CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Camshaft Identification (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/2932334-camshaft-identification.html)

pikez35 10-15-2011 03:46 PM

Camshaft Identification

Is there anyway to identify a camshaft without having to remove the cam? I have a 93 LT1 with forged pistons and a cam I'm having a rich running condition which i think is due to stock ecu with the modifications i have. Would like to prevent to have to pull the cam but if thats the only option i'll guess I might have to any suggestions. If i have to pull the cam any good videos or how to's? I talked to the guy over at Corvette Connection and he suggested putting a stock cam back in saying that the LT1's and TPI's are sensitive to cams and getting them to run right is a challenge.

1963SS 10-15-2011 04:20 PM

With a dial indicator and a degree wheel you could tell the lift of your cam and the duration. That would probably be enough to get a base tune and correct your richness. You could get a cable for your Vette to hook it up to a laptop and data log what your engines doing. You could then e-mail this file to a tuner and he can burn you a chip that will work well. Another datalog and another program and you're real close.

The logging is a simple process and when you're finished you've still got the cable. You can use it to troubleshoot any future problems and it will come in handy.

That sounds like a lot less trouble than pulling your cam. Even if you pull the cam and if it's custom, there might be no numbers on it. I've seen it happen.

jaa1992 10-15-2011 05:15 PM

I'd just datalog it and see where its off and have one of the mail order tuners send me a new chip. Could take a couple of tries, but it will be much better than what you have.

pikez35 10-15-2011 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by 1963SS (Post 1578967701)
With a dial indicator and a degree wheel you could tell the lift of your cam and the duration. That would probably be enough to get a base tune and correct your richness. You could get a cable for your Vette to hook it up to a laptop and data log what your engines doing. You could then e-mail this file to a tuner and he can burn you a chip that will work well. Another datalog and another program and you're real close.

The logging is a simple process and when you're finished you've still got the cable. You can use it to troubleshoot any future problems and it will come in handy.

That sounds like a lot less trouble than pulling your cam. Even if you pull the cam and if it's custom, there might be no numbers on it. I've seen it happen.

Thanks, where could i get the stuff that you say i need. I was thinking of just taking it to West Bend Dyno about 2 hrs away and have them run and tune it. Would most tuners be able to tune it like you say here or is it still better just to get the stuff and do it myself with the mail in?

1963SS 10-15-2011 05:48 PM

A tuner could fix it correctly the first try, probably. But if you intend to keep it, it will act up and the datalogger is a real neat troubleshooting aid. If you let someone use your car you will know how hard they pushed the pedal, how fast they went and when it happened. I got my son good one day. even for intermittent problems they're hard to beat. They show every sensor, what it told your ECM and when it told it. You'll know what gear you were in and if the transmission was slow to shift, you'll know why. They're just a really neat tool.

The cable can be purchased at "AKM Cables" for one. They're top notch and it'll be a OBD1 to USB cable. E-mail him and he'll tell you what you need. The datalogging program I like is TTS Datamaster. It's free for 20 logs. Each log lasts a long time. There are other free logging programs out there also. I don't know what tuners charge but I've got one I'll recommend. I've been tuned by most all of them and this guy's really thorough. I'll PM you his name because I don't know about forums, sponsors and such so a PM will be easier.:thumbs:

pikez35 10-15-2011 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by 1963SS (Post 1578968185)
A tuner could fix it correctly the first try, probably. But if you intend to keep it, it will act up and the datalogger is a real neat troubleshooting aid. If you let someone use your car you will know how hard they pushed the pedal, how fast they went and when it happened. I got my son good one day. even for intermittent problems they're hard to beat. They show every sensor, what it told your ECM and when it told it. You'll know what gear you were in and if the transmission was slow to shift, you'll know why. They're just a really neat tool.

The cable can be purchased at "AKM Cables" for one. They're top notch and it'll be a OBD1 to USB cable. E-mail him and he'll tell you what you need. The datalogging program I like is TTS Datamaster. It's free for 20 logs. Each log lasts a long time. There are other free logging programs out there also. I don't know what tuners charge but I've got one I'll recommend. I've been tuned by most all of them and this guy's really thorough. I'll PM you his name because I don't know about forums, sponsors and such so a PM will be easier.:thumbs:

Awesome! Thanks for all the info and help! :)

STL94LT1 10-15-2011 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by pikez35 (Post 1578967512)
I talked to the guy over at Corvette Connection and he suggested putting a stock cam back in saying that the LT1's and TPI's are sensitive to cams and getting them to run right is a challenge.

Note to self: Don't call Corvette Connection asking for advice!!

1963SS 10-15-2011 06:18 PM

Note to self: Don't call Corvette Connection asking for advice!!
Me neither. That's about the dumbest thing I've EVER heard. Bunch of retards.:crazy2:

rodj 10-15-2011 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by 1963SS (Post 1578968359)
That's about the dumbest thing I've EVER heard.

But it allows you to charge extra be cause these cars are " hard to do "

pikez35 10-15-2011 09:55 PM

yeah won't be doing that again. haha