CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   1966 flashing dash lights (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2864562-1966-flashing-dash-lights.html)

66L72 06-29-2011 04:02 PM

1966 flashing dash lights

I can't find my AIM and I want to replace the bulbs that flash when they heat up for the headlight and park brake warning.

Does anybody have easy access to the bulb number......... would my local NAPA be likely to stock?

:cheers:

Nowhere Man 06-29-2011 04:12 PM

bulb number 257. only the brake warning light should flash, the high beam is a standard bukb

66L72 06-29-2011 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man (Post 1578007476)
bulb number 257. only the brake warning light should flash, the high beam is a standard bukb

many thanks
i meant the warning light that the lights hadnt been rotated to open position....... apparantly it is supposed to flash as well.

thanks
bob

Nowhere Man 06-29-2011 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by 66L72 (Post 1578007578)
many thanks
i meant the warning light that the lights hadnt been rotated to open position....... apparantly it is supposed to flash as well.

thanks
bob

unless 66 is different then 67 only one light flashes and its the brake light. but I don't have a judging manual or a owners manual for a 66 to confirm:cheers:

stingrayl76 06-29-2011 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man (Post 1578007948)
unless 66 is different then 67 only one light flashes and its the brake light. but I don't have a judging manual or a owners manual for a 66 to confirm:cheers:

63 thru 66 both the headlight and parking brake warning lights flash. Both use the 257 bulb.

Dennis Beck 06-29-2011 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by 66L72 (Post 1578007388)
I can't find my AIM and I want to replace the bulbs that flash when they heat up for the headlight and park brake warning.

Does anybody have easy access to the bulb number......... would my local NAPA be likely to stock?

If you can't locate 2 in your area I have several xtras and could send you a couple.:thumbs:

Dennis

Nowhere Man 06-29-2011 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by stingrayl76 (Post 1578008428)
63 thru 66 both the headlight and parking brake warning lights flash. Both use the 257 bulb.

Learn something new

66L72 06-29-2011 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Beck (Post 1578008477)
If you can't locate 2 in your area I have several xtras and could send you a couple.:thumbs:

Dennis

Thanks Dennis

My local NAPA has 6 in stock so I am good to go.......

thanks anyway

postalpete 06-29-2011 07:22 PM

Parking brake and headlight bucket use flashing bulbs and let me know if you can't find any. I got a box of a dozen of US Made bulbs from NAPA ten years ago just in case and can let you have one.
Pete

66L72 06-29-2011 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by postalpete (Post 1578008874)
Parking brake and headlight bucket use flashing bulbs and let me know if you can't find any. I got a box of a dozen of US Made bulbs from NAPA ten years ago just in case and can let you have one.
Pete

many thanks for the offer Pete but my Napa shows they have stock according to the computer........ will know for sure in a few days.

Cheers
Bob

buns 06-29-2011 09:35 PM

If the ones you get from Napa are made "offshore" I would for sure bench test them before installing. I bought 4 of them and only 1 works.

Rubc555 02-16-2017 09:51 PM

Hey Guys
I'm restoring a 66 I just got and found the warning BRAKE LIGHT & LIGHTS bulbs were missing.
I replaced the rest with what came out along with these two .. brake comes on when I pull the EM brake but...
For the life of me I can't get the LIGHT warning to come on ... Is this light telling me the head lamps have not been raised to the upright position ? I tried this nothing lit up.
Could it be I installed the wrong bulb..?
What is the function of this light.. that the lamps are off or the

Velox 02-17-2017 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rubc555 (Post 1594110825)
I tried this nothing lit up. What is the function of this light..

The headlamp warning lamp flashes IF the headlights are turned on but the buckets are not rotated to the full open position. There are microswitches on both headlight buckets that close when buckets are fully open, if switches are not closed the flashing LIGHT lamp will remain on. If you turn on your headlights with the buckets closed the lamp should flash. If it doesn't the bulb is bad/socket is bad/wiring is bad/switches are not wired etc. :cheers:

65GGvert 02-17-2017 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Rubc555 (Post 1594110825)
Hey Guys
I'm restoring a 66 I just got and found the warning BRAKE LIGHT & LIGHTS bulbs were missing.
I replaced the rest with what came out along with these two .. brake comes on when I pull the EM brake but...
For the life of me I can't get the LIGHT warning to come on ... Is this light telling me the head lamps have not been raised to the upright position ? I tried this nothing lit up.
Could it be I installed the wrong bulb..?
What is the function of this light.. that the lamps are off or the

There's a tell tale switch on each bucket with a black wire that runs to the ground on the radiator support. When either of the buckets are not in the FULLY up position and the headlights on, the switches ground the lead to the flashing bulb (which has 12v applied to the other side when you turn the lights on) completing the circuit and will flash after a few seconds. If both the headlights are FULLY up, both switches will be in the open position and remove the ground and the flashing light will not illuminate.
The 12v feeds to the switch on the gray/black wire and runs from one switch to the other, so check for the voltage there and then check the black ground wires. It's fairly common for those wires to pull off the spade connectors on the switches and they're not easy to get to.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...ebdfe5af87.jpg

65GGvert 02-17-2017 09:17 AM

Here's a picture one of the telltale switches (sometimes called a limit switch, but it doesn't limit anything) on the car. The spade lug on each end should have the wires I described earlier.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...071a713e89.jpg

Rubc555 02-17-2017 02:05 PM

Hey I have to thank you so much for your time .. WOW
I installed the 257 bulb and ran the lights open close nothing yet but I got a directions my friend . Got this car 66 last month was a frame off restore finding issues with the lights and instrument panel lighting changed all the bulbs wow what a task I'm 6-6 so I'm hampered
Good thing I got a little girl friend.. we got them all working now one extra socket above ignition and no opening can be seen I cant see what this might go .. this is excluding the two for the clock .. it has a gray wire silver socket any idea ?

Velox 02-17-2017 02:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Rubc555 (Post 1594115079)
...now one extra socket above ignition and no opening can be seen I cant see what this might go .. this is excluding the two for the clock .. it has a gray wire silver socket any idea ?

Probably the ignition light. There is a light that inserts into the ignition switch housing which illuminates the key area, if you have a replaced or after market ignition switch it may not be there. Take a look at the back of your ignition switch (see photo) and you will probably see the opening where the socket goes. You may have to unclip the ignition switch wiring connector to see there :cheers:

Attachment 48064800

Gary's '66 02-17-2017 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by 66L72 (Post 1578009467)
many thanks for the offer Pete but my Napa shows they have stock according to the computer........ will know for sure in a few days.

Cheers
Bob

:iagree: with buns. I strongly suggest that you test those bulbs prior to installation. I purchased a couple of them from my local NAPA last year. The counter parts guy ASSURED me they were the proper blinking bulbs. WRONG! :toetap:

Fortunately, I hadn't replaced the cluster yet and was able to find some at a local shop that specializes in older GM parts who sold me the correct ones.

Gary

Rubc555 02-17-2017 04:04 PM

Hey thanks a bunch guys. Felix you was right one wire was not hooked up.
Was not easy to see or get connected using a mirror and a flashlight but I Gotter .
Both brake and light warning indicator do flash Wooooo Hoooo my friends
I looked at the ignition and I do see your whole not typical of others but a hole.
Last bug I hope till I reinstall the steering column .
Thing is whoever did the frame restoration must've been in a hurry they installed a new radiator didn't bother to put the horns in on or plug anything in the problem with
This was I'm trying to but it all pieces of the puzzle to get this thing back .
I can't thank you guys enough you guys are amazing information on this site is awesome this is my first c 2 so it is a challenge for sure ..

Rubc555 02-17-2017 04:20 PM

Hey Gary. Yeah I hear that my dash is still out so I'm checking and rechecking and then again before I but it back.. Next bug I got is the windshield pump not working got the rebuild kit today so wish me luck.. Thanks Again All