CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Mo's Electric Corvette- Lot of Pictures (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/2857006-mos-electric-corvette-lot-of-pictures.html)

3D87C4 10-31-2011 01:39 PM

No apology needed, but the link is a good idea.

Mo_Bandy 11-01-2011 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by hitmanpty (Post 1579098026)
you know what I love to see. a video of this car running.

Here is a link to the car running with the old motor. I just have not had time with the new motor as yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYCu66M-tJM

Do a search on "Wayne Bickley " in your tube there is a walk around an a couple drive. Sorry no tire smoke but even with the 9" motor the car was fairly quick.

Stay tuned,

MO

Mo_Bandy 01-05-2012 11:40 PM

Mo's Electric Corvette MOre updates

Hi Folks,
It has been a while since I have posted any updates...

After installing the new Netgain 11HV I had tested it, put time on it breaking in the brushes, as soon as I put the car on the ground and went to back out of the garage, the motor let out a large bang and that was all she wrote :(

I sent the motor back for repair it was covered under warranty :)

I received the motor and went back to re-installing, and decided to go "OCD" on the motor compartment, I still have to cleanup a little bit of wiring, but that is what a project car is : never finished !!! LOL

Again I re-installed the motor coupler, flywheel, clutch pressure plate, throw out bearing put everything back together, I put the hairball and the DC-DC converter into a electrical box and moved the zilla 2000A controller and the battery charger over the motor using 1.5" aluminum angle iron and lexan to give the car a bit of depth...

I have been slowly stepping up the motor as the brushes are being seated... I'm setting at 310V pack voltage, and pulling 700 amps from the batteries and running the motor at 192 volts and 1200 amps. Or roughly about 280 - 300 HP :)

The car is running quite healthy needless to say! I am now pretty much driving in 2nd and 3rd gear, as expected the car is exhibiting a ton of torque. I'm still dialing thinkgs in as I get better logs I will post some HP torque numbers... but based on my spread starting in 3rd gear I have as much torques as a stock LT1 in first gear.

I have not installed a clutch pedal yet ( was originally an automatic) so I have no clutch to "dump". However I have punched the car which will pin you to the back of the seat quite nicely even though I'm a bit cautious of how the drive train will handle the torque as rear wheels are still the 315/35-17 Goodyear Eagle Ones..

Some pictures to enjoy.... MO

Once I have some time I will post some videos to You tube

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...256430a633.jpg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...a9d2f3a2b8.jpg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...24f15adc08.jpg

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...888598306d.jpg

96GS#007 01-06-2012 01:59 AM

What's your expected range with the new setup, fully broken in?

This is very cool, thanks for sharing! :thumbs:

Mo_Bandy 01-06-2012 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by 96GS#007 (Post 1579658844)
What's your expected range with the new setup, fully broken in?

This is very cool, thanks for sharing! :thumbs:

Hey Jim,
I'm still at about 30 miles, I'm looking into lithiums, which will shed about 300 pounds and almost triple the range range.

Best regards,
MO

shakedown067 01-06-2012 08:37 AM

Way too cool! LOVE seeing the updates. Wish I could turn my truck into a MONSTER electric hauler (bagged C1500), but know it weights too much. Much less no budget for such a conversion. Keep it up Mo...still wish we could find you a sponsor for those lithium batteries!

Mo_Bandy 01-06-2012 09:14 PM

Thanks for the support Shakedown :)

MO

95tripleblack 01-07-2012 12:14 AM

Mo, This is a fantastic Corvette. I love it and wish you good fortune with further upgrades.

A few questions though, how much trouble would it be to put a pressure switch in the brakes and add a controller to the motor to turn it into a generator to do generate power while braking? How much power could be gained? Would this simple approach even work? If not could regenerative braking be done just for the rears and keep the fronts the same for safety? What am I missing? I am sure you have considered something, what are your ideas?

Thanks for all the updates as well.

Frizlefrak 01-07-2012 12:40 AM

Thanks for the update Mo.... :cheers:

You said before the Lithiums were quite spendy. Has the price come down any.....or are they just getting toooooo tempting? :D

I'm still dying to see it in person. Maybe this summer. :cheers:

Mo_Bandy 01-07-2012 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by 95tripleblack (Post 1579667471)
Mo, This is a fantastic Corvette. I love it and wish you good fortune with further upgrades.

