CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Wiper Door-- electric conversion questions (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/2582606-wiper-door-electric-conversion-questions.html)

Ray Y 04-27-2010 02:27 PM

Wiper Door-- electric conversion questions

I've searched the old threads on this topic and have found where some of you guys have converted the wiper door operation from vacuum to electric operation, but I can't find any posts that actually have photos of what you used. I'd love to see some photos of what you have done.

If you have done it, which way did you go: linear actuator rod or rotary actuator and why?

If you went with the linear set up, what stroke length?

I look forward to seeing some examples of your mods.
:cheers:

ZBRA 04-27-2010 02:43 PM

:lurk:

KSM 04-27-2010 08:43 PM

:lurk:

As large as the vac actuator is and the long rubber boot that covers the rod..........I would fit a screw jack actuator inside the vac valve and boot and no one would know it was their.

I just fixed my wipers and door but next time I will go the electric route for sure.

Garys 68 04-27-2010 09:29 PM

linear actuator. Used 2 relays to change polarity. The actuators internal limit switch stops at closed. I use a dpdt microswitch instead of the spst wiper door switch to limit the door open, and energize the wiper motor. Works like a charm.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...14actuator.jpg

Ray Y 04-27-2010 10:52 PM

Gary,
That is exactly what I'm talking about! Thanks for posting the pic.

What stroke length actuator did you use?
Do you remember the manufacturer?

Garys 68 04-28-2010 01:18 AM

I eliminated all but the main arm of the mechanism and used a 2" acuator.
http://www.firgelliauto.com/product_...roducts_id=136

mrvette 04-28-2010 06:44 AM

I used a ~6" actuator, Chris, 69myway, got it for me, I used Radio shack burglar alarm contacts with magnets on the door itself, the reason is they are waterproof, microswitches are not waterproof, and in the wet may well fail....the contacts are readily available and cheep too....

the relays are basically easy...I used 3 of them, could go Solid state if I wanted to, but why bother?? the red WSW wiper motor wire is not needed, I put in a more 'normal' GM wiper motor setup, sans the pump action, used a 15 buck aftermarket pump and a button for that action...

I glued one contact to the windshield, and the other to the grill in front, two magnets on the door....4 wires through to inside behind the map pocket area where the 3 relays are glued/wired together with the main power relay support bolted to the cowling...ground to another bolt, one of the relays is a reversing relay, sole purpose is to reverse the polarity of the motor +- wires, the others are to turn on/off, and interact with the switches to limit the travel....
been there about 4 years now...

:thumbs:

...Roger... 04-28-2010 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1573902647)
I used a ~6" actuator, Chris, 69myway, got it for me, I used Radio shack burglar alarm contacts with magnets on the door itself, the reason is they are waterproof, microswitches are not waterproof, and in the wet may well fail....the contacts are readily available and cheep too....

the relays are basically easy...I used 3 of them, could go Solid state if I wanted to, but why bother?? the red WSW wiper motor wire is not needed, I put in a more 'normal' GM wiper motor setup, sans the pump action, used a 15 buck aftermarket pump and a button for that action...

I glued one contact to the windshield, and the other to the grill in front, two magnets on the door....4 wires through to inside behind the map pocket area where the 3 relays are glued/wired together with the main power relay support bolted to the cowling...ground to another bolt, one of the relays is a reversing relay, sole purpose is to reverse the polarity of the motor +- wires, the others are to turn on/off, and interact with the switches to limit the travel....
been there about 4 years now...

:thumbs:

Pics man we need pics :toetap::D

...Roger... 04-28-2010 08:11 AM

I guess I'm going to have to look into this but is there any reason you couldn't set this up like power door locks,push the toggle and it opens then push the toggle to close ? (no relays )

Garys 68 04-28-2010 09:11 AM

That's the easiest solution. I just wanted mine to work off the factory switch. Besides, relays are cheap, a couple bucks each, and the dpdt limit switch was under $10 and fit perfectly where the original wiper door switch fit.

Originally Posted by ...Roger... (Post 1573903037)
I guess I'm going to have to look into this but is there any reason you couldn't set this up like power door locks,push the toggle and it opens then push the toggle to close ? (no relays )

noonie 04-28-2010 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Garys 68 (Post 1573902115)
I eliminated all but the main arm of the mechanism and used a 2" acuator.
http://www.firgelliauto.com/product_...roducts_id=136

The Firgelli actuators are pretty decent. We use them all time for linear motion. :thumbs:

Ray Y 04-28-2010 02:31 PM

Thanks for the added info.

I had found the Fegelli actuators on the internet, and also saw some from AutoLoc, part # 6179E, that were only about 6.25" (158mm) long. I'll have to go back and look at the FA's but I think they were almost 10" long for the 2" stroke.

Keep the info coming!

Ray Y 04-28-2010 02:35 PM

Oops....website is www.route66supply.com

Originally Posted by Ray Y (Post 1573906843)
Thanks for the added info.

I had found the Fegelli actuators on the internet, and also saw some from AutoLoc, part # 6179E, that were only about 6.25" (158mm) long. I'll have to go back and look at the FA's but I think they were almost 10" long for the 2" stroke.

Keep the info coming!

AAJC 04-30-2010 06:31 AM

I did mine over 25 years ago. I didnt know about actuators then, so I used a Mazda RX7 pop up head light motor.
I welded its mounting bracket to the vacum mounting bracket, modified the vacum shaft to fit on the rotary arm of the headlight motor. Then used a DPDT relay to sense power to the wiper motor to lift the wiper door when power goes to the wipers & more importantly not close until the wipers are parked.

I havnt touhed this setup in 25 years & it works every time.

If you want to go down this path, I will try to post some pics.

Otherwise, goodluck with whichever method you decide to use.

Cheers from Aus. :cheers:

Ray Y 04-30-2010 10:42 PM

Thanks Andrew. I'm guessing the linear actuator is smaller than the Mazda setup, but if you can post a pic I'd love to see how it looks. I have not ordered anything yet, but I need to within the next week.

carriljc 05-01-2010 09:41 AM

Please post the pics AAJC.....

sounds a little different....and interesting

TOM B1 05-10-2010 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by AAJC (Post 1573924302)
I did mine over 25 years ago. I didnt know about actuators then, so I used a Mazda RX7 pop up head light motor.
I welded its mounting bracket to the vacum mounting bracket, modified the vacum shaft to fit on the rotary arm of the headlight motor. Then used a DPDT relay to sense power to the wiper motor to lift the wiper door when power goes to the wipers & more importantly not close until the wipers are parked.

I havnt touhed this setup in 25 years & it works every time.

If you want to go down this path, I will try to post some pics.

Otherwise, goodluck with whichever method you decide to use.

Cheers from Aus. :cheers:

I like this idea and would like to see some pics AAJC

MrForce 05-10-2010 08:50 PM

:iagree: pics please

Fastguy 05-10-2010 09:08 PM

I am hoping to do the same thing with mine.

Ray Y 05-10-2010 10:17 PM

I wound up ordering the linear actuator from Route66Supply.com that is from AutoLoc that I referenced above. Awaiting delivery now. I'll post an update after I get it.