CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Engine Replacement (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/2487372-engine-replacement.html)

gsff19 12-13-2009 08:29 PM

Engine Replacement

Here is my issue, I have a stock 1984 corvette with the L89, Im looking to put in a crate motor most likely a 350 with a carb/air cleaner. I need to know if anyone has done that and what I need to look out for.

Do I need to change any of my cooling components?

is there any hood clearance issues?

whats a good motor to use?

What extra will I have to purchase with the motor?

Thanks

gsff19 12-20-2009 10:15 PM

Really Nobody has any advice.........

Pete K 12-20-2009 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by gsff19 (Post 1572490081)
Really Nobody has any advice.........

As a newer member, you may not be aware that this is discussed very often. After years and years of archiving data, many do not wish to answer the same questions over and over.
I have not done the swap, so I cannot offer 1st hand advice.
I would recommend using the search feature to look back at all of the carb swaps done in a c4.
Good luck.

pr0zac 12-20-2009 10:45 PM

don't carb it.

Frizlefrak 12-21-2009 03:26 AM

As Pete mentioned, this has been discussed a multitude of times. A search of the archives should net you a great deal of data.

If you decide to remove the CFI and use a carburetor, you will need the carb and low profile intake (hood clearance is an issue), a non-computer controlled distributor (HEI), a means of lowering your fuel pressure such as a regulator, a drop down air cleaner for hood clearance, and all associated mounting brackets and linkages, cables, etc. You will need a means of locking the torque converter if Auto, such as a vacuum switch, and a bracket for the TV cable on the auto. I'm sure I'm missing something, but that should get you started. Please be advised that if you live in an emissions testing area, your car (while it may still pass) is no longer emissions legal.

It's certainly doable, and many have done it. Mind if I ask why specifically you want to switch to a carb? There are a number of ways to improve CFI performance, and the system is quite reliable if maintained like any other EFI system.

As for engines, your car has a generation 1 small block Chevy engine. There are an abundance of suitable crate motors available, depending on what your power goals are and what you want to spend. And unless the block is defective in some way, you can rebuild yours too.

Your cooling system should be fine if it's up to snuff already.

BTW...your engine is the L-83, not L-89.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Brettmc 12-23-2009 07:52 PM

Keep your injection. You might think carbs are easier to deal with, and to a degree they are, but FI is much more accurate and not hard to understand if you study on it some.

larry00 12-23-2009 09:04 PM

You can buy a marine engine with stand alone engine management system . EFI is better !