A few questions though, how much trouble would it be to put a pressure switch in the brakes and add a controller to the motor to turn it into a generator to do generate power while braking? How much power could be gained? Would this simple approach even work? If not could regenerative braking be done just for the rears and keep the fronts the same for safety? What am I missing? I am sure you have considered something, what are your ideas?

Thanks for all the updates as well.

Yes I've considered regenerative braking, for the cost involved and the return (of probably less than 5% ~guessing~) i felt it to be better to put the money elsewhere.

I live in a pretty flat area, however i could see it very viable in hilly areas where you could recoup more energy . Also very few DC series controllers support regenerative braking, the AC motors / controllers however do support regenerative braking so like anything it depends on where your priorities lie...

Regards,
MO

Mo_Bandy 01-07-2012 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak (Post 1579667599)
Thanks for the update Mo.... :cheers:

You said before the Lithiums were quite spendy. Has the price come down any.....or are they just getting toooooo tempting? :D

I'm still dying to see it in person. Maybe this summer. :cheers:

FRIZLEFRAK!!!
Happy new years!

Well they are dropping to about a buck an amp hour LOL so they are getting pretty close, maybe i can stand on a corner and beg with a sign " will work for lithium batteries" LOL

You have an open invitation to stop by anytime, just let me know and we can make it happen !

If the weather holds maybe i can get some videos up on you tube this weekend ;)

Regards,
MO

popo8 01-07-2012 03:59 AM

Still following this.... any up to date videos, inside and out of the car driving?

Frizlefrak 01-07-2012 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mo_Bandy (Post 1579667974)
" will work for lithium batteries" LOL

:rofl: :rofl:

If you'll build it, I'll help panhandle. :rock:

Can't wait to see some more video. I think about this project a lot and am astonished at how professional your install looks, no less performs. If the factory had built an electric Corvette, this is how it would look.

Still shooting for coming to SoCal sometime in spring or early summer to go on a Bomber Run with PLRX and the SoCal crew. I definitely want to see your car. :cheers:

Mo_Bandy 01-07-2012 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by popo8 (Post 1579668061)
Still following this.... any up to date videos, inside and out of the car driving?

Coming soon, I spent some time today cleaning up the wiring getting ready to shoot some new walk arounds.

So as before I plan more drive by videos as well as some in car and a walk around ;)

Regards,
MO

H P Bushrod 01-07-2012 06:59 PM

:thumbs: Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

lvbg1435 01-24-2012 05:17 AM

how long dos the car drive for be for you have to recharge the car ?

jon1all 01-24-2012 07:48 AM

Geez I can't believe I haven't looked at this thread yet!

I guess I must've thought it was just a thread on the guy with the 87 (which I had seen before). This is soooo dang cool! :cool:

I love Frizlefrak's name suggestion... Corvolt!!!!!!!! LOL!!! You should trademark that name! :)

Mo_Bandy 01-27-2012 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by jon1all (Post 1579820067)
Geez I can't believe I haven't looked at this thread yet!

I guess I must've thought it was just a thread on the guy with the 87 (which I had seen before). This is soooo dang cool! :cool:

I love Frizlefrak's name suggestion... Corvolt!!!!!!!! LOL!!! You should trademark that name! :)

Very Cool name! Yes this is one of 3 in North America that I know of... The 87 is in Minnesota, he beat me by about 6 months of being the first...

So the plan in going lithium's with should put me in the 75 miles or so category, I'm still at about 30 miles but a whole lot more oooomph :D

Regards,
MO

pmihaltian 01-27-2012 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mo_Bandy (Post 1579849833)
Very Cool name! Yes this is one of 3 in North America that I know of... The 87 is in Minnesota, he beat me by about 6 months of being the first...

So the plan in going lithium's with should put me in the 75 miles or so category, I'm still at about 30 miles but a whole lot more oooomph :D

Regards,
MO

Wow ! What a project :thumbs: YOU are a fine engineer, Mo. :cheers:

Mo_Bandy 01-27-2012 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by pmihaltian (Post 1579850130)
Wow ! What a project :thumbs: YOU are a fine engineer, Mo. :cheers:

Bows~ Thank you sir...