CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   How many and where should ground wires or ground straps be? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/2757068-how-many-and-where-should-ground-wires-or-ground-straps-be.html)

Jack Wood 01-11-2011 11:40 PM

How many and where should ground wires or ground straps be?

Tell me: what are the best or correct locations for ground straps etc. to avoid electrical gremlins? With a used car, the straps are missing, eat up, etc. I want it to be right.

bobs77vet 01-12-2011 01:19 PM

here is what comes to mind without thinking about them on a 77

1: from engine above the strap that holds starter in place to the frame horn by fuel pump

2: front radiator inner core support (drivers side) to headlights loom this is well hidden

3: above starter on trans case for wipers coming from the starter wiring loom

4: from battery to frame behind drivers seat

5: rear area behind the bumpers in the middle of the frame connector above the spare tire carrier

6: at least one in the instrument panel i think it was by the headlight switch

Scott Marzahl 01-12-2011 01:36 PM

Hi Bob, how's that '77 running?

Bob is right on the money, you might want to inspect or install new starter to frame grounds and the battery ground, they tend to corrode inside and not be visible. My local Napa will build up new cables pretty inexpesive and better than off the shelf generic cables.

Alan 71 01-12-2011 01:46 PM

Hi,
My 71 has a long ground-strap from the antenna mount to the frame rail. Was that still around in later years?
Regards,
Alan

Scott Marzahl 01-12-2011 01:50 PM

Good catch Alan, yes from the antenna mounting plate to the frame as well.

bobs77vet 01-12-2011 02:07 PM

Hi Scott life is good and the car is running well, latest tinkering has been fitting a later model dual tunnel cold air intake to the car. it actually makes a noticeable difference. take care bob

noonie 01-12-2011 02:08 PM

Some of the grounds just use sheetmetal screws for attachment which after years are virtually useless. You can thread those and use a real bolt. Copper antisieze or dielectric grease helps against oxidation.

The birdcage groundstrap is visible after removal of the drivers front splash shield.
Should also be one on the headlite header.
Then interior wiring gets it's ground from the drivers door pillar point above the lower dash. The wire extends from there to the clusters and console.

Redoing all the grounds points is the best place to start for prevention and testing.
I also add a #6 cable form the alternator to the frame directly below.
Extra grounds don't hurt.

Manuel Azevedo 01-12-2011 02:11 PM

Good grounds are a must for good operations of the electrical system on any car, but without everyone trying to come up and list various grounds needed I would suggest one get a copy of the ASM for your given year car and I believe you will find all the grounds as used by the factory and their locations. :flag:

dembo 01-12-2011 03:40 PM

Hey,
In my thread below I tried to take pictures of all the grounds on my 74. Two pictures are missing : the ground strap to the antenna plate and the one on the lh kickpanel for the dash. Hope it helps
Nick
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...r-rebuild.html

Easy Mike 01-12-2011 04:03 PM

In addition to those already mentioned, the main dash harness grounds on the driver's door hinge post.

Purchase the assembly instruction manual (AIM) for your model year. The AIM shows all the straps and grounding points.

:thumbs:

SIXFOOTER 01-12-2011 04:10 PM

Engine bay main harness ground there is a post in the corner of the plenum for the AC, the main harness, blower motor, wiper motor and a braided strap to the upper rear valve cover all go there.

C3batmobile 01-14-2011 11:20 PM

Anyone with more ideas on 'auxilary' grounds

Thanks for all this great info on grounding. I'm planning to check & repair all the ones in the ASM for my '69 Coupe and I'm interested in possibly adding some additional grounds. One side of my gauge cluster metal is broken and I've read where this can affect the ground for the wiper switch. I'm also planning to install a new sound system, so ideas for good grounding of the dash & console will be appreciated.

My voltmeter is showing '0' most of the time, but a slight discharge while driving with the headlights on (more so with the brights on), so I'm also planning to troubleshoot & maybe upgrade my charging system. Any additional ideas on this would be appreciated too.

