CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   vettaid dash kit? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/2870656-vettaid-dash-kit.html)

ironvapor 07-09-2011 05:08 PM

vettaid dash kit?

Could those members who installed Vettaids gauge kit on their C-4s give an update on how the units are working out? The digital dash on my 89 finally gave out and I am trying to decide whether to repair it or replace it. Thanks in advance

856SPEED 07-10-2011 10:08 AM

fine piece....have one installed in my 85....much better (for me and my car's build style)......however I have a couple of issues:

speedo jumps around at low speeds; over 40 OK....they sent me a new speedo.....same thing......they are telling me it may have something to do with my speedo gear or speed sensor......it could be on my end....don't know for sure yet.......

light doesn't work on my water temp. gauge (dash light)......don't know what happened there?? they sent me a new one though......have not installed it yet.....just can't see it in night driving right now....

the high beam indicator light in the middle of the dash is very, very, very, bright blue, blinding the driver.......they sent me a dimmer switch or something to install to bring down the brightness level......have not done that yet either.....

the fit and finish is nice......I like the white face Auto Meters (that's the option I went to), so that alone is great and the tach is a HUGE improvement over stock....don't need a 10,000 RPM limit tach, but hey, it works great and looks great!!

Jims1988C4 07-10-2011 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by 856SPEED (Post 1578093558)
fine piece....have one installed in my 85....much better (for me and my car's build style)......however I have a couple of issues:

speedo jumps around at low speeds; over 40 OK....they sent me a new speedo.....same thing......they are telling me it may have something to do with my speedo gear or speed sensor......it could be on my end....don't know for sure yet.......

light doesn't work on my water temp. gauge (dash light)......don't know what happened there?? they sent me a new one though......have not installed it yet.....just can't see it in night driving right now....

the high beam indicator light in the middle of the dash is very, very, very, bright blue, blinding the driver.......they sent me a dimmer switch or something to install to bring down the brightness level......have not done that yet either.....

the fit and finish is nice......I like the white face Auto Meters (that's the option I went to), so that alone is great and the tach is a HUGE improvement over stock....don't need a 10,000 RPM limit tach, but hey, it works great and looks great!!

Can you post a pic ???

kenv 07-10-2011 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jims1988C4 (Post 1578093585)
Can you post a pic ???

:iagree::lurk:

Calderone 07-10-2011 07:11 PM

pics!

ironvapor 07-10-2011 07:54 PM

pictures and information are available at www.vettaid.com if no one posts them here.

Black89Z51 07-10-2011 08:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I love it. Had to change out 2 sensors. It was basically plug 'n play.

This is in my '89.

The only thing I don't like is the blue high beam indicator. At night it's entirely too bright. And since you're eyes don't dialate to blue light (hence police cars having blue lights) it makes it very annoying. I ended up covering it with electrical tape.

Picture 2 was taken before I switched out the oil pressure and temp sensors. It's a 6 speed too, so the trans temp isn't being used.

oldalaskaman 07-10-2011 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Black89Z51 (Post 1578098016)
I love it. Had to change out 2 sensors. It was basically plug 'n play.

This is in my '89.

The only thing I don't like is the blue high beam indicator. At night it's entirely too bright. And since you're eyes don't dialate to blue light (hence police cars having blue lights) it makes it very annoying. I ended up covering it with electrical tape.

Picture 2 was taken before I switched out the oil pressure and temp sensors. It's a 6 speed too, so the trans temp isn't being used.

is that the final fit around your steering column?

Ray Quayle 07-11-2011 04:49 AM

What do you do for odometer readings when registering these things?

856SPEED 07-11-2011 07:11 AM

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/pict...ictureid=57060

[My steering column looks nothing like the one above! I would have taken it back......

I have posted these pics many times in the past......thought most have seen it.....it's also on my album pics if you want to see other mods.....

856SPEED 07-11-2011 07:13 AM

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/pict...ictureid=57061

another angle...........took the "Vett Aid" logo off mine though......don't want that anymore than space around the steering column........hopefully someone took care of that above......

856SPEED 07-11-2011 07:22 AM

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/pict...ictureid=75914

Here's my car.......(now I need to change the interior to white seats/blue inserts and dark carpet......next project......the interior needs to be addressed.....original stuff in it........(other than the six speed shifter/dash cluster of course)

:cheers:

dclafleur 07-11-2011 07:58 AM

Has anyone used the Dakota digital replacement dash?

Black89Z51 07-11-2011 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman (Post 1578098674)
is that the final fit around your steering column?

Yes. I was a bit disappointed that a piece that cost that much wasn't centered, but about a 1/4"--3/8" offset to the left. Everything else was ok. The vent is a pain in the ass to get in there. I think I had to bend something, but it's been so long since I've installed it.

Black89Z51 07-11-2011 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Quayle (Post 1578100458)
What do you do for odometer readings when registering these things?

I'm not sure there is a way to put the actual miles on the new odometer. I think you would have to call autometer to see if that would be possible.

Ray Quayle 07-11-2011 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Black89Z51 (Post 1578104387)
I'm not sure there is a way to put the actual miles on the new odometer. I think you would have to call autometer to see if that would be possible.

Oh, so the Autometer speedo has a built in odo? It's not just a trip odo? Very cool! Even better if you can set it to actual miles.:thumbs:

Black84 07-11-2011 04:46 PM

I've had mine in for about 800 miles now and am very satisfied with it. My only issue is the bright light indicator... the blue LED provided in the kit is extremely bright. I put a drop of black paint on the top half of the indicator and that helps.

cttech455 08-22-2011 09:11 PM

Its primarily a track car so I never installed the vent
http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/...5/GEDC2315.jpg

Rickc617 01-23-2024 05:34 PM

Vette dash gauges

[QUOTE=856SPEED;1578093558]fine piece....have one installed in my 85....much better (for me and my car's build style)......however I have a couple of issues:

the fit and finish is nice......I like the white face Auto Meters (that's the option I went to), so that alone is great and the tach is a HUGE improvement over stock....don't need a 10,000 RPM limit tach, but hey, it works great and looks great!![/QUOT

Sabre34 01-29-2024 09:33 AM

You have responded to a thirteen year old thread. You might consider starting a new one.