CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Tires - Kumho (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2748675-tires-kumho.html)

Testshot2005 12-29-2010 07:15 AM

Tires - Kumho

I'm looking for some infomation on Kumho tires - has anyone run them on there Vette - are they nosiy like a goodyear ?

Thanks

Wass 12-29-2010 08:52 AM

I ran with the Kuhmo Ecsta a few years ago. They were quieter than the OEM tires. Not a bad tire for the money. However, there are different Kuhmo tire designs than the Ecsta, and I'm not familiar with all of them. Lots of different opinions here on tires. I'm on my second set of Nitto Invo tires now with 80K on my C6.

KWC6 12-29-2010 08:57 AM

I had them on my c5. For the money they were ok. The difference I think was the sidewalks were not as good as the stock goodyears. On my c6 I have michelins and really like them. Well worth the extra $ investment, especially on a vette.

Testshot2005 12-29-2010 08:58 AM

Tire

Thanks for the reply - I'm also considering the Firestome Wide Oval - I don't drive the car hard enough to warrant the super soft tires - I just want the ride and nosie to be better than these sorry Goodyears.

timd38 12-29-2010 08:58 AM

Go to Tire Rack and look at the reviews.

Testshot2005 12-29-2010 09:07 AM

I did check there ,seems like almost any tire beats GY on noise.

Testshot2005 12-29-2010 10:53 AM

Thanks

Thanks for the info, great info for us buyers

goatts 12-29-2010 11:09 AM

I had Kumhos on my C6 and I autocrossed with them. Good tires. You have a noisy high perf sports car. All tires will be noisy.

jdgun_0013 12-29-2010 11:45 AM

Have run KUMHO's on my C5 & C6 and they are good tires for the money as mentioned and depedning on the model you run is how the sound will be.
All season ASX were not tobad on noise but once you start hitting up some turns they let you know what their doing for sure with NOISE.

Supercrewbear 12-29-2010 11:55 AM

I was looking at the Kuhmo Ecsta to replace the original GY on my '10 GS -- they don't make anything to replace the rear tires (size) according to their website... :(

:flag:

rothchilds 12-29-2010 01:33 PM

I ran Kuhmo's and the I ran Firestone's. Even though the firestone was run flat and thus a little stiffer, I liked it better. The Kuhmo's were good for the money, but seemed to wear out a little to fast for my taste.

And you are right, anything is quieter than the goodyears

Sunnyvale Dave 12-29-2010 01:42 PM

If you deselect summer tires on the Tire Rack site, you are left with the Continentals and the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP.

Brian2010 12-29-2010 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Supercrewbear (Post 1576352848)
I was looking at the Kuhmo Ecsta to replace the original GY on my '10 GS -- they don't make anything to replace the rear tires (size) according to their website... :(

:flag:

The grand sport rears will cut into your selections grately try nitto invos.

goatts 12-29-2010 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by rothchilds (Post 1576353928)
I ran Kuhmo's and the I ran Firestone's. Even though the firestone was run flat and thus a little stiffer, I liked it better. The Kuhmo's were good for the money, but seemed to wear out a little to fast for my taste.

And you are right, anything is quieter than the goodyears

This is bogus information. I get tired of hearing it repeated on the forum. Read the actual data for yourself:

http://www.corvettefever.com/techart...son/index.html

Testshot2005 12-29-2010 06:01 PM

Tires

Originally Posted by goatts (Post 1576352329)
I had Kumhos on my C6 and I autocrossed with them. Good tires. You have a noisy high perf sports car. All tires will be noisy.

The car is a high perf car, but there is a big difference in tires and nosie is one of them.

Wass 12-29-2010 06:56 PM

I just read the link for Corvette Fever tire tests, and thanks for posting it. :cheers: However, they tested new tires. IMHO...OEM RF tires get louder as they wear. So isn't it possible that some tires get louder as they wear, and others don't, or not as much? That's what my ears tell me. The Invo tires I am running with were still quiet down to the wear bars when I replaced them with new Invos. I haven't used OEM RF tires for years, but my recollection is they were quiet when new, but got louder with wear. When I ride in my father's C5 with well worn OEM RF tires, I immediately notice how loud they are compared to my tires. :eek:

goatts 12-29-2010 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Testshot2005 (Post 1576356569)
The car is a high perf car, but there is a big difference in tires and nosie is one of them.

Sorry the facts don't support "nosie". See the link on my post #14, read and learn.

goatts 12-29-2010 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Wass (Post 1576357157)
I just read the link for Corvette Fever tire tests, and thanks for posting it. :cheers: However, they tested new tires. IMHO...OEM RF tires get louder as they wear. So isn't it possible that some tires get louder as they wear, and others don't, or not as much? That's what my ears tell me. The Invo tires I am running with were still quiet down to the wear bars when I replaced them with new Invos. I haven't used OEM RF tires for years, but my recollection is they were quiet when new, but got louder with wear. When I ride in my father's C5 with well worn OEM RF tires, I immediately notice how loud they are compared to my tires. :eek:

Sure, good point. But I think in many cases guys are comparing brand new tires to the old ones they just took off. Doing a test on worn tires would be difficult due to the large number of variables but it would be interesting. My car seems to be loud no matter what I put on it.

joe h 12-29-2010 07:43 PM

I just put the Kumho Ecsta XS 345/30-19 tires on the rear, they're noisier than I expected. Possibly louder than the GY runflats.

That's about all I can comment on as they are new. Oh and they were cheap, brand new from ebay, $600

STLBLUES 12-29-2010 07:59 PM

If you want a quiet tire in the same price range try the Hankook Ventus. I will definately get another set of the v12s when mine wear out.

I had wide ovals and they last forever. The Texas driving experience ran wide ovals on the c5zs because of the life and grip.

I would skip on the Kumho and get one of the above options. Just my opinion from cars I have been in with Kumho tires. Not knocking them at all just prefer the 2 above.

Deep pockets..... get Michelin tires!