CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-for-sale-wanted-58/)
-   -   Value of a Blue 1961 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-for-sale-wanted/2939344-value-of-a-blue-1961-a.html)

MikeVA 10-27-2011 11:19 AM

Value of a Blue 1961

8 Attachment(s)
I'm looking for a nice driver and I think this fits the bill. I am trying to get a ballpark figure as to its value, thanks in advance.

Frame off restored in 2005
no rust on the frame
jewel blue
350 engine
Muncie four speed
355 rear end
both tops
roller front wheel bearings
no evidence of any accidents
paint is not perfect, but really nice
Engine, transmission, rear end and steering box were rebuilt during the restoration

Only known issues:
Vibration at 60-70 mph, current owner suspects wheel balance.
Weatherstrip at the top of the windshield has been pushed up.

Attachment 48379865
Attachment 48379866
Attachment 48379867
Attachment 48379868
Attachment 48379869
Attachment 48379870
Attachment 48379871
Attachment 48379872

Bowtyeguy 10-27-2011 12:21 PM

40k I think you can find an original motor car for 45k. I like it.

Panama 58 10-29-2011 10:26 AM

Very nice looking car. I would place a value on it in the $40-42 range as well. It clearly has been upgraded to provide dependable driving (350, alternator vs generator, smaller steering wheel, etc.) yet kept the overall look original. A "driver" can be defined a couple of different ways. The first is the way this car is set up....for drivability and dependable performance. You can also define a driver as an original car in "non-show" condition. I assume you want the get in it and go kind? If so, nice choice. The only thing I would suggest is to make sure this car has been driven by the current owner(s) for several hundred miles to make sure all of the bugs have been worked out and it is dialed in so that it will be dependable for you. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Panama58:thumbs:

MikeVA 10-29-2011 11:19 AM

He increased the price to $46,000 so I guess he found another buyer and was trying to get the sale price up a bit. Thanks for the replies.

Panama 58 10-29-2011 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by MikeVA (Post 1579084396)
He increased the price to $46,000 so I guess he found another buyer and was trying to get the sale price up a bit. Thanks for the replies.

What was he asking originally? I don't believe your post ever had that information. Did you speak with him when he had a lower price? Surely he didn't raise the price on you after you talked with him.
Panama58:thumbs:

elmwood_farmer 10-29-2011 10:08 PM

If he did raise the price on you, I would make a lower offer and let him know that it, like his asking price is subject to change....

Bowtyeguy 10-30-2011 06:49 AM

Mike by your screen name I guess you are in VA check this out I am sure it can be had for less and in your range

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...673836412.html

UberLegend 10-30-2011 09:40 AM

Not too swift of a seller if they raised the price, there's not much live money out there.

MikeVA 10-30-2011 10:35 AM

We agreed on 44 which was his "out the door price" (his words). I wasn't too thrilled with this number but I really wanted the car. The next day I told him that I'd be picking the car up in a few days with a cashier's check and he said that sounded great. Later that afternoon I received an email saying being that I wasn't paying in cash that he wanted extra for tax. At that point I told him to forget it and then he sent me another email with a few choice words. So the search goes on.

Bowtyeguy, I noticed the '62 and it's in the condition that I'm looking for but not the year I want (thanks for the link by the way). For the C1's I tend to prefer a 59-61 for various reasons. To be honest I really like the mid-years (specifically a '67 BB but who doesn't) but I'm having trouble finding anything within a reasonable driving distance.

Dannoman 10-30-2011 12:45 PM

Good for you, Mike.....glad you walked away when he tried to squeeze a few more bucks out of you. What a bunch of BS......

Hang in there, you'll find what you're looking for.:thumbs:

Danno

Originally Posted by MikeVA (Post 1579090904)
We agreed on 44 which was his "out the door price" (his words). I wasn't too thrilled with this number but I really wanted the car. The next day I told him that I'd be picking the car up in a few days with a cashier's check and he said that sounded great. Later that afternoon I received an email saying being that I wasn't paying in cash that he wanted extra for tax. At that point I told him to forget it and then he sent me another email with a few choice words. So the search goes on.

Bowtyeguy, I noticed the '62 and it's in the condition that I'm looking for but not the year I want (thanks for the link by the way). For the C1's I tend to prefer a 59-61 for various reasons. To be honest I really like the mid-years (specifically a '67 BB but who doesn't) but I'm having trouble finding anything within a reasonable driving distance.

MikeVA 10-30-2011 01:43 PM

Thanks Danno!

Originally Posted by Dannoman (Post 1579091729)
Good for you, Mike.....glad you walked away when he tried to squeeze a few more bucks out of you. What a bunch of BS......

Hang in there, you'll find what you're looking for.:thumbs:

Danno

Frankie the Fink 10-30-2011 07:47 PM

Prob best you walked....waffling on an agreed upon price is a non-starter with me.

Also windshield weather stripping 'pushed up' could be a sign of broken windshield pillar tabs...not a hugely expensive repair but a LOT of labor to get the pillars out, repaired and then back in.. And a high speed vibration could be wheels (it was on my car) or more serious issues.

Gumpy 10-31-2011 11:12 AM

its good to walk away and reflect,,,,a seller changing prices is not kosher....and not condusive to selling a car...the price is the price!

OldKarz 10-31-2011 11:53 AM

When a guy does that crap..........walk like you did! You will find the right car, take your time. :thumbs:

BrentF 10-31-2011 08:29 PM

I had a member of this Forum try and pull that stunt with me after he had formally agreed to a deal. I taught him a few of the more basic points about contract law........ and then took delivery of the car as originally agreed upon.

MikeVA 11-01-2011 10:06 AM

Good to know, next time I'll get everything in writing.