CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   Correcting an off Center Steering Wheel (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/2965923-correcting-an-off-center-steering-wheel.html)

xcutter 12-13-2011 10:14 PM

Correcting an off Center Steering Wheel

I had an alignment a few months ago. When I got the car back, my steering wheel was way off center. I brought it back and had it adjusted. This time, it was returned slightly off center. Is there an easy way for me to correct this myself? I believe the alignment is ok. I don't want this place messing with my car again. I may just end up paying for another alignment.

RicK T 12-13-2011 10:36 PM

Not much help but.....find a new/better shop. A centered steering wheel is basic, no excuse for not getting it right......TWICE. Might ask for recommendations on the Southeast Forum. Good luck. :)

madmax4499 12-13-2011 10:44 PM

go back one more time, be pushy, tell them to make it right or refund your money. if they tell you to pack sand call the BBB.

marc8090 12-14-2011 11:11 AM

Basically you need to make one tie rod longer and the other shorter the EXACT same amount to center the steering wheel without changing the amount of toe. Actually quite simple to do yourself, even though you shouldn't have to. If the steering wheel is only slightly off you are talking about a very tiny adjustment.

BEZ06 12-14-2011 12:29 PM

:iagree: with marc8090 - it's very simple to correct.

I had a similar problem - after 2 visits to the dealer with no luck, I just fixed it myself.

If you ever find yourself up Daytona way just give me a holler. You can stop by my house an we'll have you fixed up in about 10 minutes!!:thumbs:

Bob :flag:

ROC OUT 12-14-2011 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by marc8090 (Post 1579469242)
Basically you need to make one tie rod longer and the other shorter the EXACT same amount to center the steering wheel without changing the amount of toe. Actually quite simple to do yourself, even though you shouldn't have to. If the steering wheel is only slightly off you are talking about a very tiny adjustment.

Originally Posted by BEZ06 (Post 1579469939)

I had a similar problem - after 2 visits to the dealer with no luck, I just fixed it myself.

If you ever find yourself up Daytona way just give me a holler. You can stop by my house an we'll have you fixed up in about 10 minutes!!:thumbs:

I have this same problem and it bothers me till no end. Would rather correct this myself instead of relying on someone else.

So, exactly how do you fix it? Is there a DIY on this? Can it be done by driving the car on ramps?

:bigears

marc8090 12-14-2011 01:32 PM

Lets say that if you held the wheel centered the car went right, you would need to point the tires slightly to the left. Since the steering rack is ahead of the tires the left tie rod needs to be made longer, and the right shorter. Mark the tie rods, jamb nuts, and ends before you do anything. Loosen the jamb nuts, and turn the tie rods the proper direction. I just look at the pitch of threads and can figure out which way it needs to be turned. Usually it's only an 1/8 to a 1/4 turn or even less. Adjust both sides the same amount going longer on one and shorter on the other, tighten the jamb nuts, and take it around the block to see how it is. You'll know based on the steering wheel position if you need to go farther or if you went to much.

xcutter 12-14-2011 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by BEZ06 (Post 1579469939)

Thanks, I appreciate the offer.

xcutter 12-14-2011 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by marc8090 (Post 1579470532)
Lets say that if you held the wheel centered the car went right, you would need to point the tires slightly to the left. Since the steering rack is ahead of the tires the left tie rod needs to be made longer, and the right shorter. Mark the tie rods, jamb nuts, and ends before you do anything. Loosen the jamb nuts, and turn the tie rods the proper direction. I just look at the pitch of threads and can figure out which way it needs to be turned. Usually it's only an 1/8 to a 1/4 turn or even less. Adjust both sides the same amount going longer on one and shorter on the other, tighten the jamb nuts, and take it around the block to see how it is. You'll know based on the steering wheel position if you need to go farther or if you went to much.

Do the wheels need to be off the ground or can this be done on ramps?

marc8090 12-14-2011 04:29 PM

On ramps is fine, no need to have the weight off the wheels.

xcutter 12-14-2011 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by marc8090 (Post 1579472170)
On ramps is fine, no need to have the weight off the wheels.

Thanks alot :cheers:

Bobby @ LG Motorsports 12-14-2011 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by marc8090 (Post 1579469242)

Exactly...