CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   C5 Secrets (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2970526-c5-secrets.html)

philcon99 12-22-2011 06:55 PM

C5 Secrets

This has most likely been posted before but I think this is some cool information:

C5 Corvette Secrets:

-That you can put your key in the driver's door and turn it twice towards the front to unlock the passenger door and a third time to pop the trunk.

-That you can pop the trunk and also pop the gas cap cover by pulling on metal lines hidden in the back.

-The little slotted cover on the dash behind the steering wheel is where the inside air temperature sensor is located.

-All of the option codes are in the glove box.

-Tire inflation recommended pressures are on the driver's door

-The thing that looks like a little LED near the DIC buttons is a light sensor

-The thing that looks like a little LED near the defroster vent is a UV sensor for determining A/C usage to compensate for the heating effect of the sun

-The build sheet is in the front re-bar

-If you leave your turn signal on, in about 1 minute it will start to ding (loud enough to hear over the stereo) to let you know you have old timers disease.

-You can reset the oil life by pumping the gas pedal 3 times (but not with the engine running)

-Hold down the reset button while on one of the trip odometers and it changes that reading to the miles you've traveled since last starting the engine.

-Hold down the Active Handling button for 5 sec. to engage "Competitive Driving" on cars equipped with active handling (2000 and previous years must be stopped.)

-If you pull the seatbelts all the way out while you're buckled in, they ratchet back in to hold you tighter into the seat.

-Simply remove fuse #2 under the hood and your DRLs will be out permanently. Only thing affected is that when you unlock at night using the key fob your front turn signal lights and back up lights will not flash. Your front turn signals will operate normally, however.

-The side-view mirrors can twist both forward and backward, decreasing the chance of damage if struck.

-There is a release opening with a flap to let air out of the car when the hatch is closed. It is located just above the driver side rear compartment, behind the carpet and on the side of the car. Not that it really works well.

-Also you can ground your amp to a screw/bolt that holds the rear middle compartment to the frame.

-If you have a 6-speed car you can pop the trunk when the car is running by lifting the e-brake.

-There is a spot on the driver side just out of the middle compartment under the carpet for the lug nut key. You should have a compartment on the drivers & passenger’s side (in the trunk) and a center compartment. On the left (drivers) side of the center compartment, on the left side where the center cover fits, there is an 'indent' that holds the wheel lock key.

-If you turn on the headlights, then go to parking light position, the lamps remain up but the headlights are not left on.

-If you have the passive entry feature: If you lock your keys in the car, wait a few minutes and then shake the car. That will unlock the car.

-HUD has a shift light for manuals.

-Hold the PAGE button down and it’ll show MPH, hold it down again and it’ll show RPM’s, hold it down again and it’ll show MPH and RPM, hold it down again and it’ll show MPH, RPM, Gas/Oil Pressure or temperature.

-You can easily shift the M6 trans up or down without the clutch if you match revs. (Not great for longevity, however.)

-You can eject the cd from the in-dash player without turning on any power. Don't even need key in the ignition.

- You can pull the turn signal lever towards you (away from the window) to allow your lights to ‘flash’ which in turn notifies others in front of you that you are going to pass (must have the fog lamp option for this to work).

-The cruise will disengage if you purposely make sharp side to side turns while cruising at say 60-80 mph.

-When the engine is shut off, you can get the odometer reading by turning on the parking lights.

-You can program setting #3 (both memory buttons at once) in the seat memory to run the seat back and steering wheel forward for getting in/out of the car with the engine running.

- If you hate DRL’s you can pull the e-brake ONE click and they go off, or pull the #2 fuse.

OneBlueC5 12-22-2011 07:02 PM

Great stuff!

-Hold the PAGE button down and it’ll show MPH, hold it down again and it’ll show RPM’s, hold it down again and it’ll show MPH and RPM, hold it down again and it’ll show MPH, RPM, Gas/Oil Pressure or temperature.
Where's the PAGE button :confused:

corvettezman 12-22-2011 07:08 PM

Yep it's been posted before.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...must-read.html

:cheers:

65GGvert 12-22-2011 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by OneBlueC5 (Post 1579542137)
Great stuff!

