CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   When did THIS become part of the sale?! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2917252-when-did-this-become-part-of-the-sale.html)

BSSN 09-21-2011 05:07 AM

When did THIS become part of the sale?!

I saw $28.XX on my CC statement from "Onstar".

It is listed as a recurring payment.

This is the first time I have seen it.

What does this mean? What have I unwittingly signed up for? Does that cover my XM radio, too? Where is my $28/mo going?! :eek:

MikeyTX 09-21-2011 05:13 AM

How did the dealer get your CC # ? At some point, you had to have given it to them.

BSSN 09-21-2011 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyTX (Post 1578756727)
How did the dealer get your CC # ? At some point, you had to have given it to them.

I bought a few extra minutes on the Onstar phone thing (which I never used). :(

Turbo6TA 09-21-2011 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by BSSN (Post 1578756741)

I bought a few extra minutes on the Onstar phone thing (which I never used).

And that's how OnStar got your CC number

TRR 09-21-2011 07:20 AM

Yep, and it's a pain in the arse to stop. :toetap:

TRR

Xedes 09-21-2011 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by TRR (Post 1578756946)

TRR

:iagree:

I turned off my service through a phone call and letter and still kept getting billed. A few phone calls later, they stopped billing me. Received a new updated CC a month later so they no longer could bill me. 6 months after that I get a bill in the mail from them. After a very heated conversation they finally agreed to stop trying to bill me. NEVER AGAIN.

Eritosthenes 09-21-2011 07:59 AM

I thank my lucky stars (no pun intended) that I was allowed to expressly NOT get OnStar when I ordered my early '07. IMHO it was, is, and always will be a complete waste of money.

jrrjbl 09-21-2011 09:17 AM

Just picked up new GS on Sat. They asked me to sign up with Onstar while. Did it sitting car. Lots of questions and then the push for min and "can put the charge on CC". I said no thank you and no CC numbers, he disconnected me.

Dealer called yesterday and asked if I would sign up and said I did already. Next thing I get is an email asking for detailed info from Onstar, no cc #. I gave them some and ignored the too intrusive stuff.

Impressive organization, not, given the billing/charges. No chance of going past the free period.

FloydSummerOf68 09-21-2011 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Eritosthenes (Post 1578757093)
IMHO it was, is, and always will be a complete waste of money.

:iagree:

6spdC6 09-21-2011 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Eritosthenes (Post 1578757093)
I thank my lucky stars (no pun intended) that I was allowed to expressly NOT get OnStar when I ordered my early '07. IMHO it was, is, and always will be a complete waste of money.

:iagree::thumbs:

It was June in 07 and I wanted to get a new Z06. Was going to wait till the 08s came out but then found out about mandatory onstar. I looked around found a new 07Z I wanted without onstar and purchased it on a good deal. I like the car and think this one I will keep a long time.

I solved the onstar problem with my 2010 truck by not buying a GM product. After buying close to 40 top of the line vehicles from GM I had enough of their nanny nonsense and bought from a different company (foreign) that did not force onstar or drls on me. It was a loaded 4x4 pick up and I like it better than the last few GMS I have purchased.(much better built) My wife followed suit and bought a nice loaded 2011 SUV from the same foreign company.

GM I did not leave you, you left me.:toetap:

WarDriver 09-21-2011 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Xedes (Post 1578757007)
I turned off my service through a phone call and letter and still kept getting billed. A few phone calls later, they stopped billing me. Received a new updated CC a month later so they no longer could bill me. 6 months after that I get a bill in the mail from them. After a very heated conversation they finally agreed to stop trying to bill me. NEVER AGAIN.

Hmm... OnStar taking a page from the XM playbook?

:lurk:

davidtcpa 09-21-2011 10:14 AM

I had Onstar activated on my Tahoe when I had it. After I turned in the lease, it was a pain in the a$$ to stop it. It was a total waste. If you're going to use the valet feature (extra $$) and use them to make reservations in a restaurant, why not just call the restaurant yourself?? :crazy2:

Now I have 2 vehicles equiped with Onstar (the Vette and an Escalade) and I will not even press the blue button in them.

Totally useless!! :ack:

Call them and get it taken off. Change your CC number if you have to.

BostonJoel 09-21-2011 10:19 AM

I got the free 6 months and when the renewal invoice came I sent it back marked NON RENEWAL. That was the last I heard from Onstar.

XM is separate company and you have to deal with their shady business practices. There are a zillion threads on that subject.

Wayne O 09-21-2011 10:42 AM

Sadly and like with many other services it's something you have to opt-out of. I have no problem with OnStar per se but I detest being forced to opt-out of a recurring charge for continuing service. If I want continue with something notify me it's about to expire...I'll continue or not. Some computer software companies do this. Whenever I renew a subscription I immediately make sure I opt-out of any recurring charges for continuing service.

If you don't want to continue with OnStar call them up and cancel.

Originally Posted by TRR (Post 1578756946)

TRR

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h9...I_disagree.gif

When stopped driving my C6 on the street I canceled OnStar with a phone call. I don't recall having any problems terminating service.

Kevin_NYC 09-21-2011 11:07 AM

OnStar and XM both asked me for cc # "just to put on file for future"

I said NO.

translation:

we will bill u and you wont be able to cancel for a while

jrrjbl 09-21-2011 11:41 AM

Funny we have been discussing the ethics of Onstar. This hit this morning

http://consumerist.com/2011/09/onsta...l-service.html

c6miller 09-21-2011 11:55 AM

you never want to give OnStar or XM your CC#. They will automatically bill you at their highest rate. On Star useless and you can negotiate a $77/yr with XM

Gearhead Jim 09-21-2011 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by jrrjbl (Post 1578758723)
Funny we have been discussing the ethics of Onstar. This hit this morning

http://consumerist.com/2011/09/onsta...l-service.html

I removed the Onstar antenna box from my windshield just because i wanted to mount my Valentine up there. After reading this, I'm not planning to replace it even if i remove the Valentine.

Pulling the Onstar fuse also seems to disable the mic on the A-Pillar that is used for Bluetooth, so I didn't want to do that.

Racer 09-21-2011 12:29 PM

I have had Onstar on a bunch of my vehicles, when I wanted to stop I phoned them, it stopped. Some people make things out to be so hard. I think half the guys on this forum BS about Onstar and XM just to pile on. :yesnod:
I also think half the guys who keep getting billed, have no one to blame but themselves, can't follow simple directions which are plainly laid out when cancelling, so now we have to listen to the whining. :nopity

Xedes 09-21-2011 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by WarDriver (Post 1578757985)
Hmm... OnStar taking a page from the XM playbook?

:lurk:

You know what,,, I had a brain fart, it was XM and not OnStar. :hide: