CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Canadian Events (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/canadian-events-97/)
-   -   That was a little expenisve plus I'll give you an update on Autoglym (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/canadian-events/2957952-that-was-a-little-expenisve-plus-ill-give-you-an-update-on-autoglym.html)

GiggityGiggity 11-29-2011 08:57 AM

That was a little expenisve plus I'll give you an update on Autoglym

Spent a small fortune this past weekend on accessorizing the Z. It's been in the shop for the last 2 months getting some meticulous attention after a phantom hit and run (cosmetic damage only thankfully) and she deserves some trinkets and yum yums for her suffering. :rofl:

Looks like my CCW's will be refinished, not by Autoglym but by my ins co as two wheels got some rash on them from the hit and run. They are paying to replace 2 wheels, instead I will use the money to refinish them locally. Autoglym did send a rep twice to look at my wheels and test the product I used. Long story short, we were never able to replicate the exact scenario that caused their product to stain my wheels, i.e. water supply, temperatures, wheel condition (dirt, grime,)etc... which all would have an effect on how the product would of reacted with my anodized finish but in the end, I gave up the battle as my ins co had offered enough to allow me to have them refinished at no out of pocket expense to me. I was happy with the rep Autoglym sent out, he was very willing to work with me but I will never use their products again. I don't feel the tests they performed were accurate, for one, they tested it on clean wheels and continuously wipped the wheel dry when I allowed them to air dry. Regardless, water under the bridge. This is now a closed case. I am reconsidering anodizing but am also looking at powder coating options as well. And I have some ideas to add a custom touch to these wheels to set them off just right with my new accessories. When they are finished I will post pics.

Took advantage of some our vendor relationships on the forum as well as some Black Friday sales. Really did spend a small fortune which leaves me with only a few buck in pocket for headers, x pipe and a tune. I am trying to keep that work below 2K if possible, it's been an expensive November and I still have to pay my ins deductible :hide:

Here's a list of my latest upgrades, I'm excited to start working on the car when I get it back....hopefully by this weekend:

1. Vararam B2 w/power duct - I will be selling my Donaldson Black Wing if anyone is interested.
2. C6 base splash guards - cause the C5 splash guards are ugly and I will custom fit these to the C5 via some trimming for a clean look.
3. Rear bumper and side cove screens - OEM Z06 Mesh style
4. Performance Hood Seal
5. Flush Mount Tail Light Kit and Seals
6. Lloyds front mats with 2001 "Z06" logo
7. Aluminum Gauge Bezels
8. Torch red "Corvette" emblem for the dash and Black C5 Logo for the steering wheel
9. Carbon Fiber Brake Duct Covers
10. Carbon Fiber C5R front lip
11. Carbon Fiber ZR1 side skirts

Most of this stuff is simple bolt on/stick on and DIY work which I am looking forward too. This leaves with me only a few mods left in mind to complete my ultimate daily driver. Projector Headlights, Halo Tails with Halo mod, Headers, X Pipe, T Stat and Tune. Suspension - either new performance shocks or blow the budget on coilovers bit this time next year, there is no way this a 2011 project for me. Problem is, with all these new godies, now I have to go sell more stuff to my customers so I can buy more stuff for me :thumbs:

On that note, thanks for reading :cheers:

PaulUptime 11-29-2011 10:41 AM

Sounds like Autoglym stepped up to send a rep to you, that's pretty decent.

But just to close this up Frank, cliffs notes on your experience:

Don't let wheel cleaner sit and dry on your wheels.
Especially brushed black anodized custom wheels

So maybe it wasn't their product, per se.
Would you agree?

PS. I'm waiting on a buddy for the Sonax "Full Effect" Wheel Cleaner to be available... more to come on that. Should be in ample supply for next season.

GiggityGiggity 11-29-2011 12:02 PM

Nah, I disagree as the wheel cleaner never did "dry" on my wheels but like I said, Autoglym didnt replicate my exact scenario when they did their tests so the results were subjective. I'm saying case closed, no point in discussing the past so we can leave it there imo.