CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   why cant i charge my phone using cigarette lighter ? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/2606854-why-cant-i-charge-my-phone-using-cigarette-lighter.html)

GTA8500 05-31-2010 07:33 PM

why cant i charge my phone using cigarette lighter ?

What can i do? the lighter works fine, but when i plug phone charger or anything else that needs power nothing happens.

c4cruiser 05-31-2010 07:46 PM

Could be that the contact in the plug aren't touching the cig lighter contact. Also check the ground tab on the side of the charger plug.

Does it work in other cars? Some charger cords have an integral fuse in the housing that may have popped.

I don't have any problems with my C4 or C5.

GTA8500 05-31-2010 07:56 PM

mmm i thought that i need to do an upgrade since its an old car 1987 vette. i have tried my charger in another car and it works! but like i said the lighter works in the vette.

RollaMo-LT4 05-31-2010 07:59 PM

The socket in my '96 works just fine for my GPS, iPod and Phone.

But, I have heard of others having the same issue you are.
I think they just put a new socket in to make it work. Should be available at just about any auto parts store.

5POINT7 05-31-2010 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4 (Post 1574243935)
The socket in my '96 works just fine for my GPS, iPod and Phone.

But, I have heard of others having the same issue you are.
I think they just put a new socket in to make it work. Should be available at just about any auto parts store.

i havent been able to find the correct socket.. all the auto stores ive looked at have one that says it fits, but it doesnt. i would love to get that fixed just so I can charge things, gps phone etc :cheers: anyone?

GTA8500 05-31-2010 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by 5POINT7 (Post 1574243965)
i havent been able to find the correct socket.. all the auto stores ive looked at have one that says it fits, but it doesnt. i would love to get that fixed just so I can charge things, gps phone etc :cheers: anyone?

So i guess your having the same problem, hopefully we can get this fixed. maybe someone here can point us in the right direction so we can get this fix.

floridamale 05-31-2010 09:30 PM

You need to get a good 12 volt power connector and mount it in a different location, when I added my Garmin I installed a separate connector behind where the bread box pannel was. I have a 87 and the lighter connection didnt work well. I used a switched power connection so the socket is not hot all the time.

Yakko 05-31-2010 09:54 PM

Some aftermarket chargers just don't work very well. I'd try another. I have two, one works.

PLRX 05-31-2010 11:34 PM

fuse

Moon86 06-01-2010 05:02 AM

I had the same type of thing happen. Checked voltage on lighter with dvm and had 12 volts. Plugged satellite radio and no go. I kept turning the plug back and forth and it finally took off. No problems since. If you clean the socket up and maybe bend the grounds on the side of the plug out a little I'm sure it will work.
BTW, doesn't anyone wonder why we're still using that antiquated plug? I don't think new cars even come with a cigarette lighter anymore. Just the receptacle.

Moon

j-vette 06-01-2010 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by GTA8500 (Post 1574244257)
So i guess your having the same problem, hopefully we can get this fixed. maybe someone here can point us in the right direction so we can get this fix.

I too have this issue. Lighter heats up yet gps and cell won't charge. As stated, others have installed additional power plugs. Good luck...

:cheers:

markKlein 06-01-2010 09:29 AM

There is wiring for an additional outlet just in front of the console. Your chargers are probably not owrking because their design does not allow them to insert far enough into the socket.

Frizlefrak 06-01-2010 09:58 AM

Mount a secondary socket somewhere inside the car. Alternately, try an extension cord in your factory socket and plug you cell phone into that.

c4cruiser 06-01-2010 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by markKlein (Post 1574247919)
There is wiring for an additional outlet just in front of the console. Your chargers are probably not owrking because their design does not allow them to insert far enough into the socket.

The OP has an 87, the additional wiring didn't show up until a few years after that.

But it is easy to splice in a wire from the existing cig lighter wire to power a connector that will work.