CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Slower Flasher for Sequential Turn Signals (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2665060-slower-flasher-for-sequential-turn-signals.html)

AZ_DSOM 08-22-2010 06:16 PM

Slower Flasher for Sequential Turn Signals

Hi,

Anyone know a part number and a location where I can purchase a slower flasher unit for the turn signals? I purchased a set of sequential turn signals, and would like to get a little more separation between the flashes.

While I'm at it, anyone have a "trick" to remove the electrical connectors on the center console? Those things are a PITA, and I'm going to have to remove them to swap out the flasher.

Thanks in advance,
:cheers:

AZ_DSOM 08-24-2010 01:13 AM

ttt

bolivar 08-24-2010 01:22 AM

Is there a flasher? I thought it was controlled by one of the computers.

j_digi454 08-24-2010 01:31 AM

As far as I'm aware, there is no flasher unit for the turn signals on C6's. The flashing rate is determined by the computer. I have no idea on how you would be able to change this rate (except for hyper flash when one of the bulbs is burnt out or they are replaced with LED bulbs with no load resistor).

The only flasher unit that can be accessed by removing the console bezel is the 4 way emergency flasher which has nothing to do with the turn signals.

I have the sequential turn signals module installed. Slowing down the overall flash rate (if that were possible) will not change the time between the two tail lights that are sequenced. That is determined by the sequential module itself.

I replaced the tail light bulbs on my sequential setup with LED bulb replacements and used a load resistor to keep the flash rate the same and prevent hyper flash. Because LED's come on at a much faster rate, the look of the sequential tail lights was greatly enhanced. Hope this helps.

C8-Vette 08-24-2010 07:19 AM

Check with the company where you purchased the units, they may have some ideas.

CLICON6 08-25-2010 10:33 PM

I am having the same problem with my new LED tail lights. Mid America says the LEDs may need a flasher, which I purchased but do not know where to install it! I may need to purchase 2, one for eash side...
I just sent Mid America an email asking them the same questions.

CJ1957 09-02-2010 02:03 PM

Maybe a solution?

I think you just need to add a 6 ohm/25 watt load equalizer to stop the "hyper" flash.

When I installed my front switchback blinkers they originally had the hyper flash, I added to the power wire and in-line 6 ohm load equalizer and they blinked normal.

I recently added the rear sequentials and the hyper flash is back and only one light blinks on each side instead of both. So I ordered 2 more load equalizers and will add them to the rears sequential and hopefully the hyper flash is gone.

I bought them here:http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm

AZ_DSOM 09-03-2010 12:27 AM

Cool, that's for the info CJ1957! Please post back and let me know how it turns out, another friend and I have mouse ready to hit the "send" button for the equalizers...

:thumbs:

CLICON6 09-03-2010 11:11 AM

Rapid LED Turn Signal Fix

I finally got a reply from Mid America. They said the flasher they sold me, which was recommended right below the LED tail lights :nono:, :banghead:, will not work on C6s because they do not have turn signal flashers. Just like what was said above!

I asked my son, who works for Charlie at RPM Motors, for his recommendation. He said the exact same thing about adding the resistors. I guess I should have asked him first...but kids don't know what they are talking about...right?...;). He said I could get them at PEP Boys and most likely 4 will be needed - one for each tail light.

Looks like the investment of sending him to UTI is starting to pay off!

Well I know what I am doing this weekend!

AZ_DSOM 09-03-2010 10:11 PM

It’d be much appreciated if you could post pics of your install…esp. since it’s a long weekend, and I might be able to get it do too!

BTW...looks like $$$ well spent!!

CLICON6 09-05-2010 12:46 PM

Went to PEP Boys, Radio Shack and checked on line at Frys. I could not find 6 ohm, 25 watt resistors. I guess I will need to purchase on line...oh well...

NORTY 09-05-2010 12:55 PM

My sequentials have been on for over 4 years. I would have liked a slight increase in the interval also but I seriously don't care, as long as they work.

Knob Jockey 09-05-2010 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by CLICON6 (Post 1575230868)
Went to PEP Boys, Radio Shack and checked on line at Frys. I could not find 6 ohm, 25 watt resistors. I guess I will need to purchase on line...oh well...

Check out V-LED's online.

Their resistors have finned aluminum heat sinks and they sell an aluminum mounting plate that also aids in cooling.

Any resistor installed on the turn signals is going to get very hot when you have your brakes on for any length of time, like being stuck in traffic.

Gromit3860 09-09-2010 01:37 PM

If the computer operates the turn signal lamps in the C6, what makes the "clink clink" sound when a signal is actiated? It sure sounds like a bi-metal flasher!

Gromit3860 09-09-2010 01:42 PM

Here is an extract of some information regarding flash rates and driver attention:

"LEDs are being used with increasing frequency in automotive lamps. They offer very long service life, extreme vibration resistance, and can permit considerably shallower packaging compared to most bulb-type assemblies. LEDs also offer a significant safety performance benefit when employed in stop lights, for when power is applied they rise to full intensity approximately 200 milliseconds (0.2 seconds) faster than incandescent bulbs. This fast rise time not only improves the attentional conspicuity of the stop lamp, but also provides following drivers with increased time in which to react to the appearance of the stop lamps."

"A study at Loughborough University in the United Kingdom showed that strobe lighting conveyed a greater sense of urgency to other road users, with the faster the flash the greater urgency, potentially helping to speed the emergency vehicle through traffic. It also concluded that factors such as flash pattern were important, with simultaneously flashing beacons attracting attention far quicker than alternately flashing versions, although this did increase discomfort glare. Unsurprisingly, attention was gained far quicker the higher the intensity of the light was, and the more beacons were present."

So it seems that the faster flash rate taken together with the very fast transition from off to full bright and back off is a good thing!

vettedoogie 09-09-2010 02:13 PM

Wow, never in my life have I thought about how fast or slow my turn signals were. You guys are really into the minutia! :cheers:

Knob Jockey 09-10-2010 07:55 PM

If we install strobe lights in our rear turn signals maybe we can induce seizures in drivers following too close.

I'd like to see the research on that topic.

digbyamb 09-10-2010 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Knob Jockey (Post 1575287156)
If we install strobe lights in our rear turn signals maybe we can induce seizures in drivers following too close.

I'd like to see the research on that topic.

Here you go :rofl:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photosensitive_epilepsy