CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Can a rim get bent during tire replacement? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/2940646-can-a-rim-get-bent-during-tire-replacement.html)

01vetter 10-29-2011 03:53 PM

Can a rim get bent during tire replacement?

I just replaced my original run flats with non run flats. When I changed the tires the tech said that I have two bent rims, but they were still within tolerances for road force balancing. When I installed the tires on my vette I spun them and couldn't see any out of trueness.

My original tires looked fine with no unusual tire wear that would indicate a bent rim. Is it possible that the tech could have bent the rims when replacing the run flats? My rims are stock thin spokes.

silver408z 10-29-2011 04:05 PM

Not unless he dropped them pretty hard with no tires on them. It would something extremely wierd for a machine to bend them.

84REDCROSSFIRE 10-29-2011 04:13 PM

If somebody used an old tire machine made for the old steel rims you could bend an aluminium one up.

lucky131969 10-29-2011 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by 84REDCROSSFIRE (Post 1579086293)
If somebody used an old tire machine made for the old steel rims you could bend an aluminium one up.

:iagree:

01vetter 10-29-2011 04:34 PM

Assuming they used latest mounting machine

The tire shop had a Hunter run flat compatible machine as well as others. Unfortunately I couldn't see which one they used. He said that he was using a "touchless" one so as not to scratch the rims. I am assuming this was a newer one. The installer was a Tire Rack recommended shop with a 4 1/2* rating.

sami85L98 10-30-2011 12:32 AM

Not true, iam a pro mechanic and prolly installed million tires sofar, and we have now 2 mahines (coats old very old and 2 years ago got Snapon) guess which one is my favourite ....Coats the old one, our shop is in rich neighborhood and we get more Al rims than steel, i never bend any rims period does not matter Al or steel or Old machine or new machine unless a unexperienced plus stupid installer and doing stupid mistake....never saw all these happening same time never i mean never.

Regarding Runflats although i hate literally those tires and pain to install em....still i never ben any rim while installing or balancing.

However its very common that rim is already bent slightly which owner never felt while driving, but we see while rotate specially balancing you can see visibly and in some rare occasions some customer are very anal and picky i use tire dial gauge hooked up and spin and there you go notice em right away.

dquagliaroli 10-30-2011 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by lucky131969 (Post 1579086344)