CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Rough idle / strong fuel smell (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/2752484-rough-idle-strong-fuel-smell.html)

Huntervangolf 01-04-2011 02:38 PM

Rough idle / strong fuel smell

So its in storage for at least another 3 months but going to start tinkering on it now.
LT4. The last time i drove it went on a weekend drive. It started to idle a little rough, not terrible but noticable. There wasnt any noticable performance loss what so ever while driving. And had a strong fuel smell, especially while standing next to it while it was running. Cant notice any fuel leakage anywhere. And when it is shut off the smell goes away. Also never has left and drippings puddles under car. So? Bad injectors?:bigears

sailorsteve 01-04-2011 03:07 PM

Does your car have a charcoal canister? If so, check the canister and vac lines to it for breaks. I assume you've looked for obvious fuel leaks, etc. Have you scanned for codes?

CanadianC4Vert 01-04-2011 03:34 PM

I had the same symptoms with my L98, pulled the injectors, tested and found three that were leaking. I haven't had a chance to install the new injectors yet, but I am hoping that will do it.:thumbs:

Huntervangolf 01-04-2011 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by sailorsteve (Post 1576414313)
Does your car have a charcoal canister? If so, check the canister and vac lines to it for breaks. I assume you've looked for obvious fuel leaks, etc. Have you scanned for codes?

Actually! Yes the check engine light did come on.

sailorsteve 01-07-2011 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Huntervangolf (Post 1576414967)
Actually! Yes the check engine light did come on.

If the light is on, there are codes stored in the ECM. If you scan for the codes, you will get information on which system needs attention.

Sorry for the delayed response. I have not had a chance to log onto the forum for a few days.

CanadianC4Vert 01-10-2011 10:45 AM

Just a follow up - I installed the new injectors on the weekend. Fired it up, it idles nice and smooth and the gas smell from the exhaust is gone!

socalman 01-10-2011 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by CanadianC4Vert (Post 1576471482)
Just a follow up - I installed the new injectors on the weekend. Fired it up, it idles nice and smooth and the gas smell from the exhaust is gone!

Good to know. I'm having similar issues with no codes, checked all spark and fuel related issues (sensors, fuel filter change, fuel pressure good, fuel regulator good, wiires/plugs changed) and still have the same issue. Have FIC Bosch III injectors on the bench ready to install (with an Opti and WP in the ready if needed)- but hope the Injectors solve the issue.

sailorsteve 01-10-2011 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by CanadianC4Vert (Post 1576471482)

:thumbs:

CanadianC4Vert 01-10-2011 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by socalman (Post 1576471886)
Good to know. I'm having similar issues with no codes, checked all spark and fuel related issues (sensors, fuel filter change, fuel pressure good, fuel regulator good, wiires/plugs changed) and still have the same issue. Have FIC Bosch III injectors on the bench ready to install (with an Opti and WP in the ready if needed)- but hope the Injectors solve the issue.

Bosch III, 22# from FIC:thumbs:

Hopefully that will solve your problems too.