CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Door Lock Problems - Actuator or Relay? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2869145-door-lock-problems-actuator-or-relay.html)

fastone88 07-07-2011 09:24 AM

Door Lock Problems - Actuator or Relay?

I have a 1998 Corvette. The passenger side door lock locks properly, but does not unlock when using the fob or pressing the door button. I am guessing that I need to replace the door lock actuator, but reading the forum it seems that relays are a common problem. I do not hear the faint clicking noise that others are describing with relay problems, so I still think it might be the actuator. The door locks every time, but it does not unlock. What do you guys think? Is it a bad actuator or bad relay? Thanks for your help. I have to remove the door panel to fix a floppy mirror problem, so now is the time to fix the door lock.:confused2:

DeeGee 07-07-2011 10:30 AM

The relay is most common. A dealer would just replace the whole module but Bakersfield's thread is the best How To out there.

RetiredSFC 97 07-07-2011 11:59 AM

I have to ask.

Are you presssing the unlock button twice? Also insert your key into the drivers door and unlock it, then turn the key again to unlock the pass door. If it won't unlock in either of these two ways it's something with your door switch. IMO

Someone else may have your answer on that.

Edit I see now it doesn't unlock when pressing the unlock button inside either. Sorry for wasting your time!

02koolC5 07-07-2011 10:22 PM

You could swap the modules, if it doesn't work then it could be actuator....

fastone88 07-09-2011 02:04 PM

Going to try to replace middle relay

DeeGee,

I think I will try to replace the relay myself. I am guessing the the middle relay that unlocks is bad. The lock does unlock sometimes (maybe once every 30 times the button is pushed). Do you happen to have a copy of Bakerfield's post?

02KoolC5,

Trying to use the driver's door module to test the passenger side door module is a great idea. However, I don't want to remove the driver's door panel unless I have to.

Does anyone know a good place to buy door lock relays? Are the quality of some relays better than others?

Chris Stewart 07-09-2011 02:25 PM

I got the JSM1-12V-5 from digi-key. Ordered 5 and only have 2 left. These are good to have around. :thumbs:

DeeGee 07-09-2011 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by fastone88 (Post 1578088219)
DeeGee,

I think I will try to replace the relay myself. I am guessing the the middle relay that unlocks is bad. The lock does unlock sometimes (maybe once every 30 times the button is pushed). Do you happen to have a copy of Bakerfield's post?

PM me with your e mail and I'll send it on:thumbs:

fastone88 07-09-2011 08:10 PM

Relays ordered

Thanks Chris. I just ordered 5 relays. :thumbs:

02koolC5 07-09-2011 08:17 PM

yea I didn't do the swap myself for that reason but thought I'd throw it out there here is the how to I used and the vetteessentials.com for panel removeal good luck:cheers:

http://www.ronjpics.com/Corvettestuff.htm

I think quality is about the same I also got mine from digikey

DeeGee 07-10-2011 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart (Post 1578088378)
I got the JSM1-12V-5 from digi-key. Ordered 5 and only have 2 left. These are good to have around. :thumbs:

Thanks for the reference # Chris. My door lock module is starting to go bad again. I checked and I found a supplier for that relay here in England. Looks like I have a job to do.

fastone88 07-25-2011 12:28 PM

Update - Problem Fixed!

I was able to remove the old relay and solder a new one onto the circuit board. The unlock relay is the middle one, and I had a heck of a time getting it out. I was using a 15 watt soldering iron, but bought a 40 watt one to get more heat. I have very little soldering/desoldering experience, so I watched I few youtube videos on the subject. I finally got the relay removed, and soldering the new one on was a little easier. I still had trouble getting the solder out of the holes of the circuit board so that I could install the new one. I tried using the copper ribbon and a vacuum tool, but that solder was still hard to remove. I ended up heating each area and pushing the relay to get it installed. Once in position, I soldered each of the five pins.

I plugged the repaired door module back in, and the unlock button now works! It was a bad relay after all. Thanks for all the advice I got on the forum! This saved me a lot of money. I would rather pay $1.67 for a relay than buy an entire door module or replace a perfectly good door lock actuator. If I can do this repair, anyone could! :thumbs:

DeeGee 07-25-2011 12:59 PM

Great job:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

My turn next. I have the relays ready to go.

goober51 11-27-2011 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by DeeGee (Post 1578227828)
Great job:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

My turn next. I have the relays ready to go.

:lurk: Just curious..how did that relay replacement work out for u dee gee? I have the same problem now..thks :ack:

goober51 11-27-2011 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by fastone88 (Post 1578227555)
I was able to remove the old relay and solder a new one onto the circuit board. The unlock relay is the middle one, and I had a heck of a time getting it out. I was using a 15 watt soldering iron, but bought a 40 watt one to get more heat. I have very little soldering/desoldering experience, so I watched I few youtube videos on the subject. I finally got the relay removed, and soldering the new one on was a little easier. I still had trouble getting the solder out of the holes of the circuit board so that I could install the new one. I tried using the copper ribbon and a vacuum tool, but that solder was still hard to remove. I ended up heating each area and pushing the relay to get it installed. Once in position, I soldered each of the five pins.

I plugged the repaired door module back in, and the unlock button now works! It was a bad relay after all. Thanks for all the advice I got on the forum! This saved me a lot of money. I would rather pay $1.67 for a relay than buy an entire door module or replace a perfectly good door lock actuator. If I can do this repair, anyone could! :thumbs:

ok; I'll tk your word for it. :thumbs: I am going to try it..mine just went bad the other day..

DeeGee 11-28-2011 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by goober51 (Post 1579327420)
:lurk: Just curious..how did that relay replacement work out for u dee gee? I have the same problem now..thks :ack:

I've been practicing my soldering skills:D

It hasn't reached the top of the Honeydoo List yet:lol:

A friend here in UK also has the problem so he's going to help out when we get round to it. I have another friend who's an electronics guru so I may invite him along too and make it a door module party.:lol:

Macleod52 02-07-2014 02:52 AM

Can the same relay be used for the door locks and windows? I thought they were the same but in one of the threads it looks like they are different part numbers.

goober51 02-07-2014 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Macleod52 (Post 1586111765)
Can the same relay be used for the door locks and windows? I thought they were the same but in one of the threads it looks like they are different part numbers.

I thought they were the same. I thought i read that somewhere when i dealt with this prob.

92GA 02-07-2014 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Macleod52 (Post 1586111765)

I just had one of the electronic techs at work replace the relays in one of mine. There were 4 relays with 3 different part numbers. I bought them from digi-key last year. You have to open up the module to get the part numbers unless somebody on here has those numbers.

Cubman 02-07-2014 12:48 PM

Mine was the unlock relay( JSM1-12V-5 ), $1.50 at digkey as stated above.

Southerncol 02-15-2014 03:20 PM

Actuator or Relay

My driver side door panel lock/unlock buttons will open the door locks, however, to lock the doors (pushing the buttons to lock), nothing.....this been going on for a month...I do not have a FOB, so upon exit I usually hit the "lock" button, hear the actuator, and it use to work....not anymore....
I bought a LCDM off E Bay, $45, rather than spend $80 for all the soldering stuff needed, just installed it, and it did not fix the problem....
Now, if an actuator goes bad, can it still work to open the lock and not function to close or lock the door?....The passenger sides door control work for both (locks and unlocks) so that tells me my actuator is ok, correct?....Now, could there be a wire going bad?...Could I have two bad relays, my box and the new/used box too?...Damn