CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   removing steering column from C3 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/2547809-removing-steering-column-from-c3.html)

bucksy99 03-12-2010 05:07 PM

removing steering column from C3

I am working on the interior of a 75'. Removed and painted everything except the dashboard and instrument pads.

I looked into several restoration guides to figure out how to disconnect the steering column at the gear coupling. The pinch bolt has just 'ripples' on it.
There is no way to get a socket or wrench on it.

I can't get it off with a pair of pliers.

Does anybody have an idea how to get it off ?

Thanks a lot.

Gordonm 03-12-2010 05:21 PM

The "ripples" are for a 12 point socket. Stick a 12 pointer on it and turn it.

bucksy99 03-12-2010 07:45 PM

thanks

I might have to drill it out and replace it.

after it is removes is the column ready to pulled out or is there anything else I need to worry about ?

Thanks again

Jim Shea 03-12-2010 09:10 PM

The pinch bolt has a 7/16 12 point head. Both the flex coupling at the gear and the flange attached to the steering column shaft use the same pinch bolt. When the pinch bolt is torqued to specification, the flange actually "wraps" around the gear or column shaft. Once the bolt is removed it is helpful to take a big screwdriver blade and force it into the slot in the flange and open it up just a slight amount. The flange will come right off.

Jim

bucksy99 03-12-2010 09:25 PM

thanks a lot Jim. I'll try it out tomorrow.

bucksy99 03-14-2010 02:53 PM

I am having a hard time removing that bolt.

Is there any way to disassemble the steering column in the car ?
I only want to paint the part that holds the lock cylinder and the 'cover shroud' below that.

It would be great if I would not have to take the whole thing out.

Any ideas ?

Thanks
Norman

bj1k 03-14-2010 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by bucksy99 (Post 1573417204)
I am having a hard time removing that bolt.

Is there any way to disassemble the steering column in the car ?
I only want to paint the part that holds the lock cylinder and the 'cover shroud' below that.

It would be great if I would not have to take the whole thing out.

Any ideas ?

Thanks
Norman

Why are you having trouble taking that bolt out ? You must be trying to put a six point socket on it. Do you know what they mean when they say a twelve point socket ? There is no reason you should be having trouble taking that bolt out if you are using the right socket. You must take that bolt all of the way out because there is a slot in the edge of the shaft that the bolt rides in.

bucksy99 03-14-2010 03:36 PM

I know.

I am using the 'ring' part of a normal wrench. It is hard to reach because the car is parked in the garage close to the wall (it doesn't run right now) and the bolt has probably neven been removed before. I am using WD40 but now luck so far.

will keep trying.

72LS1Vette 03-14-2010 07:17 PM

:cheers:

Originally Posted by bucksy99 (Post 1573417627)
I know.

I am using the 'ring' part of a normal wrench. It is hard to reach because the car is parked in the garage close to the wall (it doesn't run right now) and the bolt has probably neven been removed before. I am using WD40 but now luck so far.

will keep trying.

Try using something like PB Blaster or Kroil. PB Blaster is available at any chain auto parts store. Kroil is harder to come by but I hear it is even better than PB. You might also want to invest in a decent socket set.

:cheers:

Rick B.

markids77 03-14-2010 10:13 PM

I suggest either rolling it outside where there is enough room to get to it before you strip the bolt head beyond removal, or better yet spend your time and money making it run instead of making it pretty. Your return on investment is vastly better if it moves under its own power.

Jim Shea 03-14-2010 11:15 PM

You can take the turn signal/lock cylinder off of the column without removing the column from the car. You must take the column out of the car in order to remove the cover shroud.

BTW, you do not need to remove the pinch bolt(s) in order to remove the steering column from the car. There are two nuts and lock washers that attach the flexible coupling to the steering column flange. Remove those nuts and the whole steering column with the lower flange still attached can be removed from the car. (The flexible coupling will remain attached to the steering gear.)

Remove those nuts and lockwashers; unhook the cable from the lower lever on the steering column; remove the two nuts insdie the car and detach the steering column toe pan bracket from the dash mount; remove the two vertical bolts that hold the column up into the dash. You will also need to detach the three electrical connectors, the plastic panels and the metal cross piece under the column.

Raise the lower lever on the end of the steering column to the full up position. Now you can pull the steering column straight back into the driver compartment. (There is a cutout in the dash panel so the lower lever will pass through if it is in the up position.)

Jim

bucksy99 03-16-2010 02:30 PM

will that flange fit through the firewall when I pull the column into the interior ?

guess I will find out....

Jim Shea 03-16-2010 02:47 PM

Yes, there is clearance for the flange to pass into the driver compartment.
Jim

bucksy99 03-16-2010 02:51 PM

thanks for all you help Jim. I doused the pinch bolt with PB Blaster but it is still not moving. I might take the coupling apart if that wont work.

bucksy99 03-19-2010 11:07 AM

I got the pinch bolt out and also removed the dash and the instrument panel. How do I unhook the cable from the lower lever on the steering column ? In the Haynes book it says 'disconnect the backdrive linkage from the base of the steering column.'

Thanks