CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   will car pass inspection with an abs lights on??? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2365741-will-car-pass-inspection-with-an-abs-lights-on.html)

o2z51 06-30-2009 09:43 AM

will car pass inspection with an abs lights on???

I know stupid question, but since my car has been throwing code 1214, that i cant clear, my inspection has expired, will the car actually pass inspection???? I have the abs lights on and service traction and active handling...:ack:

Stevo92z28 06-30-2009 09:51 AM

Really doubt it.

o2z51 06-30-2009 09:54 AM

yeah, I didnt think so.....:cheers:

knyght4 06-30-2009 10:10 AM

absolutely not.

o2z51 06-30-2009 10:18 AM

fcuk, took the car fopr a little cruise last night, 3 tickets.....1 for inspection...:(..... But it also seems i cant clear out the codes..

Bill Dearborn 06-30-2009 11:05 AM

They don't care whether the ABS light is on or not. The base brake system works fine and the Check Engine Light is not on. If the inspector makes an issue of the ABS light go some place else.

From the DMV web site here is what they check on the brakes:
Brakes

At least one front wheel must be removed to inspect the brakes.
  • Brake pedal reserve - brake pedal must have 1/3 reserve
  • Brake pedal fade - brake must hold for one minute without fading
  • Power brake unit - check for proper operation
  • Brake master cylinder - check for leakage and proper fluid level
  • Disc brake pads - check condition
  • Drum brake linings - thickness of linings must be at least 1/16 inch on bonded linings or at least 1/32 inch over rivet head on riveted linings, with no loose or missing rivets or lining
  • Brake drums and/or rotors - check condition
  • Wheel cylinders and/or calipers - check for leakage
  • All brake lines and hoses - check for leaks, cracks, chafing, restrictions, and improper support
  • Parking brake - check for components and function
  • Brake equalization - test vehicle for a straight stop without significant wheel pull
If somebody gives you a hassle about the ABS just leave. From the DMVs web site:
You are not required to have your vehicle repaired or re-inspected at the station that performed the initial inspection. Your vehicle may be taken to any registered repair shop, or you may make the required repairs yourself. Your vehicle must then pass a new inspection, at an inspection station of your choice, before an inspection sticker will be issued.

You got a ticket for not having a current inspection sticker when you didn't need to get a ticket.

Bill

csc67 06-30-2009 11:43 AM

I vote YES your car will pass inspection in NY - ABS is not required, it is an option - Your brakes will still work - Call around to a local inspection station and ask them

o2z51 06-30-2009 02:14 PM

it def passes......:cheers:

TEXHAWK0 06-30-2009 07:07 PM

The brakes just have to be able to stop the car. There are a lot of cars that still do not have ABS like our 2007 Impala. I thought all Impalas had ABS, but the base model does not.