Sixfooter - thanks for the braided strap from the blower case to the engine. I'm not certain yet but I think my ground that should be on a back mounting bolt for the starter solenoid is instead on the ground on the blower case. Connecting that blower motor ground post to the block would be good for mine even after I am able to get underneath (so far my jack and stands can't get her high enough for me to get under).

Even with just a standard 'rebuilt 350' and a Q-jet, this car is as least as much a blast to drive as I ever imagined (of course). As I learn more about these great cars, I will look for threads where I can be helpful in order to give back for the great information and help I have been finding/receiving on this forum. Everyone's generosity with their knowledge is really a tremendous thing here.

Loving my new 'dream car' - smiling more these days !

:D

foca1 07-20-2015 09:38 PM

not to revive an old thread, but.... need help

just picked up a 1981, and one of the ground wires coming off the battery terminal is snipped.

not the main, thick cable, but the other one. looks like a 8awg or so, black cable. it's molded in with the thicker main black one.

can anyone help me with where that should be terminated, please??

69Vett 07-21-2015 05:42 PM

you should really start a new thread, but since I am here.
I do not know the 81 specifically, but the early
C3 only use the main gnd. cable, no additional smaller gnd. from the factory.

my guess someone replaced the cable and had the extra wire and did not know what to do with it, I would suggest connect it to the metal seat back behind the seats, this is connected to the birdcage and will supply good ground to that interior area.

Note... just because it is black does not always mean it is ground.
make sure it is connected to the negative post.

piste 01-08-2023 09:50 AM

Digging up this old thread for question about ground strap #2 identified in post #2 above, headlamp assembly presumably to rad core support. Reason I am asking...had mechanic remove everything water pump to rad support inclusive. Subsequently I found said ground strap connected to headlamp assembly and other end free...would appear to be original. I find no evidence whatsoever of this strap in any of the following: 1969 AIM, Parts illustration guide, none of the online retailers have anything about it, google searches return little other than breadcrumbs that it does/did exist. Kind of a documentation ghost. Fortunately mine is still there as it would seem to be unobtanium to replace..at least as in original config but any strap could serve the purpose.. And I am sure I can figure out how to attach to core support (assuming that is where it attaches) once that is back in the car. But what gives with this mystery part???? To be clear I am referring to an end-to-end ground strap..not something out of a harness.

interpon 01-08-2023 10:30 AM

I would start a new thread..and any pics you can.
no clue 69 as I don’t see that year but maybe close to this?

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...d39983a54.jpeg

piste 01-08-2023 10:59 AM

Hi,
Thank you for the response. Thought about starting a new thread...and may yet. Guess I was trying to show I am good interweb forum citizen having done my forum searching. Anywho..I have the 12-83 version of that book and examined that page closely. I cannot see/find a ground strap. Several grounds coming out of the forward lamp harness..but not an independent headlamp-to-rad core ground strap. Am I missing it?

interpon 01-08-2023 11:16 AM

#11?

this forum is kind..and it is often easier to have others help with recent data/ topics. Easier to get answer too…without looking through old thread..
somene will chime in on 69..

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...651231dabf.png

vettebuyer6369 01-08-2023 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by piste (Post 1606121199)
Digging up this old thread for question about ground strap #2 identified in post #2 above, headlamp assembly presumably to rad core support. Reason I am asking...had mechanic remove everything water pump to rad support inclusive. Subsequently I found said ground strap connected to headlamp assembly and other end free...would appear to be original. I find no evidence whatsoever of this strap in any of the following: 1969 AIM, Parts illustration guide, none of the online retailers have anything about it, google searches return little other than breadcrumbs that it does/did exist. Kind of a documentation ghost. Fortunately mine is still there as it would seem to be unobtanium to replace..at least as in original config but any strap could serve the purpose.. And I am sure I can figure out how to attach to core support (assuming that is where it attaches) once that is back in the car. But what gives with this mystery part???? To be clear I am referring to an end-to-end ground strap..not something out of a harness.

If you have a new question, tacking it onto the end of an 8 year old thread is not the way to get it seen.

Please start a new thread with a new question.