CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Irene and Carlisle...UPDATE (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2900506-irene-and-carlisle-update.html)

1KULC7 08-25-2011 11:13 AM

Irene and Carlisle...UPDATE

Just responded to a thread below on Carlisle and Irene. I strongly urge those going to have fun Friday, and early Saturday, but please keep in tune with the NWS or the Weather Station.

I work for DHS and because of this pending event, I will not be able to attend, but want to offer this. People driving south from New England, the newest information will put this storm early SUNDAY morning in the immediate coastal area of New Jersey. The storm already reaches out over 260 miles from center, and is expected to expand to over 300 miles by late tonight. It will hit the outer banks of NC Saturday, but you should start to see the first effects in Carlisle Saturday night.

Of course the storm center is not going to be near Carlisle but the effects of the storm with Thunderstorms and possible hail/tornadoes could be felt as far west as Carlisle, so beware late Saturday and Sunday.

Again for the folks traveling from New York and New England, this is going to be a major event with over 12 inches of rain, hail storms, and many tornadoes as the storm approaches, winds will be over 110 MPH with gusts up to 130MPH as the storm approaches Long Island and then toward block island, toward BOSTON. THIS IS SERIOUS, and rain x and towels in your car is not going to help, as many roadway will be flooded and trees will fall, power lines down, and debris flying as missles can cause you serious damage.

Every track we see today on the storms path puts this in line with Long Island and most of Massachuesetts. You have not experienced anything like this up in the Northeast for decades, PLEASE BE PREPARED.

I have already got word the State Police intend to close 95 North and other major highways in the path of the storm before the storm arrives, so beware of major highway road closures.

Look guys, this is my business, and I am serious, go have a good time Friday and most of Saturday, but don't take this storm lightly. Yeah you made be able to drive through this, but its the other guy, debris flying through the air and emergency closures that could cause you some real damage. JUST BE CAREFUL PLEASE.....this is not a joke.

:thumbs:

Keith Carlson 08-25-2011 12:05 PM

Great above post and here is a link to the National Weather Service.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/grap...html?tswind120

I worked down on the Gulfcoast in MS right after Katrina and burned up 10,000 miles in a just a few months. Never saw so much debris and the damage 100 miles inland in MS. was severe in places. Insurance companies total vehicles real quick with water damage and sometimes establishing "fair market values" with some of them can be challenging.

Hate to see any of those sweet old Vettes get hurt (or their owners)!

Good luck and be safe!

Keith

1KULC7 08-25-2011 12:13 PM

Keith,

Thanks for your post, I have spent years in the Coast Guard and US Customs and Border Protection (COOP and DR). During Katrina I worked at the CBP Emergency Center in DC and spent countless days and night supporting the efforts down south. These storms are hard to perdict, but I do not have a good feeling about this one. So I want to send fair warning out to all those folks attending Carlisle to please be aware of the weather conditions, a slight wobble of this storm can mean 100 to 200 mile change in direction, and could cause more problems then first thought in centeral PA....

Take if from an ole Coastie,,, don't feel you are special when it comes to a storm of this magnatude, it will get you.

Collin

Keith Carlson 08-25-2011 12:25 PM

Collin,

You are welcome and I too will pay close attention to this storm. My female companion is in Central NJ taking care of her elderly parents (92 and 90) who are having a tough time. I grew up in the East and spent 20 plus years working property/casualty insurance claims both staff and independent.

It can be a life changing experience with one of these potential catastrophic events, with or without insurance.

Keith

Trophy Blue 08-26-2011 09:57 PM

I just got back from the Outer Banks and will not be attending Carlise. Please stay safe and watch the weather reports. :thumbs:

Mark_Milner 08-27-2011 11:55 AM

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/radar....d=dox&loop=yes

5thvet 08-27-2011 12:05 PM

I'm staying with family at the Jersey shore and left Carlisle earlier than I planned because of all the mandatory evacuations here. The Garden State Parkway closed last night at 8 PM for all southbound lanes south of exit 98. I am riding out the storm here in Bayville NJ. Drive safely!

Don

davidarborg 08-27-2011 12:27 PM

We cancelled our flights, afraid of not getting back on time (to Denmark/Europe).

BLee 08-27-2011 12:32 PM

Got an email today from SWA saying my flight out of Baltimore tomorrow had been cancelled. No SWA flights to Houston were available today out of Baltimore, Dulles, or Pittsburgh. I'd be stuck, which is exactly what I had feared and the reason I didn't make the trip. There's always next year.

ajg1915 08-27-2011 08:12 PM

The rain and winds are picking up here in Norristown, PA which ia about 115 miles east of Carlilse.

Looks like a mess for traveling on the roads. I'm staying home with the wife and dogs and my twin bro who went home to be with his wife in ALexandria, VA.

Pretty rough week on the East Coast with an earthquake and now "Irene".

Hope everybody fares well.

Drumss 08-27-2011 08:41 PM

We played it safe...went very early Friday, stayed over and left this morning just before noon.... got back to NJ before any rain began.

Some vendors were mentioning they would pack it in today & leave too.

warrenmj 08-27-2011 09:16 PM

Storms like these make me glad to be in Colorado. Stay safe.

Railroadman 08-27-2011 10:18 PM

We went, had a great time, and the weather held. But by the time we left at about 4PM, vendors were packing up wholesale and a good many had already left.

1-2-b-67L89 08-27-2011 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Railroadman (Post 1578538233)
We went, had a great time, and the weather held. But by the time we left at about 4PM, vendors were packing up wholesale and a good many had already left.

Yep, we left at 1pm (had been there since Thursday) but we only have 1.25 hours to travel back and forth. Many vendors were packing up at noon and thought a lot of cars did not even come back to the car corral on Saturday and really don't blame them.
Hope to see everyone next year.....
P.S. WE GOT the RAIN now.....And I hope that is all!