CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Help: radio won't turn on.... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2560778-help-radio-wont-turn-on.html)

60av8tor 03-29-2010 02:46 PM

Help: radio won't turn on....

Just got the car after it had been sitting idle of three months, charged the battery. Everything works except the DVD/Nav/Radio.
Any ideas ???
:lurk:

d.medic 03-29-2010 03:38 PM

does it say "locked" ?

Vette_DD 03-29-2010 04:20 PM

And you checked the fuse, right?

Gearhead Jim 03-29-2010 04:53 PM

And you tried shutting down - restarting, right?

mattl182001 03-29-2010 06:14 PM

Same thing happened to me today. Exact same symptoms. I tried restarting/disconnecting the battery and nothing.
Which fuse is the radio fuse? I look through all of them but couldn't find it. Maybe I overlooked it...

mattl182001 03-29-2010 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by mattl182001 (Post 1573587518)
Same thing happened to me today. Exact same symptoms. I tried restarting/disconnecting the battery and nothing.
Which fuse is the radio fuse? I look through all of them but couldn't find it. Maybe I overlooked it...

Found the fuse under passenger foot panel. Fuse was good. Any other ideas?

RicK T 03-29-2010 09:05 PM

This has come up many times. I don't have an answer, just ideas from prior threads.

Usually the issue resolves itself. Some believe it is FOB related, ie: if the car is started with a different FOB than was used when shutting it down, it gets confused and takes time to catch up (???, don't know, just passing it on). In a couple cases the radios were replaced, under warranty, with no further issues (??? again, don't know).

Hope it works out easily. :)

cclive 03-29-2010 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by mattl182001 (Post 1573589022)
Found the fuse under passenger foot panel. Fuse was good. Any other ideas?

Yes, pull that fuse out and leave it overnight, then try putting it back in.:thumbs:

mattl182001 03-30-2010 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by RicK T (Post 1573589697)
This has come up many times. I don't have an answer, just ideas from prior threads.

Usually the issue resolves itself. Some believe it is FOB related, ie: if the car is started with a different FOB than was used when shutting it down, it gets confused and takes time to catch up (???, don't know, just passing it on). In a couple cases the radios were replaced, under warranty, with no further issues (??? again, don't know).

Hope it works out easily. :)

Thanks for your reply. I have been doing some research and it does seem that it fixes itself. Unfortunately, I have shutdown and restarted it several times switched fuses and still nothing. The unit will still eject CD's but no sound coming through and will not power up. My car is no longer under warranty and I really want to avoid having to buy a new nav unit. :willy:

glennhl 03-30-2010 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by mattl182001 (Post 1573591876)
Thanks for your reply. I have been doing some research and it does seem that it fixes itself. Unfortunately, I have shutdown and restarted it several times switched fuses and still nothing. The unit will still eject CD's but no sound coming through and will not power up. My car is no longer under warranty and I really want to avoid having to buy a new nav unit. :willy:

Sometimes (not sure about the Vette) there are 2 fuses, one for the head unit and one for the amp.

60av8tor 03-30-2010 01:49 AM

Gonna try the fuse thing....will advise.
As usual, thanks for havin' my back folks :cheers:

60av8tor 03-30-2010 02:25 AM

Success !
It was the radio fuse ( under the toe board, pax side). I pulled it and, at the suggestion of my wife, put it back in without waiting overnight.
Fired right up after I turned the car on.

Perhaps this should be a sticky issue, seems to happen to a lot of folks.

Take it easy, ya'll :flag:

Originally Posted by 60av8tor (Post 1573592321)
Gonna try the fuse thing....will advise.
As usual, thanks for havin' my back folks :cheers:

mattl182001 03-30-2010 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by 60av8tor (Post 1573592428)
Success !
It was the radio fuse ( under the toe board, pax side). I pulled it and, at the suggestion of my wife, put it back in without waiting overnight.
Fired right up after I turned the car on.

Perhaps this should be a sticky issue, seems to happen to a lot of folks.

Take it easy, ya'll :flag:

Thats awesome! I am about to go try mine again... I left the fuse out overnight. I hope that did the trick. Just to make sure the fuese labeled "RDO" is the radio right? Thanks for your help guys.

cclive 03-30-2010 12:05 PM

Or Remote Destruct Operation...I can't remember which is which....:D

mattl182001 03-30-2010 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by cclive (Post 1573595409)
Or Remote Destruct Operation...I can't remember which is which....:D

I wish that was it, lol. I feel like blowing it up right now!

fuse was good, disconnected battery for an hour and tried it again. Still no luck :-( Gonna take it to the dealership now and hope like hell I dont have to buy a new NAV unit.

So frustrating! This is supposed to be GM's show pony and is the biggest POS I have ever owned. There will be a 05' C6 on the market very soon.

cclive 03-30-2010 02:06 PM

If it does need replacing, be sure to consider buying used...there are lots of places to get a NAV where you don't have to pay full boat.:thumbs:

A number of them at the auction site right now.

60av8tor 03-30-2010 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by mattl182001 (Post 1573596614)
I wish that was it, lol. I feel like blowing it up right now!

fuse was good, disconnected battery for an hour and tried it again. Still no luck :-( Gonna take it to the dealership now and hope like hell I dont have to buy a new NAV unit.

So frustrating! This is supposed to be GM's show pony and is the biggest POS I have ever owned. There will be a 05' C6 on the market very soon.

Just checkin', you pulled the fuse, right ? That's what did it for me, immediately and not after a night.

If that doesn't work, I recommend trying to contact Talon07. It's sort of like going to see 'The Wizard'.
Fingers crossed for ya ! :thumbs:

Spaghetti 03-30-2010 08:16 PM

I have had many experiences with my 2009 Vette when I would start the car in the morning and the Radio/Nav screen did not light up. You could hear the radio, but no display. After a few restarts, it would come on or at worse, later on in the day. I'm on my third Radio/Nav unit for this car due to various issues to include the one just discussed. My problems sound different from yours in that a fuse was not the cause, but GM certainly has a problem with the units installed in Corvettes and Cadillacs. All have similar issues and reliability could certainly be improved. Thank God my dealer is very good at meeting customer needs and understands the importance of providing quality service.
:flag:

Mike Green9 03-30-2010 10:59 PM

I had a similar problem once in my Cadillac STS. Pulled the 2 fuses, waited 30 seconds, and stuffed them back in. Problem resolved.

This may be something in the timing of the serial commnications between BCM and head unit. I normally shut off all accessories prior to shutting off the engine. The failure happened the one time I shut down the engine without first turning off the radio.

A dealer will no doubt clip you to fix this.

In any event, if mine permanently failed and I was out of warranty, that would be the perfect opportunity for me to loose the Bloose, and say hello to Kenwood. A high end Kenwood is not cheap (about $900), but you get what you pay for. And what a difference in sound and NAV.

M...

cclive 03-30-2010 11:13 PM

I remember hearing about TWO fuses also....maybe there is more than one that needs to be pulled....hopefully someone who knows will chime in...:bigears