CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   MAF Power and Burn Off Relays PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/2399254-maf-power-and-burn-off-relays-please-help.html)

arrested609 08-12-2009 04:07 AM

MAF Power and Burn Off Relays PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!

I'm wanting to change both my MAF power and burn off relays on my 1988 Corvette. Are they the Same number relays ?. IF not which one is the BURN OFF relay if your looking from the front of your vette looking at the fire-wall. Is it the left one or the right one. Thanks, Craig.

CorvetteMike2024 08-12-2009 08:13 AM

Relays

They are the same. Change both of them. They are inexpensive anyway. Your replacement relays will probably come from India.:bs Also clean your maf with some spray MAF cleaner.

Corvette Mike

arrested609 08-12-2009 01:29 PM

Hey

Thanks Mike that will help me.:cheers:

:cheers:They are the same. Change both of them. They are inexpensive anyway. Your replacement relays will probably come from India.:bs Also clean your maf with some spray MAF cleaner.

Corvette Mike[/QUOTE]

jeffp1167 08-12-2009 04:01 PM

there was a guy on 3rd gen who found a difference with them. I can't recall what it was, they look the same externally but something was different inside of them. He thought this to be the cause of most maf related codes being thrown in cars.

CorvetteMike2024 08-12-2009 04:11 PM

vette

Originally Posted by jeffp1167 (Post 1571114292)
there was a guy on 3rd gen who found a difference with them. I can't recall what it was, they look the same externally but something was different inside of them. He thought this to be the cause of most maf related codes being thrown in cars.

On my 89, they are the same.

jeffp1167 08-12-2009 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by CorvetteMike2004 (Post 1571114389)
On my 89, they are the same.

I think this was a pre-89 thing, something about resistors in it that werent in the power relay.

rick lambert 08-12-2009 04:24 PM

Mines an 87 and I'm 99 percent sure there the same.

jeffp1167 08-12-2009 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by rick lambert (Post 1571114558)
Mines an 87 and I'm 99 percent sure there the same.

ahhhh the 1% can always mess you up everytime :rofl:

JordanSmith 12-13-2009 06:50 PM

a mess of MAF

I am getting error 34, on and off, upon starting the 87 vet. I know there are MAF relays, but can't find the location of. The 2 shop manuals I have just say "check em".

There are 4 sliver units in the fuse box for which I also cannot find or determine function of.

Some say the green wire from MAF to ECM is bad, some say the exhaust is plugged up and messing with the air flow.

I would hate to change relays, MAF, and ECM, only to get the "Check engine" light again.

Any ideas would be great,

Tanks,

Jordan

CorvetteMike2024 12-13-2009 06:56 PM

vette

Originally Posted by JordanSmith (Post 1572419298)
I am getting error 34, on and off, upon starting the 87 vet. I know there are MAF relays, but can't find the location of. The 2 shop manuals I have just say "check em".

There are 4 sliver units in the fuse box for which I also cannot find or determine function of.

Some say the green wire from MAF to ECM is bad, some say the exhaust is plugged up and messing with the air flow.

I would hate to change relays, MAF, and ECM, only to get the "Check engine" light again.

Any ideas would be great,

Tanks,

Jordan

Check the electrical connection going into the MAF itself. Sometimes those metal tips get corrosion on them.

I have had this happen to me. Good Luck

Corvette Mike :cheers:

JackDidley 12-13-2009 09:04 PM

I have an 87. They originally had 2 different part #s but now just one is used. I have no problem with the replacements. I' think the MAFs are the same over the years.

Baldfart 12-14-2009 10:45 AM

I have a 87, and when I purchased it, it had a code 34. The previous owner had put in a new MAF. He said they couldn't figure out what was going on. He had even checked for shorts in the wiring harness. All I did was replace the two relays and it solved the problem.:cheers:

JordanSmith 12-14-2009 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by CorvetteMike2004 (Post 1572419359)
Check the electrical connection going into the MAF itself. Sometimes those metal tips get corrosion on them.

Corvette Mike :cheers:

Tanks C.M.

I have check the 4 poled plug into the MAF, the connectors on the EMC look "old" and grey, not copper color.

I get the code 34 on and off, when I start the car, and if I turn it OFF and try again, I won't get the code.

Very fustrating, as I have been able to change the clutch, brakes, deal with the parasidic drain from the LCD, and the faulty radiator, but this intermitant error code really chapps my hide...

Are the relays around or next to the Spark plug advance connector that I had to un-hook to do the timing ???

C409 12-14-2009 08:46 PM

On my '87 they are on the firewall just above the battery ... one is parallel to the FW and the other is perpendicular ... but they are attached to the same bracket ...

88flyer 12-14-2009 09:18 PM

MAF relays

change them both, they are the same part one is power to the MAF the other is power to the burn off circuit, by the way the burn off is the outboard one of the two (side by side behind battery) if you do get a code disconect batt. for 20 seconds and back on again that should take care of it.

JordanSmith 12-16-2009 07:53 PM

Free pen inside...

Thank you C.M. and 88,

I see em, never would have looked there. Right below is a power "Block" with 12volt feeds: I see a red wire on top of them all, that someone used to "Steal" constant radio power to the aftermarket CD player my Dad had put in "Professionally" (ha ha ha...) Right now I am un hooking the feed to the CD player if that had anything to do with it, maybe no, but I would rather the radio be on the radio fuse. And now I can replace the MAF relays thanks to you guys.

Hey ! working on your own VET can be profitable...

I found a 1989 "Valley Corvette" ball point pen inside my radiator! for FREE !!

...I should go buy a lottery ticket...

JordanSmith 01-04-2010 11:26 AM

MAF relay seems to solve the "34"

New maf relay from CHINA seems to have solved the error code 34. Thanks so much for the help and input to all you guys.

..Of course, it never ends, as soon as I installed the relay, the Alpine CD player decided to keep the CD and not play it or eject it... Radio still works though....

Hope everyone had a Good and safe new year...

Jordan

87Vetteowner 10-28-2011 06:17 PM

THis may be a little late to the thread but from our newsletter:

Tech Tip#1: For C4 Corvettes in the 1987 to 1989 vintage, you may
experience a Trouble Code 34. This code was used on many OBD-1 Computer
Control Systems to indicate a problem with the Manifold Absolute Pressure
Sensor or the Mass Airflow Sensor. Early C4's had the Manifold Absolute
Pressure Sensors, later ones do not, so when the code 34 appears, most shops
change the Mass Airflow Sensor hoping the problem will be fixed, but then
the Check Engine light comes on again. GM Technical Support provides
additional service advice to correct the intermittent Check Engine light
(Code 34). End result is 2 relays can cause "Code 34" in 1987 and later
Corvettes:

1. Mass Air Flow Relay (pn 14089936 , it also maybe another number)

2. Burn Off Relay

If you are having this problem, save yourself lots of expense and trouble
and replace those two relays.

JordanSmith 10-28-2011 06:44 PM

It was the relays

[QUOTE=CorvetteMike2004;1572419359]Check the electrical connection going into the MAF itself. Sometimes those metal tips get corrosion on them.

Corvette Mike :cheers:[/Thanks mike turned out to be the relays]

WW7 10-28-2011 07:01 PM

[QUOTE=JordanSmith;1579080001]

Originally Posted by CorvetteMike2004 (Post 1572419359)

Corvette Mike :cheers:[/Thanks mike turned out to be the relays]

Just for future reference you are always suppose to change both relays whenever you change a MAF sensor....:thumbs:..WW