clogs, etc.) using whatever green A/F was available mixed with tap water. Is this new radiator more fragile?

Powershift 08-23-2008 08:13 PM

The DeWitt aluminum radiator is probably better constructed than the GM Harrison original unit.

A large number of us on this forum recommended the Zerex G-05 antifreeze because we feel that it is the best that is out there for our older cars. The Peak (green) antifreeze should also work as well.

I think that Tom DeWitt even recommended the Zerex G-05 in a similar post about six months ago. It should be in the archives, assuming they still work.

The main point is use a good quality IAT (green) or HOAT (yellow) antifreeze with distilled water. It's your choice. Just don't use DEX-COOL. There have been too many issues with DEX-COOL in the older cars.

Larry

magicv8 08-23-2008 08:31 PM

The other problem that you avoid by using z05 is damage to the heater core.

1snake 08-23-2008 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by magicv8 (Post 1566825367)
The other problem that you avoid by using z05 is damage to the heater core.

G-05 NOT z05. Zerex doesn't make a product with that number. That's what I use in everything. Corvette (with a DeWitts rad.) and my Cobra.

Jim

Hitch 08-23-2008 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by 1snake (Post 1566825899)
G-05 NOT z05. Zerex doesn't make a product with that number. That's what I use in everything. Corvette (with a DeWitts rad.) and my Cobra.

Jim

I hit the wrong key this morning I meant G05...:thumbs::cheers: But I think my message was received...:thumbs:

lib 08-23-2008 10:25 PM

Recv'd message from Tom DeWitt regarding Peak (green) A/F; "That coolant will be fine, I'm just recommending the G05 to new customers but the key is the distilled water". Thanx to all for the education on G05. Perhaps, the next time I empty out my system I will try it out- lib

Silverblue64 08-24-2008 11:02 AM

Any problems with using the Prestone green that comes premixed already at a 50/50?

Powershift 08-24-2008 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Silverblue64 (Post 1566829746)
Any problems with using the Prestone green that comes premixed already at a 50/50?

I don't think that Prestone makes a green (IAT) anti-freeze anymore. They market a DEX-COOL compatible red/orange antifreeze (OAT), and a yellow (HOAT) antifreeze. HOAT stands for Hybrid Organic Acid Technology, and is a mix of organic and inorganic corrosion inhibitors. It should be similar to Zerex G-05. However, Prestone and Zerex use different corrosion inhibitors.

Any plastic jugs of green Prestone that you find would be very old, and I would not recommend using. If you want green, use PEAK or regular Zerex.

Larry

stall 08-24-2008 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Silverblue64 (Post 1566829746)

I've used the Prestone 50/50 mix and note that the container legend says " Protects aluminum radiators" , "Only DeMineralized water used"

I think it's OK given that but i do wish the Dewitts owner directions were more detailed rather than a generic "use quality anti-freeze & distilled water."

With oils there is a standard ( CF-1 say) there must be something better than a "use good stuff" recommendation.

Just my thoughts

Silverblue64 08-24-2008 09:00 PM

I went out to the shop and took a close look at the Prestone jug.
It is the Extended Life 50/50 coolant that says do not add water but it also says that it is compatible with all anti-freeze coolants and can be used with aluminum components.
Yeah, I'm wondering about that part about being compatible with all types of coolant also:toetap:
I just make sure it doesn't say Dexcool on the jug!

I keep two types of coolant around: Prestone green (like above) for the older vehicles and Dexcool for the newer cars.
I might have to give the Zerex G-O5 a try.