CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Lightweight clutch/flywheel VS Standard weight (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/2383667-lightweight-clutch-flywheel-vs-standard-weight.html)

Superman09 07-23-2009 09:32 AM

Lightweight clutch/flywheel VS Standard weight

I'm curious about all the effects of switching to a lightweight chromoly or the like flywheel/lightweight clutch assembly. I drive my car on the street everyday so it rarely see's dig launches on the street, just rolls. I do however enjoy going to the 1/4 mile track once a month or so for fun. I've heard that the light set-ups will help the car rev therefore being fun from the roll blasts, but will bog me down on launches at the track. What do you guys suggest? If you suggest light, whats the limit as to how light? I like that RPS Organic twin disc with the lightweight flywheel but it might be too light? Please educate me :thumbs:

:cheers:

mcgilles 07-23-2009 11:50 AM

:lurk:

sorry I can't offer anything more than popcorn...but I'm interested in your question as well.

dmiz0420 07-23-2009 02:11 PM

Twin disc pressure plates can be heavy and end up weighing about the same as stock depending on the flywheel.

Unless you’re going with a quartermaster clutch with 5" discs you can use a light weight flywheel and pressure plate without a problem.

RPS twins weigh about 42lbs, stock ls1 ~ 50lbs, ls7 ~ 60, spec stage 3 light weight pressure plate and aluminum flywheel ~ 35lbs...

Bogging is all going to depend on your release and engine power. If you can compensate for the lighter weight as the clutch engages there shouldn't be an issue. Lets face it, we compensate for clutch engagement weather we have a light weight clutch or not.

Ikester 07-23-2009 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by mcgilles (Post 1570886860)

sorry I can't offer anything more than popcorn...but I'm interested in your question as well.

Same here, from my past understanding was that lighter flywheels are great for performance (less rotating mass) however the drawback is a noisy tranny when your sitting there at idle. Now this was with an aluminum flywheel. the chromoly is a different material im guessing so I cant speak for it.

some people dont care about the extra noise, for me i like my vette quiet except for the exhaust sound

dmiz0420 07-23-2009 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ikester (Post 1570888468)
Same here, from my past understanding was that lighter flywheels are great for performance (less rotating mass) however the drawback is a noisy tranny when your sitting there at idle. Now this was with an aluminum flywheel. the chromoly is a different material im guessing so I cant speak for it.

some people dont care about the extra noise, for me i like my vette quiet except for the exhaust sound

Do you know the aluminum makes more noise from experience?

If you had a bad throw out bearing yes other wise I can't see how aluminum would cause more noise at idle or any other speed. I'm guessing sitting at idle with the trans in neutral.

Aluminum flywheels have sintered steel inserts for the clutch plate to bare on.

Maybe the intermediate plate on SOME twin discs rattle when you press in the clutch and it unloads.

I havn't noticed any extra noise but can't tell because I have lg pro headers off road x pipe and cat back...:thumbs:

AU N EGL 07-23-2009 03:05 PM

almost all aftermarket clutches make noise.

intoc6s 07-23-2009 04:01 PM

Spec 3+ and Aluminum Flywheel- I don t hear anything but headers/exhaust. But i will say FROM EXPERIENCE, The engine will rev up more quickly and as for drag racing- I was scared of "less inertia" out of the hole, but with my current engine with a 4" stroke(427) it takes off great! With stock cubes I couldn t tell u. Maybe someone will chime in and say...:thumbs: