CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Strange clicking/ dead battery (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2219747-strange-clicking-dead-battery.html)

ELECTRONC5 01-05-2009 10:43 AM

Strange clicking/ dead battery

Yesterday I went out in the garage for some 'Vette' therapy..( dressing the leather seats). After I opened the doors, I noticed an odd 'clicking/buzzing' noise coming from the battery/computer area. Thinking it might be the battery, I tried to start the car and sure enough, it was dying and the car would not start. I did jump-start it using my other car and it's not had a problem since. The battery is a Die-Hard only 2yrs. old. I think an alternator only replaces the juice that's already present so I probably need a new battery. I've read good reviews on the Duralast. Do you think I did any damage by jumping it? Did I damage my custom tune? Thanks so much for your input.

poolboy 01-05-2009 10:47 AM

How long had it been sitting? The C5s are known to draw more power when shut off then other cars do. If your battery recharges then it is obviously still good. Don't worry about those noises you heard while the battery was drained - there are some relays that will 'chatter' as the battery drains towards zero. Get a battery tender to keep that battery charged during longer periods of no use.

Vetteman Jack 01-05-2009 10:58 AM

:iagree: If you haven't started it for several weeks, it could just have drained down enough to not start the car. Take the battery to a place where they can test it and see if it is bad. I doubt that you damaged anything by jumping the car. And if you don't drive it often, the purchase of a battery tender would be a great idea.

ELECTRONC5 01-05-2009 12:48 PM

Thanks so much for the replies! Do you think it will be OK to leave the battery in the car while it's being tested? It will start as normal and I could drive it over. BTW, one of my faults is that I don't drive it enough, especially in the winter...and it has been really cold lately....

poolboy 01-05-2009 01:03 PM

if it is starting now then it will be fine to drive it to get the battery tested

bencini231 01-05-2009 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe (Post 1568440681)
:iagree: If you haven't started it for several weeks, it could just have drained down enough to not start the car. Take the battery to a place where they can test it and see if it is bad. I doubt that you damaged anything by jumping the car. And if you don't drive it often, the purchase of a battery tender would be a great idea.

:iagree:

2vettes2go 01-05-2009 02:19 PM

just a weak battery. invest in a battery tender if you are not going to drive your vet at laeast once a week. had the same thing but i needed a new battery, since it wasem from 03.

bartsky 01-05-2009 02:23 PM

Battery Tender Plus...:thumbs:

TEXHAWK0 01-05-2009 02:49 PM

My experience with most batteries is that once you let them go completely dead, they are never the same again.
Maybe you should just disconnect the battery if you are not going to drive it for weeks at a time.

Dave68 01-05-2009 03:13 PM

From what I've seen, each drain that is severe enough so that the battery won't start the car will chop off about 3-5 months from the life of the battery. If you don't have an automatic charger, you might want to get one. It will come in handy, sooner or later. Most shops want you to remove the battery and take it inside so they can quickly attach their charging equipment (the battery must be fully charged to run a load test). Yes, it can be done outside, but that leaves the engine bay exposed to passer-bys.
certainly, a Battery Tender Plus is great to have if your car won't be started and taken out for a good run for two weeks or more, depending upon the age of the battery. Still, it's always a good idea to keep the battery as close to a full charge as possible.

killain 01-05-2009 04:57 PM

I had my 2003 at the shop last month and while it was there they 'Load Tested' the battery while the battery was still in the car, No problem !

e6bailey 01-05-2009 07:49 PM

My car does the same thing you are speaking of when the battery is dead. Once on the battery charger for about 30 Seconds it normally stops ticking. I have replaced my battery and still have this problem when I let the car sit for longer then about 3 weeks. When the time comes to get another new battery(sure I have drained this New once to many times), I am going to start keeping it on a charger like described above.:cheers:

dobewillie 01-05-2009 08:05 PM

15 bucks for a tender and a minute of your time to hook it up is well worth it:thumbs:

ELECTRONC5 01-07-2009 08:17 AM

battery problem

Thanks again for all the help, folks! I purchased an 800 MA Battery Tender, hooked it up and it worked just fine. It took overnite to do it, so the battery was really low. Now we'll see if it holds the charge. Either way, I needed to invest in a Battery Tender anyway. Hooked it up to the Duralast in my Mazda and it only took an hour and a half to reach full charge and it's almost 2 years old. That will be the next battery to replace the Vettes' DieHard (DieEasy)!

Quicksilver Vert 01 01-07-2009 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by ELECTRONC5 (Post 1568460846)
Thanks again for all the help, folks! I purchased an 800 MA Battery Tender, hooked it up and it worked just fine. It took overnite to do it, so the battery was really low. Now we'll see if it holds the charge. Either way, I needed to invest in a Battery Tender anyway. Hooked it up to the Duralast in my Mazda and it only took an hour and a half to reach full charge and it's almost 2 years old. That will be the next battery to replace the Vettes' DieHard (DieEasy)!

Don't short sell the DieHard battery. 800 MA is less than 1 AMP, and it's not intended to recharge a DEAD battery.
You shoult use a conventional charger, that can produce around 10 AMPS, to fully recharge a dead battery. I'll bet that your Mazda battery was not dead when you hooked it up to the battery tender.

ELECTRONC5 01-07-2009 12:52 PM

Battery problem

Actually, you're correct.. the Mazda battery was fine and the car gets driven often. The Vettes' battery was holding the charge from the jump-start, so I'm hoping it will be OK. Whattaya think?

Quicksilver Vert 01 01-07-2009 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by ELECTRONC5 (Post 1568463594)
Actually, you're correct.. the Mazda battery was fine and the car gets driven often. The Vettes' battery was holding the charge from the jump-start, so I'm hoping it will be OK. Whattaya think?

I think you're good to go for now. Just keep the battery tender on the Vette, if it's not going to be driven for more than a week. The Sears DieHard is a strong battery. :cheers: