CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   LS-1 double overhead cam engine? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/2159733-ls-1-double-overhead-cam-engine.html)

claysmoker 10-16-2008 03:30 PM

LS-1 double overhead cam engine?

Supposedly these were made for some kind of one-off racing class in a Cobra body, and supposedly GM built them.

I have a chance to buy one cheap, and I need whatever info I can find.

Thanks, Dave

lucky131969 10-16-2008 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by claysmoker (Post 1567492865)
Supposedly these were made for some kind of one-off racing class in a Cobra body, and supposedly GM built them.

I have a chance to buy one cheap, and I need whatever info I can find.

Thanks, Dave

Wow, I've never heard of that. You sure it's not an LT5? In any case, it would be a bastard engine setup.

Shore 10-16-2008 04:51 PM

LT5 is the DOHC engine I know of.I couldn't imagine going from an internal cam to overhead on a LSX block.

byte_me 10-16-2008 05:48 PM

Interesting...I too have never heard of this and I have read a lot about the design of the LS1...:eek:

I read in an LS1 performance book that durning initial testing of the LS1 engine, the engineers put an LS1 and an LT5 (boat motor - 32 valve ZR1 engine) in two test mules and allowed for a field test- although the LT5 @ 405HP showed an increase in power (duh) it was not immediate as was the LS1, meaning the the LS1 made its power lower in the RPM range and gave the engineers a kick in the pants they really enjoyed. Just about all of them preferred the LS1 car despite them not being allowed to look under the hood or knowing what was installed...

Now to my point...

it was after this test that confirmed the direction the LS1 engineers to keep a cam in design regardless of the (then thought) out of cam block design many sports car manufacturers touted as being the best of the best.

I guess to continue to prove this point, they shortly introduced the 405HP LS6 engine and the King of the Hill was no more on its own.

I would guess you have found an LT5 engine...:thumbs:

blue63cpe 10-16-2008 06:58 PM

Perhaps its a northstar, i've read that the ls1 design came from it.

ArKay99 10-16-2008 08:06 PM

2 things to consider.
1: Do you have pictures?
2: Be careful.

If there was a small run of an LS1 of this type I would think if it still ran it would be a: a museum piece, or b: very expensive.

runamuk 10-17-2008 01:14 AM

If there was a DOHC engine built GM wouldn't call it an LS-1 since that title was given to another motor. :cheers:

BLOWNBLUEZ06 10-17-2008 09:25 AM

regardless, I wouldn't touch it. Next thing you know, you'll be wanting to upgrade parts with nowhere to go. Or you'll have technical questions with no one to ask. You'll go to the local parts store for some simple every day item and they'll look at you like you have 3 eyeballs.

black98c5 10-17-2008 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06 (Post 1567501515)
regardless, I wouldn't touch it. Next thing you know, you'll be wanting to upgrade parts with nowhere to go. Or you'll have technical questions with no one to ask. You'll go to the local parts store for some simple every day item and they'll look at you like you have 3 eyeballs.

:iagree: I would pass on it.

jovette 10-18-2008 10:26 AM

I have an extreemly rare LS1 triple overhead cam experimental engine I'd let go, if the price was right!:D