CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Key Fob Battery Replacement (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2174166-key-fob-battery-replacement.html)

Wahoowa 11-03-2008 11:56 AM

Key Fob Battery Replacement

Curious for C6 owners if anyone has had to replace the battery in their key fob? How long did the original battery last? I have an 05, and it seems like the range is getting weaker and weaker leading me to be concerned that the battery is going to crap out on me sometime soon. Would rather not be stuck somewhere with a dead fob.

Next question is starting the car in the event that the key fob goes dead. I know you use the key by the rear license plate and then pull the door release, but anyone have an idea if you can start the car with a dead fob?

s ladd 11-03-2008 12:00 PM

I do not think you will be able to start the car with a dead key FOB. That would defeat the security purpose behind the FOB.

shortski 11-03-2008 12:02 PM

Put the forb in the slot in the glove compartment, even with a dead battery it will work.

From OM:

NO FOBS DETECTED when you try to start the vehicle. If
this happens, place the transmitter in the glove box
transmitter pocket with the buttons facing towards the
passenger’s side. Then, with the vehicle in PARK (P) for
an automatic transmission press the break pedal and the
START button, or if your vehicle has a manual
transmission, press the clutch and the START button.
Although this will start the vehicle, it is recommended that
you replace the transmitter battery as soon as possible.
The DIC may display FOB BATTERY LOW.

Dave S 11-03-2008 12:05 PM

Once you get into the passenger compartment, insert the fob in the slot you'll find in the glove box. That will allow the ECM to recognize the fob & the engine will start.

Wahoowa 11-03-2008 12:13 PM

Very helpful, thanks all

Shortimer 11-03-2008 12:16 PM

Battery should be good for several years and it can be replaced. The owner's manual explains it. As explained above, the car can be started with a dead battery in the FOB. :cheers::cheers:

Vette_DD 11-03-2008 01:03 PM

We were told in another thread by someone who should know, that the dead fob that you put in the slot in the glovebox must have the battery in it, even if the battery is dead. Something about needing a complete circuit.

GM says the typical life of a fob battery is about 3 years. 2005 owner's manual, page 2-9.

Battery Replacement
Under normal use, the battery in your keyless access
transmitter should last about three years.
You can tell the battery is weak if the transmitter will not
work at the normal range in any location. If you have
to get close to your vehicle before the transmitter works,
it is probably time to change the battery.

Wahoowa 11-03-2008 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by JimTN (Post 1567711228)
We were told in another thread by someone who should know, that the dead fob that you put in the slot in the glovebox must have the battery in it, even if the battery is dead. Something about needing a complete circuit.

GM says the typical life of a fob battery is about 3 years. 2005 owner's manual, page 2-9.

Yeah, sounds like it is time for me to replace the batteries. Thanks for the info

cclive 11-03-2008 01:19 PM

Just for fun, I did try putting a fob in the glovebox slot that had NO battery in it...and it did start the car...but I wouldn't depend on that, as there are others here who did not have it work for them. If the fob has a battery in it, and even if it is dead, the car should start.:thumbs:

Use a nickel to pry open the fob, it is the perfect thickness. CR-2032 lithium battery available anywhere, even the supermarket.

Vette_DD 11-03-2008 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by cclive (Post 1567711446)
CR-2032 lithium battery available anywhere, even the supermarket.

I bought a spare at Wally World.

CQRT 11-03-2008 02:27 PM

Walgreens - -2 for about $5 . . .I usually replace the batteries in any of the fobs every 2 years - - it's cheap insurance !

Hemlock 11-03-2008 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by CQRT (Post 1567712265)
Walgreens - -2 for about $5 . . .I usually repalce the batteries in any of the fobs every 2 years - - it's cheap insurance !

I hate it when people are smarter than me (I hate a lot of people). Great idea! I am going to buy two extra this afternoon. As you say, "it's cheap insurance." :)

Wahoowa 11-03-2008 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Hemlock (Post 1567712720)
I hate it when people are smarter than me (I hate a lot of people). Great idea! I am going to buy two extra this afternoon. As you say, "it's cheap insurance." :)

Agree that it is a good idea. I used to keep a couple extra AAA batteries in my glove box of my old Tahoe just in case the Viper Alarm remote ran out. Think I may get an extra slim battery for the Vette. That being said, I sure wish the key was designed more like my girlfriend's Infiniti smart key. There is a spot in the dash to insert hers and charge it when it gets low. The physical key is built in to the fob and slides out should you lose all power.

Max EPR 11-04-2008 12:31 AM

Fob?

cclive 11-04-2008 12:52 AM

Fob.:iagree:

Vette_DD 11-04-2008 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Max EPR (Post 1567720048)
Fob?

fob1 (fob), n.
1. a small pocket just below the waistline in trousers for a watch, keys, change, etc. Cf. watch pocket.
2. a short chain or ribbon, usually with a medallion or similar ornament, attached to a watch and worn hanging from a pocket.
3. the medallion or ornament itself.

cclive 11-04-2008 12:58 AM

:rofl:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3050/...3b1096345d.jpg

jasetheartist 07-25-2009 03:15 PM

Lifesaver!

Just for fun, I did try putting a fob in the glovebox slot that had NO battery in it...and it did start the car...but I wouldn't depend on that, as there are others here who did not have it work for them. If the fob has a battery in it, and even if it is dead, the car should start.:thumbs:

Use a nickel to pry open the fob, it is the perfect thickness. CR-2032 lithium battery available anywhere, even the supermarket.

:DI really appreciate this info! Lifesaver!!!!!!! THANKS!:thumbs:

jasetheartist 07-25-2009 03:16 PM

Lol!

Originally Posted by cclive (Post 1567720163)

R u bragging now???? LOL! :cheers:

BornSUPERCHARGED 12-01-2009 03:12 PM

I just replaced the battery in my fob for my 07, I think it was about to die because i would have to put it in the glove box for it to work sometimes. Now it starts up with no problem.

:cheers: