CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Adhesive for "Stingray" Emblem (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/2603390-adhesive-for-stingray-emblem.html)

TopGunn 05-26-2010 12:49 PM

Adhesive for "Stingray" Emblem

I removed all my stuff before painting, does anyone know what adhesive works best to reinstall the Stingray script emblem? Looks like whatever it is I'll have to apply it and trim it with an exacto blade. :ack:

SteveG75 05-26-2010 01:42 PM

I removed mine for painting and never bothered to reinstall with adhesive. Mine are just held on by the pressfit of the three pins. Over 6 years with no issues. Makes it very easy to wax and clean the car since I just pull the emblems off and then push them back on. Over 6 years with no issues.

Alan 71 05-26-2010 03:10 PM

Hi TG,
I believe there's access to at least a couple of the 'pins' on the script on each side of the body so I'd think 'speed-nuts' would secure the script in place.
Have you considered that method?
Regards,
Alan

Lon Wayne 05-26-2010 03:11 PM

Vader Vette

Originally Posted by SteveG75 (Post 1574193386)
I removed mine for painting and never bothered to reinstall with adhesive. Mine are just held on by the pressfit of the three pins. Over 6 years with no issues. Makes it very easy to wax and clean the car since I just pull the emblems off and then push them back on. Over 6 years with no issues.

Six years no problem great for you. (I live in Ohio our roads are junk)"I would not do this" as the original stingray emblem would be trash once it hits the pavement.
3m ( Na Na Na Napa) makes an emblem glue I would use it.And yep you gotta be careful how much you put on.

gbvette62 05-26-2010 03:53 PM

How you install them depends on what year you have and if they are original emblems.

69-73 "Stingray" emblems had 4 long studs, that take speednuts. 74-76 Stingray emblems had 3 short studs that were just there to properly position the emblem, they were installed using double sided tape. The 74-76 studs are to short to accept speednuts.

The 74-76 style emblems are the only ones that have been available from GM for the last 20 years. Correct 69-73s are available as a repro.

If you have 69-73 emblems, they can be re-installed using speednuts. If you want to install then using the double sided "automotive trim tape", you can get it at any auto parts store. This is the same tape that the automakers use to install emblems and moldings on new cars, and body shops use it too. It won't come off unless you want it to. It's a bit of a pain, triming it with an X-Acto knife, but it can be done.:thumbs:

Virginia Vettes 05-26-2010 04:31 PM

3M Emblem Adhesive is $5/tube. Be careful not to uses to much.
Virginia Vettes

SteveG75 05-26-2010 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Lon Wayne (Post 1574194274)
Six years no problem great for you. (I live in Ohio our roads are junk)"I would not do this" as the original stingray emblem would be trash once it hits the pavement.
3m ( Na Na Na Napa) makes an emblem glue I would use it.And yep you gotta be careful how much you put on.

NJ roads, CT roads, RI roads, MA roads.

There is really no force on the emblems.

If you are paranoid, you a little bit of the 3M adhesive buit I would not slather the whole thing.

Frogday 05-26-2010 04:48 PM

I don't have the judging guide here, but I don't think there were speed nuts on any of the Stingray emblems...pretty sure they were all held on with pressure sensitive adhesive backing.

Alan 71 05-26-2010 05:08 PM

Hi FD,
I looked... you're right...no nuts for 69-72 cars.
Regards,
Alan

Faster Rat 05-26-2010 05:39 PM

Ahh...nuts. I know they are not supposed to be there, but I used them anyway. Tried to apply and trim double face tape but it looked like crap. I'll leave it for the next caretaker to worry about, rather than me worrying about the original scripts falling off somewhere.

gbvette62 05-26-2010 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Frogday (Post 1574195234)
I don't have the judging guide here, but I don't think there were speed nuts on any of the Stingray emblems...pretty sure they were all held on with pressure sensitive adhesive backing.

:iagree:I should have said that "69-73 Stingray emblems had 4 long studs, that WILL take speednuts".

69s may have used speednuts though, the 69 asembly manual calls for them. The aim shows the nuts in the installation illustration for the emblems and includes a part number for the them. 70 and later aims do not show the nuts in the illustration. 70-76 were held on with the tape backing, but I'm not sure about 69s.

Chevrolet may have intended to install them with speednuts or initially did, and found that because of the difficulty in accessing the back of them, they needed a different way to attach them. The studs on the 69-73 emblem are clearly long enough and sized properly to accept speednuts, and the studs are spaced to evenly hold the emblem to the fender.

TopGunn 05-26-2010 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Alan 71 (Post 1574194271)
Hi TG,
I believe there's access to at least a couple of the 'pins' on the script on each side of the body so I'd think 'speed-nuts' would secure the script in place.
Have you considered that method?
Regards,
Alan

Hi Alan,

Yes but these are the 74-76 versions I guess that have the short stubby pins just for positioning. They hardley stick thru but 1/8 after they penetrate the body.

TopGunn 05-26-2010 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by gbvette62 (Post 1574194668)
How you install them depends on what year you have and if they are original emblems.

69-73 "Stingray" emblems had 4 long studs, that take speednuts. 74-76 Stingray emblems had 3 short studs that were just there to properly position the emblem, they were installed using double sided tape. The 74-76 studs are to short to accept speednuts.

The 74-76 style emblems are the only ones that have been available from GM for the last 20 years. Correct 69-73s are available as a repro.

If you have 69-73 emblems, they can be re-installed using speednuts. If you want to install then using the double sided "automotive trim tape", you can get it at any auto parts store. This is the same tape that the automakers use to install emblems and moldings on new cars, and body shops use it too. It won't come off unless you want it to. It's a bit of a pain, triming it with an X-Acto knife, but it can be done.:thumbs:

Yup these are the short stubby 74-76 ones. There was black double sided tape holding them when I took them off, it was sure cut nice to match the letters. I'll give it a shot with a sharp exacto knife and see how I do I guess. Hope I can get it in black
If that fails I'll try the 3M Emblem adhesive. I didn't know there was such a thing.

Thanks for all the replies and tips:cheers:

OzzyC4 05-26-2010 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Virginia Vettes (Post 1574195051)
3M Emblem Adhesive is $5/tube. Be careful not to uses to much.
Virginia Vettes

:iagree: and good advice aobut using just a little bit, less than you think is a little bit!

TopGunn 05-27-2010 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by OzzyC4 (Post 1574197526)
:iagree: and good advice aobut using just a little bit, less than you think is a little bit!

Thanks Ozzy!

I don't have the car back yet, should be a couple of weeks. I cleaned these things up, removed the old faded black highlight paint and reapplied it with an artist brush under a magnifying glass. Came out looking pretty nice.