CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   C6 Corvette Won't Start (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2768323-c6-corvette-wont-start.html)

gunther2000 01-30-2011 08:45 PM

C6 Corvette Won't Start

Hello everyone. I'm looking for some help for my 2005 C6 Z51. The problem is that it doesn't start everytime. I've read some other post with similiar problems, but I can't find anyone who says what the fix was. The clutch is all the way to the floor, the battery has plenty of juice and the FOB is detected. The guages sweep and all light come on, but the engine doesn't turn. I will disconnect the battery for a few seconds, then reconnect it and it starts fine. This is getting old. Has anyone else out there had a similiar problem and found a fix for it? Thanks for the help!

Vette_DD 01-30-2011 09:41 PM

You might think the car battery is okay, but it sounds like it's about to go down for the count. Those are the first symptoms of a dying C6 battery according to what's been posted here many times.

AORoads 01-30-2011 09:47 PM

Jim's correct, and there's more. There is no ONE fix since like anything, it could be one thing on your car, and another thing on another car. You need to look at the most likely culprits, and some that are a bit more unusual or not ordinary.

So, take a look at this thread, too, but don't discount it is your battery.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...t-gremlin.html

gunther2000 01-31-2011 06:39 PM

I was thinking it was the battery at first too. I replaced it 1 1/2 years before I started having problems. I thought I got a bad battery at that time so I brought it into Auto Zone to test it. They tested my old battery and said it was fine, but I know the guy who works there and he gave me a new one anyway. The problem keeps happening. I will drive in the area and when I shut down, I show 14.4 volts on the dash. I'll try starting it two minutes later and I get nothing. I'll disconnect the battery and reconnect it, and the car starts right up and shows 14.4 volts on the display. I'm afraid it could be anything, but I received a great email saying to look at the steering column lock.
We're having an ice storm right now, so it's going to be a while before I can get the car to the dealership. I'll post what they tell me. Thanks for the help and keep posting if you have any other experiences like this!

eboggs_jkvl 01-31-2011 06:41 PM

Look at the battery post connections. Any trace of "green" on them?

Elmer

gunther2000 01-31-2011 07:09 PM

I used a battery cleaner on the terminals and cables when I put the new battery in. It's as clean as I can get it.

Guyver 01-31-2011 07:16 PM

Steering colum lock is my guess also. If u disconnect then reconnect battery, then that shouldnt be the issue. Just saw this problem not long ago and it was the sensor in the colum. Good luck

StKnoWhere 01-31-2011 07:30 PM

Check the connections at the starter also.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...m-message.html

blwn_08 01-31-2011 07:32 PM

push the clutch in first :rock:

cclive 02-01-2011 12:33 AM

The 14.4 that you are seeing is the system voltage supplied by the alternator...it is not the resting voltage of the battery. When it won't turn over, I would take a voltage meter and check the battery at the terminals. The DIC is no good for this as it only gives a reading when the ignition is on. I agree with the above though, a column lock issue is a very good possibility also. There is the starter relay in the underhood fuse box that you might pull and clean the terminals too.:thumbs:

bigred6906 02-01-2011 02:57 AM

Brother, this happened to me and I had my car sent to the dealer on a flatbed. It was a loose starter plug. The tech (good friend of mine) fixed it in a minute. He just tightened the plug back up and I've never had another issue.

tt3000gt 02-01-2011 03:07 AM

Same thing happens to my 05, I have to disconnect the battery and reconnect it and it starts up right away.. But I have to do this at least once every 2 days. Never had time to get it fixed, but if it is as simple as getting a starer plug tightened, then I'm going to dealership tomo! I've always just assumed it was something much more serious

bigred6906 02-01-2011 03:29 AM

symptoms: Gauges swept, lights turned on but then nothing more would happen. At that point, if I pressed the start button again, everything would shut off. This cycle continued over and over.

haljensen 02-01-2011 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by bigred6906 (Post 1576670840)
Brother, this happened to me and I had my car sent to the dealer on a flatbed. It was a loose starter plug. The tech (good friend of mine) fixed it in a minute. He just tightened the plug back up and I've never had another issue.

What is a "starter plug"?

cclive 02-01-2011 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by haljensen (Post 1576671788)

:iagree: My first question when I read that...:lurk:

ABQ C6 02-01-2011 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by bigred6906 (Post 1576670875)
symptoms: Gauges swept, lights turned on but then nothing more would happen. At that point, if I pressed the start button again, everything would shut off. This cycle continued over and over.

I had the same symptoms. It would eventually start sometimes it took 10-15 pushes on the start button. Dealer said they found a short in the wiring harness from the battery to the starter after they replaced the alternator twice. Gotta love electrical problems.

gunther2000 02-01-2011 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by ABQ C6 (Post 1576674503)
I had the same symptoms. It would eventually start sometimes it took 10-15 pushes on the start button. Dealer said they found a short in the wiring harness from the battery to the starter after they replaced the alternator twice. Gotta love electrical problems.

Thanks for the hint. I usually quit pushing the button after 5 tries. I'll try pushing the button more next time this happens and see how that works. I am getting very tired of disconnecting the battery and reindexing my windows.

bigred6906 02-01-2011 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by haljensen (Post 1576671788)

I don't know exactly because I wasn't the one who fixed it, but my tech told me that it was a loose starter plug. I'm assuming it is some connection to or from the starter. He told me it was loose and he tightened it back up in a minute.

Hoonose 02-01-2011 05:47 PM

Also check the battery ground.

king off the hill 02-01-2011 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by gunther2000 (Post 1576675269)
thanks for the hint. I usually quit pushing the button after 5 tries. I'll try pushing the button more next time this happens and see how that works. I am getting very tired of disconnecting the battery and reindexing my windows.

ok here u go .if your batt is 12months old its done in.no iffs or butts thats it.even if u do a load test.2005 working on no 6 i have had them pass but there still no good. Cold weather here. At least 6 months of the year.