CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Thief Tries to Steal Corvette, Winds Up Trapped Inside (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2938222-thief-tries-to-steal-corvette-winds-up-trapped-inside.html)

CF Editor 10-25-2011 02:01 PM

Thief Tries to Steal Corvette, Winds Up Trapped Inside

This is a pretty hilarious story.

But all kidding aside, does anyone have a good explanation as to why this system is a good idea? A lot of Corvettes are weekend or second cars, and can be finicky about keeping a charge on the battery.

Plus, this system has to weigh more than a mechanical equivalent, so why saddle a sports car with it? It just seems like one more thing to break. I'm not trying to talk any trash, just curious...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...ped-inside.php

pewter99 10-25-2011 02:03 PM

pull the release lever...its pretty simple

had to do this on my 07Z....got in and the seat moved forward, doors locked and then...nothing...had to pull the release to get out :lol:

beerbarrel 10-25-2011 02:25 PM

Unless you are an un-educated theif!

Originally Posted by pewter99 (Post 1579050676)
pull the release lever...its pretty simple

had to do this on my 07Z....got in and the seat moved forward, doors locked and then...nothing...had to pull the release to get out :lol:

Vette_DD 10-25-2011 02:33 PM

Actually, with a C6 coupe, there are 2 ways to get out if the battery goes dead, and at least 2 ways to get in.

A friend of mine who shall go nameless, has owned 25 or 26 Corvettes and he locked himself into one of the 05 coupes I used to own. He didn't know about the release on the floor, and I still don't know why he didn't just take the top off. He called his SIL on his cell phone to come and get him out.

beerbarrel 10-25-2011 02:37 PM

Just press the blue button and tell them you are drunk and locked yourself in the car!:rofl:

Charlie from Cherry Hill 10-25-2011 02:45 PM

My wife and I were in a caravan of 30+ Corvettes in our club and after about an hour of driving we stopped to re-group. I got out to stretch my legs and my wife said she'd sit in the car. Without any thought to it, with the fob in my pocket, I walked far enough away from the car to be out of range for the fob to allow the door to be opened without the alarm going off. When she changed her mind and opened the door to get out, you guessed it, the alarm went off. Maybe I'll get used to the C6 fob one day, but for now I still see advantages in the C5 system. :D

Crowhater 10-25-2011 02:46 PM

I am so glad I live in Texas where it is legal to put a double tap on a person in your yard.

pewter99 10-25-2011 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by torch red ryder (Post 1579051023)
but for now I still see advantages in the C5 system. :D

:iagree: when it comes to the FOB programming issue :cuss

gbgary 10-25-2011 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by beerbarrel (Post 1579050868)
Unless you are an un-educated theif!

:D oops

Scissors 10-25-2011 03:05 PM

1. Break window to escape
2. ???
3. Profit

J S Machine 10-25-2011 03:13 PM

Yeah I've been there...sort of :leaving:

My '95 Z71 pickup had a loose ground bolt on the battery. Every now and then it would lose contact and kill power to the whole truck. It aslo had two broken inside door handles (common with those trucks) and I had put off fixing both. The only way I could open my doors was by letting the window down and opening the door from the outside door handle.

One morning on my way to work at 4am, I stopped at walmart to pick up something to eat. When I got back in the truck and shut the door, the battery lost contact. Windows up, I could not get out to go fix the cable issue :willy:

So I called my wife, and as usual, her phone was dead :lol:

I had to call the police, and get them to come open my door.

Man I felt like an idiot :rofl:

VetteNGT500 10-25-2011 03:43 PM

gbgary..., you BEET me to it.... lol

:cool:

Vette_DD 10-25-2011 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by torch red ryder (Post 1579051023)
My wife and I were in a caravan of 30+ Corvettes in our club and after about an hour of driving we stopped to re-group. I got out to stretch my legs and my wife said she'd sit in the car. Without any thought to it, with the fob in my pocket, I walked far enough away from the car to be out of range for the fob to allow the door to be opened without the alarm going off. When she changed her mind and opened the door to get out, you guessed it, the alarm went off. Maybe I'll get used to the C6 fob one day, but for now I still see advantages in the C5 system. :D

There's a section in the owner's manual that tells you how to avoid this when a passenger stays in the car, but real men don't read owner's manuals. :lol:

KWC6 10-25-2011 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by JimTN (Post 1579051546)
There's a section in the owner's manual that tells you how to avoid this when a passenger stays in the car, but real men don't read owner's manuals. :lol:

:iagree: or ask for directions.

Charlie from Cherry Hill 10-25-2011 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by JimTN (Post 1579051546)

Really, I'll have to get the wife to read it :D

Thrash 10-25-2011 04:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The FOB has its pluses ... but for God's sake I wish I had a normal key (what was so wrong with that?). I've had dozens of alarm-trips, non-entry, 3-beeps and 2 occasions of a friend locked in & alarm going off, for me it's a total FAIL, unnecessary technology from a bored engineer ... :willy:

carl3989 10-25-2011 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Crowhater (Post 1579051029)
I am so glad I live in Texas where it is legal to put a double tap on a person in your yard.

For Grand Larceny Auto? Wow! Must be a left over from the days when you could shoot horse thiefs. eh?:hide:

choprfgr 10-25-2011 05:52 PM

You can can STILL shoot horse thieves.

WAwatchnut 10-25-2011 07:12 PM

Personally, I love the system. I just open the car, sttart it up, and go. No taking keys out, no putting keys back in my pocket. Never really have to worry about forgetting my keys anywhere because they never leave my pocket. About the only thing I would change would be the addition of a sensor in the rear hatch area to prevent the "keys in the jacket - jacket in the trunk" syndrome.

Although it seems like the system adds weight, I really wonder if it does. Even with "normal" power locks, you have the same electronic actuators, some electronics for door locking logic, etc. The only difference is the substitution of pushbuttons for mechanical levers, and the elimination of the lock cylinders. My guess is it probably saves weight overall.

I wish all of my cars had the system. (BTW - my battery has been perfect for 4+ years, and 6 - 10 weeks of inactivity per week 1-2 weeks at a time. Maybe I've been lucky)

erick_e 10-25-2011 07:37 PM

If I had not read my owners manual, I would have been in a similar situation.

I thought it would be funny to share my humbling experience with corvette owners here

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...el-stupid.html.