CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   C4 Hood strut / shock replacement (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/2252305-c4-hood-strut-shock-replacement.html)

Don in VT 02-15-2009 10:21 AM

C4 Hood strut / shock replacement

Hi All,

I just replaced my hood strut/gas shocks. Prior to that I did not have any help with raising the hood. The little shocks do not seem big enough to do much but I decided to install new ones anyway. After install I noticed that they did help a little.

Has anyone out there installed a shock with a larger diameter piston ? If so, could I get the part number and supplier for an improved gas shock ?

I got a very good price on the OEM style at a parts dealer with the web site of <www.partsgeek.com>. Also the partsgeek folks have excellent customer service and great delivery times.

Best Regards,

Don in VT

cumbercr 02-15-2009 01:16 PM

I have an 85 with the small shocks. The old shocks are shot. I ordered a new pair on Ebay from thepartsladi. I'll let you know if they work any better. They were worth the $20 to find out.

Don in VT 02-15-2009 01:37 PM

Hi Cumbercr,

I basically have the same shock from the partsgeek seller. As I mentioned, the shocks seem to help a little but not as I expected.

msslp04 02-15-2009 02:19 PM

I bought the two small struts from Rock Auto and really like them:
SACHS Part # SG430011 {Eyelet End Fittings: 6" Ext. 5" Compressor. Length}
Category: Lift Support $7.84 ea

Kevin :)

AGENT 86 02-15-2009 09:44 PM

Does your vette have the gas assist hood prop ?? I don't recall when they changed over, but that mod sure made a difference on my 86.

HlhnEast 02-15-2009 10:16 PM

My Vette didnt have the shocks when I bought it and I bought the pair for my '85 from Ecklers. Alot of money for not much help. Maybe a little easier to raise and doesnt slam as hard going down. I understand the later systems actually do something. If your gonna replace em and Msslp04 has a cheaper alternative, go with them.

ramiles 02-15-2009 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by AGENT 86 (Post 1568962528)
Does your vette have the gas assist hood prop ?? I don't recall when they changed over, but that mod sure made a difference on my 86.

:iagree:

ratortor 01-26-2010 06:49 PM

more on hood prop

I'm still not clear on whether there is a gas assist prop rod that would replace the non-gas rod on my 87 Corvette.
I replaced the 2 smaller units but not much help.

aboatguy 01-26-2010 07:01 PM

Try the lift mechanism from the later C4s...There is only one large gas strut on my 95 but it works well.

dogfish246 01-26-2010 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by aboatguy (Post 1572887448)
Try the lift mechanism from the later C4s...There is only one large gas strut on my 95 but it works well.

:iagree: My hood for my 96 is super light to pick up... could do it with my pinky!

LD85 01-26-2010 07:20 PM

Replace the stock small shocks, its easily the best money you can spend:thumbs:

AGENT 86 01-26-2010 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by ratortor (Post 1572887301)
I'm still not clear on whether there is a gas assist prop rod that would replace the non-gas rod on my 87 Corvette.
I replaced the 2 smaller units but not much help.

There is, it's from newer C4's, 88+ I think. You will also need the upper mount(hood), you can get by with just a ball stud mounted to existing bracket, for the lower mount.

ratortor 01-26-2010 09:31 PM

All comments much appreciated

Thanks

1985 Corvette 05-22-2010 11:19 AM

I'm bumping a very old thread but I'm having a concern about a pair I picked up from Corvette Central. I don't have the hood on the car yet but I've noticed I can't get the rod on either of the two small struts to push in at all. When I purchased new shocks for the car I was even able to push those in.

Anyone else notice this? Also, it's been a while since I've had these on the car but according to the diagrams in the shop manuals, the cylinder end is up while the rod end points down towards the ground. Anyone else have issues installing these?

HlhnEast 05-22-2010 06:06 PM

Hey Jamall, Definitely a Biotch. Make sure you push the hood wide open, i.e. open it further than it rests at. I had to use a piece of angle iron levering off the hood bracket to depress the cylinder just enough to get it on the pivot. A lot of effort for little gain. I cant wait to upgrade/add to the later style mono piston.

Hollar at me and I will come by and help you if you want, I am in town til late next week.

1985 Corvette 05-22-2010 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by HlhnEast (Post 1574154901)
Hey Jamall, Definitely a Biotch. Make sure you push the hood wide open, i.e. open it further than it rests at. I had to use a piece of angle iron levering off the hood bracket to depress the cylinder just enough to get it on the pivot. A lot of effort for little gain. I cant wait to upgrade/add to the later style mono piston.

Hollar at me and I will come by and help you if you want, I am in town til late next week.

Sometimes you just gotta get out there and give it a try. And yes, they popped in no problem. I haven't had any on in forever (the old ones were shot) and I was surprised by how much of a difference they make versus no opening support at all.

If you're in town for a while, I guess you'll have to come by and see the abomination sometime. Bring a barf bag.:ack:

HlhnEast 05-23-2010 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette (Post 1574155183)
Sometimes you just gotta get out there and give it a try. And yes, they popped in no problem. I haven't had any on in forever (the old ones were shot) and I was surprised by how much of a difference they make versus no opening support at all.

If you're in town for a while, I guess you'll have to come by and see the abomination sometime. Bring a barf bag.:ack:

HA! you havent seen some of the stuff I resurrected, I have a strong stomach :D PM me directions and/or phone number and I will give ya a call.

Take care!