CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Cars (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars-24/)
-   -   where is the best place to sell a expensive car? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars/2870275-where-is-the-best-place-to-sell-a-expensive-car.html)

x-mann 07-09-2011 12:18 AM

where is the best place to sell a expensive car?

I have been tasked to sell 2 cars for a close friend. They are high end Mercedes, one is a SL55 AMG Brabus K8. its a 2003 w/ about 25k miles, loaded and in pristine condition. It has about 560 hp, 615lbs tq.

the second car is a 2005 CL65 AMG which was sent to Brabus and had about $40k worth of upgrades. This one is also low milage perfect condition, loaded and has over 700hp. Brabus would not dyno it because they say the transmission on the V12's does not do well on the dyno.

I wasn't sure if EBAY or Dupont Registry would be the right forum.

opinions welcome, i will have pics, build sheets and prices next week.

thanks

C4RACER 07-09-2011 02:15 AM

6-8 year old high end modified german muscle cars are probably not worth what the owners hope they are worth....

That said, I have found specialty forums to be a good avenue to sell a specialty car, but then again don't rule out the old standbys Craigslist and Autotrader.

I am not at all a fan of selling a car on Ebay, although I have sold a few classic cars that way. Look for an AMG forum - maybe even benzworld is the best one, I'm not sure.

Good luck, but be realistic that the car with $40K in extras is probably worth less than a purely stock one of same age / miles. Or best case about the same. And high end 5-8 year old German cars out of warrantee are just not worth all that much as a percentage of their original prices. They can be great buys, but it's tough for sellers that bought them way up in the depreciation curve, because it's a steep and ugly curve for sure.

thattexaskid19 07-09-2011 02:42 AM

try ELIXIO if its really high end?

Xedes 07-09-2011 02:55 AM

I've know people that sold highly modified cars with Dupont registry that would have normally never even gotten close to what they wanted locally. Both cars were sold and exported to Dubai.

Or you can try to sell them on cosignment with a local MB dealership. This way allows people to get financing through the dealership.

Ketchum 07-09-2011 03:05 AM

Age of the vehicle is a criteria for financing. I think over 6 years old it gets tough.

WMark 07-09-2011 03:07 AM

Help me here... My browser must be acting up. Isn't this the C6 General forum? I'm on a Mercedes site? :crazy:

Blaq Ops 07-09-2011 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by WMark (Post 1578085455)
Help me here... My browser must be acting up. Isn't this the C6 General forum? I'm on a Mercedes site? :crazy:

:rofl:

Torchsport 07-09-2011 08:08 AM

Click Fail!!:mad:

mikez51c6 07-09-2011 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by WMark (Post 1578085455)

:iagree::leaving:

Kevin_NYC 07-09-2011 09:19 AM

James list, or contact auto brokers

dvilin 07-09-2011 09:21 AM

Ebay.

Thrash 07-09-2011 11:26 AM

Monaco ...

gilly6993 07-09-2011 12:19 PM

What are the owners hoping to get?

Broski 07-09-2011 06:29 PM

I've got to agree with the first post. One of my fathers friends buys tons of high end/ exotic cars for a living basically. I believe he uses a lot of the same things most everyone else does. If he really wants to sell them, he'll just need to be realistic about his pricing. However, if he doesn't care, and has time, there is a chance he'll come across the right buyer. I've got a 79 Z-28 I'm going to try and sell. Probably close to 20k restoring it. But I've got to be realistic, and am probably going to take a 5k or so hit.

x-mann 07-09-2011 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by gilly6993 (Post 1578087533)
What are the owners hoping to get?

i just spoke w/ the owners. hes offering a package price right now. wants to sell both cars for $100,000.00, these cars originally w/ both over 200k/each. i know for a fact in 2005 he spent 225,000.00 on the cl alone.

I understand there value drops quite a bit. But what these cars are and the awesome condition they are in the are a great deal.

If split up, i would guess the sl55amg brabus would sell for around high 30's low 40's. and the cl65 brabus would be in the 60's.

i have not gotten the final details on each car other than mileage, year, one owner, meticulously taken care of by. all maintenance done at a local MB dealer. service records are all traceable.

any further questions please contact me via email complt1@sbcglobal.net.

like i said, i can have all pics, price, and further info next week

vetteship 07-10-2011 12:39 AM

Same places where you can sell non-expensive cars... Don't expect much on the re-sale of modded MB sedans. Let's face it, the majority of the crowd that desire these cars are not much into modded cars. Good luck with the sale.

Caeruleus Diabolus 07-12-2011 11:05 AM

As mentioned already good bets would be Benzworld.org, craigslist, perhaps even autotrader if someone rich is combing through there for a older benz.

That is going to be a tough sale for the money no matter where you put it. The values of even the high end Mercedes plummet unlike any other... Most Mercedes-Benz buyers with that kind of money would be buying the new models these days.

Good luck though :thumbs:

Dueysan 07-12-2011 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Xedes (Post 1578085438)
I've know people that sold highly modified cars with Dupont registry that would have normally never even gotten close to what they wanted locally. Both cars were sold and exported to Dubai.

Or you can try to sell them on cosignment with a local MB dealership. This way allows people to get financing through the dealership.

I was jokingly going to say Dubai....and then here you go and post this! :rofl:

Mopar Jimmy 07-12-2011 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by C4RACER (Post 1578085344)
6-8 year old high end modified german muscle cars are probably not worth what the owners hope they are worth....

That said, I have found specialty forums to be a good avenue to sell a specialty car, but then again don't rule out the old standbys Craigslist and Autotrader.

I am not at all a fan of selling a car on Ebay, although I have sold a few classic cars that way. Look for an AMG forum - maybe even benzworld is the best one, I'm not sure.

Good luck, but be realistic that the car with $40K in extras is probably worth less than a purely stock one of same age / miles. Or best case about the same. And high end 5-8 year old German cars out of warrantee are just not worth all that much as a percentage of their original prices. They can be great buys, but it's tough for sellers that bought them way up in the depreciation curve, because it's a steep and ugly curve for sure.

:iagree: And you would be SURPRISED the cars I have sold on Craigslist. The last 2 high performance (over 700 HP each) vette and 71 Camaro I sold, took several months to sell, then as soon as they hit Craiglist they sold ASAP. Both REAL TUFF cars to sell.

You have nothing to lose as Craigslist is free. Put in up in the biggest City also closest to you and you may be pleasantly surprised. :cheers:

Ketchum 07-12-2011 06:10 PM

Change the ads around so Craigs list won't kick back and run them in several big citys in different states.