CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   C4 Wiper Blades (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/2738620-c4-wiper-blades.html)

Phuncky Feel One 12-11-2010 12:53 PM

C4 Wiper Blades

Ok guys, I know wiper blades aren't up there when it comes to working on your car. I hope to save a newbie some time when looking to replace their wiper blades on their C4 without the BS run around. As you know, third time's a charm usually. The first and second time a PepBoys employee gave me their stock wiper blades for my C4 which would hit the hood when wipping (RainX newest blade & Anco). Returned them and went to Advance Auto Parts and their employee gave me the RainX weatherbeater wiper blades (blades themselves were very low profile). I dremeled the plastic clip holding them to the arm even with the blade itself. Now the wipers work 100% better than the stock ones I threw out. :thumbs:

20" Rain Weather Beater wiper blades $11.99 ea at Advance Auto Parts

jhammons01 12-11-2010 12:55 PM

There is a brand called "Exact fit".....get them at Kragen (now O'reilly's)

It will cure your problem and yes they fit just fine under the hood

383vett 12-11-2010 02:19 PM

Simpler solution for my bracket car...no wipers. ;)

overdrawn 12-11-2010 02:43 PM

Wanna hear something funny, I have never turned mine on, don't even know if they work.....:leaving:

383vett 12-11-2010 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by overdrawn (Post 1576184043)
Wanna hear something funny, I have never turned mine on, don't even know if they work.....:leaving:

Vettes aren't supposed to be out in the rain. ;)

mcm95403 12-11-2010 02:58 PM

Since someone else brought up the subject of wipers.........

My drivers side wiper travels so far to the left side that it goes up and over the A-pillar and is taking the black coating off the window trim. About half of the wiper blade is moving off the glass. Is this one of those common 84 problems that was corrected in later years? If so, I'd certainly like to get that fixed since my Vette is an all-weather fighter :D

92WhiteVetteGuy 12-11-2010 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by 383vett (Post 1576184071)
Vettes aren't supposed to be out in the rain. ;)

Hi,
Keep your old wiper arms and pick-up some ANCO Wiper Refills U-20R for ~$5. You can find these at any independent auto parts store. Retailers like Walmart and the auto chains carry only replacement wiper arms/assemblies. The aftermarket arms don't clear the hood.
:cheers::lurk::cheers:

sailorsteve 12-11-2010 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by mcm95403 (Post 1576184139)
Since someone else brought up the subject of wipers.........

My drivers side wiper travels so far to the left side that it goes up and over the A-pillar and is taking the black coating off the window trim. About half of the wiper blade is moving off the glass. Is this one of those common 84 problems that was corrected in later years? If so, I'd certainly like to get that fixed since my Vette is an all-weather fighter :D

This is adjustable, refer to your FSM.

383vett 12-11-2010 03:26 PM

I always thought the fiberglass resin Vettes are made of dissolve in the rain.

HlhnEast 12-12-2010 06:27 AM

Marc, I think there are adjustments but kinda sounds like either your blade assembly is not sitting right on the pivot or your linkages under the cowl are worn out and sloppy. You might try marking the arm assembly and a reference point on the cowl with a fine point and rotate it clockwise a spline or two. The assembly has a clip at the pivot that needs to be slid a little and then pry gently to pop it off. If it aint too corroded it may come off pretty easy. If not a straight claw hammer under the assembly at the pivot generally works. Be careful with it.

Good luck!

larry93lt1 12-12-2010 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by 383vett (Post 1576184334)
I always thought the fiberglass resin Vettes are made of dissolve in the rain.

Only the '83's were made of the water soluble resin that's why they are so hard to find. :willy::willy:

mseven 12-12-2010 08:28 AM

mine will melt ..or so I'm told, wasn't that an option in 90?
The only time I even tried mine is when I bought the car in 04. I'm with the wiper delete plan and some rain x on the glass, however keeping the arms on the car makes it street legal in MI.

sailorsteve 12-12-2010 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by HlhnEast (Post 1576189344)
Marc, I think there are adjustments but kinda sounds like either your blade assembly is not sitting right on the pivot or your linkages under the cowl are worn out and sloppy. You might try marking the arm assembly and a reference point on the cowl with a fine point and rotate it clockwise a spline or two. The assembly has a clip at the pivot that needs to be slid a little and then pry gently to pop it off. If it aint too corroded it may come off pretty easy. If not a straight claw hammer under the assembly at the pivot generally works. Be careful with it.

Good luck!

I don't know if the arms are the same for all C4's, but on my car they only go on one way, so you can't move them to a different location like you could on older cars.

Geardo 12-12-2010 10:19 AM

They tried to sell me some fancy blades at Autozone, told them they wouldn't fit on the Vette, bought some RainX, they fit and work great, no mods needed.

VikingTrad3r 09-11-2014 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Geardo (Post 1576190620)
They tried to sell me some fancy blades at Autozone, told them they wouldn't fit on the Vette, bought some RainX, they fit and work great, no mods needed.

Confirming on 87 coupe rainx weather beater from walmart in canada work as direct replacement. i got 19's. looks like i should have got 20's from above comments. tossed old rusted ones out.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...c4b7c40d26.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...1cfc1c2c91.jpg

playsdixie 09-11-2014 02:39 PM

you know this thread's 4 years old???:D

HAD2HAV2 09-11-2014 03:17 PM

I’m glad the thread popped up because I am going to pick some wiper blades up today for my 88 and 2 other vehicles.