CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   C4 windshield replacement? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/2900632-c4-windshield-replacement.html)

pipe 08-25-2011 02:35 PM

C4 windshield replacement?

I talked with 3 different glass install company's only one said they need to replace a moulding or weatherstrip. The one that wants to replace the molding wants $800 the others $ 400 whats the deal with the molding or strip for the extra $ 400 and what if I don't get the job with the molding done. Will it leak? THANKS :thumbs: Pipe

3D87C4 08-25-2011 02:46 PM

I got low bids with no mention of molding etc. and one bid, comparable to your's, that included it. I went with the higher bid---if they don't need it they won't charge for it. (They did need it in my case.) I'd rather work with someone who documents the full job than be surprised, or worse, end up with someone who doesn't know what's needed & botches the job.

P.S. I make no claim to being smart with my money...

mfi 08-25-2011 06:56 PM

They replaced everything on mine and it has never leaked..insurance job so I got the best stuff possible..

mwilson 08-25-2011 08:07 PM

be sure and call around. just had mine replaced. 1994. 240.00. im in indiana. not sure if that makes any difference

Sparkytfl 08-25-2011 08:26 PM

I got mine done for about 210 after tax from the shop thats voted best in the city every year. They must do a flat labor fee because I doubt they made much money when it took them seven hours to do.

mackeyred96 08-25-2011 10:03 PM

i had safe lite come to the house and change mine with new moldings for about $300. I can't see how you could use the old molding...

mfi 08-26-2011 07:21 AM

They charged the ins co......2200.00 for the job..replaced the side window as well...but still:eek:

Joe C 08-26-2011 08:00 AM

had the windshields replaced on both my 85 and 90 - both times, they did not replace the molding. on the 85, the installer said it would have been easier to replace the molding. as i recall, the installer charged the insurance company a tad over $300. i have "zero" deductible, so my cost was, well, you do the math - :D

RLG 08-26-2011 05:04 PM

the weatherstrip is glued in at the factory, it usually needs to be replaced.

RLG 08-26-2011 05:04 PM

Safelite

Originally Posted by mackeyred96 (Post 1578521822)
i had safe lite come to the house and change mine with new moldings for about $300. I can't see how you could use the old molding...

Thankyou!!

pipe 08-27-2011 10:11 PM

Thanks for all the reply's I gotta check into this a little more. I have a new weatherstrip for on the bottom of the windshield. Pipe:thumbs:

GREGGPENN 08-27-2011 11:06 PM

The piece on the bottom of the ws isn't really considered weatherstrip. More of a trim piece.

Windshields have both a weatherstrip (aka A-pillar weatherstrip) and a molding. The molding can easily be removed and reused -- if your car hasn't seen a lot of moisture. But, that piece can corrode/rust. Some companies use an aftermarket trim piece that's cheap...about $50 IIRC. Haven't seen one, so I don't know if the quality is good/bad. It's basically a trim piece, so it just has to look even. Probably not that hard.

From dealers, that trim piece was astronomical and some companies charge accordingly -- especially if an insurance claim. I wouldn't be surprised if the old one was reused and the price was bumped just to get more profit.

I just got my 2nd windshield for my 89. I replaced the WS on the first go around. It could have been reused because it wasn't glued with the 1st replacement. It sits in a double-lipped channel and doesn't require gluing. The trim piece was reused both times.

Be aware that companies will often match low-bids from other competitors. Plan on $240-$250 if everything can be reused. If you need new WS, installation becomes free with the WS swap. Plan accordingly.

delmarva dave 08-28-2011 11:25 AM

I have been in the auto glass business for 31 years and work on lots of classic cars .I
would NEVER replace a windshield in a c4 corvette without replacing the weathestrip.there is an aftermarket one and the gm one they are bothe ok.you will regret it it if you dont replace it!!!!!!!

3D87C4 08-28-2011 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by RLG (Post 1578528606)
the weatherstrip is glued in at the factory, it usually needs to be replaced.

Glued in with a vengance! When mine was being replaced there was so much glue they asked whether the windshield had been replaced before. (It hadn't been.)

delmarva dave 08-28-2011 04:25 PM

windshield replacement

Those weatherstrips are so glued in from the factory,it is terrible,i just replaced my 92 windshield repainted all my moldings and wipers at same time looks great!

kenv 08-28-2011 06:09 PM

When I bought my `87, I got it from a local (now defunct) Chevy dealer. It had a problem with the wiper motor & had to be fixed for inspection. The ASE certified mechanic working on it broke the windshield with a screwdriver. I found out later that the dealer looked all over to try to get a used windshield without luck & finaly had to get a new one & new weatherstrip. The owner was not happy with the mechanic. :lol:

PLRX 08-28-2011 06:43 PM

In San Diego it costs $900. Remember, shortcuts will not get you there faster.

GREGGPENN 08-28-2011 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by delmarva dave (Post 1578541115)
I have been in the auto glass business for 31 years and work on lots of classic cars .I
would NEVER replace a windshield in a c4 corvette without replacing the weathestrip.there is an aftermarket one and the gm one they are bothe ok.you will regret it it if you dont replace it!!!!!!!

For a windshield that's never been replaced, I absolutely, 100% agree. Even when my 2nd WS hadn't be glued, I swapped out the WS again. That's mostly because I wasn't happy with my first aftermarket piece.

Black Beauty 88 09-25-2011 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by delmarva dave (Post 1578541115)

Are you still in the glass business? My '88 has scratches from the PO running wipers with little/no rubber on them. They aren't bad, but still bother me. I'm in Camden just up the road.