Where's the PAGE button :confused:

It's the one that says "page":

http://i39.tinypic.com/158a8b4.jpg

OneBlueC5 12-22-2011 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by 65GGvert (Post 1579542327)
It's the one that says "page":

http://i39.tinypic.com/158a8b4.jpg

I should have known it was on the HUD controls. I don't have the HUD option, so I was really puzzled as to where this button was. Thanks!

Vetteman Jack 12-22-2011 07:41 PM

Even though it has been posted many times before, it never hurts to get a refresher course in the car's secrets.

02koolC5 12-22-2011 10:14 PM

The thing that looks like a little LED near the DIC buttons is a light sensor

Is this for the sentinel lights??

fendermender 12-22-2011 10:37 PM

I've seen a list like this before but missing is that there is a tiny light that shines down on the shifter knob so you can find it in the dark. Mines a 6spd and I noticed it before reading about it.

I've had a bunch but this is the koolest car I've ever owned!

philcon99 12-22-2011 11:18 PM

[QUOTE=fendermender;1579543816
I've had a bunch but this is the koolest car I've ever owned![/QUOTE]

:iagree:

AU N EGL 12-23-2011 09:02 AM

The best C5 Secret is it s a damn fine sports car. One of the best ever built. ;)

ieatyllwcryns 12-23-2011 10:03 AM

excellent list, there are a few things on here i never knew :thumbs: thanks!!

What a cool car, unreal the things that it is capable of doing, and all of the little options they took into consideration...hell of a machine!

BigTattooMan 12-23-2011 10:48 AM

-HUD has a shift light for manuals.
I've gotten my A4 to light up the shift light :leaving:

Vettmann17 12-23-2011 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by philcon99 (Post 1579542076)
-There is a spot on the driver side just out of the middle compartment under the carpet for the lug nut key. You should have a compartment on the drivers & passenger’s side (in the trunk) and a center compartment. On the left (drivers) side of the center compartment, on the left side where the center cover fits, there is an 'indent' that holds the wheel lock key.

This is the only secret that I can't find on my 02 convertible, someone else posted this the other day that he too didnt have this indent for the wheel key, I took another look and even lifted the carpet in the storage bins to see if it was under there but there is no spot for the key and I did look in every compartment. Maybe it was just on certain years or models. All I know it's not in mine. :toetap:

c5chines 12-23-2011 11:49 AM

Another "secret"... how much fuel is in the tanks in my advanced koolest car.POS tank sensors!

MDriveMode 12-23-2011 11:58 AM

:cool:

scott1094 12-23-2011 12:12 PM

Vettman17
According to the 2002 owners manual your wheel lock key should fit in a "small depression" in the trunk rail directly under the left rear compartment cover. This is found on page 6-52. On my 2000 coupe it is there but it is easy to miss. Take the left storage compartment cover off and look at the right side near the back of the compartment. It is nothing more than a dip in the sidewall between the middle and left compartments. When the left cover is replaced it holds the key in place. Go to my photo albums and see the three wheel lock storage photos
Scott

Vettmann17 12-23-2011 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by scott1094 (Post 1579547221)
Vettman17
According to the 2002 owners manual your wheel lock key should fit in a "small depression" in the trunk rail directly under the left rear compartment cover. This is found on page 6-52. On my 2000 coupe it is there but it is easy to miss. Take the left storage compartment cover off and look at the right side near the back of the compartment. It is nothing more than a dip in the sidewall between the middle and left compartments. When the left cover is replaced it holds the key in place. Go to my photo albums and see the three wheel lock storage photos
Scott

Scott,

Thanks so much for taking the time and posting those photos. As soon as I get home tonight I'm gonna look and if it indeed there no doubt I'll feel like a knucklehead as I must have looked there about a dozen times. I won't be suprised though, lately I've been having more and more senior moments. Thanks again Scott and have Merrry Christmas! :cheers:

Paul

scott1094 12-23-2011 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Vettmann17 (Post 1579548241)
Scott,

Thanks so much for taking the time and posting those photos. As soon as I get home tonight I'm gonna look and if it indeed there no doubt I'll feel like a knucklehead as I must have looked there about a dozen times. I won't be suprised though, lately I've been having more and more senior moments. Thanks again Scott and have Merrry Christmas! :cheers:

Paul

Vettmann,
Sometimes I think if it wasn't for senior moments I wouldn't have any moments left. Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year.
Scott

Spectre86 12-23-2011 04:42 PM

-Hold down the Active Handling button for 5 sec. to engage "Competitive Driving" on cars equipped with active handling (2000 and previous years must be stopped.)
whats competitive driving do?

Vetteriffic 12-23-2011 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Spectre86 (Post 1579549359)
whats competitive driving do?

Seach competitive mode on the forum...lots of info

I found this from a member...

More Agility
Second-Generation Active Handling
For 2001 a Second-Generation Active Handling system, much enhanced over the original, becomes standard equipment on all Corvettes. Following is a summary of specific changes:

New Pressure Modulator
The original Bosch 5.0 hydraulic pressure modulator is replaced by an improved Bosch 5.3 modulator. It is reduced in size, transmits less noise, and works better at low temperatures. It weighs 3.5 pounds less than the previous modulator and provides better apply response at lower temperatures (-20 degrees Celsius), meaning that the system will become fully functional more quickly after a cold start-up.

Dynamic Rear Proportioning
The enhanced system has dynamic rear brake proportioning capability, electronically balancing rear brake pressure to prevent rear brake bias, or lockup. This new software feature eliminates the need for a rear brake circuit-proportioning valve, resulting in fewer assembly parts and fewer brake pipe connections. In addition, the master cylinder pressure sensor is now integrated into the new Bosch pressure modulator.

Sideslip Angle Rate Control
Another upgrade for 2001 is the addition of sideslip angle rate control to Active Handling's core software algorithm. It senses whether the driver has been too slow (or too fast) to react to changing vehicle dynamics during evasive handling maneuvers, then dials in just the right amount of control to help maintain vehicle balance.

Coefficient of Friction Estimation
Obviously, the rate at which a car tends to slip sideways is magnified on slippery road surfaces, so more sophisticated calibration algorithms have been developed to estimate the friction coefficient of the road surface and modify the second-generation active handling system's response accordingly.

Rear Brake Stability Control
One more software change results in better rear brake stability control. It assists the driver in maintaining control under light braking and high lateral acceleration conditions, such as might be encountered if a driver is caught off-guard by a decreasing radius turn. This new feature more precisely releases brake pressure on the inside rear wheel during high lateral acceleration maneuvers and allows for more predictable vehicle response so the driver doesn't have to work as hard to keep the vehicle on its intended path.

Better Coordination with Traction Control
As noted earlier, Active Handling works in conjunction with the traction control system, and for 2001 that part of the system has been much refined. A new control philosophy of targeting specific rear brake pressures and modulating engine torque around those points has resulted in fewer engine sags and superior vehicle acceleration when compared to the 2000 system. This new calibration allows drivers to enthusiastically experience Corvette's power and handling while still maintaining control over excessive wheelspin. Average drivers may now elect to leave the traction control system on when navigating autocross or gymkhana courses.

Competitive Mode
As alluded to in the previous paragraph, Corvette's Active Handling system has a unique feature called "Competitive Mode", which allows the driver to disengage the car's traction control feature without giving up Active Handling's other benefits. Holding down the Active Handling button on the center console for five seconds enables Competitive Mode. This feature recognizes that at the hands of a highly skilled driver a bit of rear wheelspin may actually be desirable in autocross or other racing events. In previous years it was necessary to bring the vehicle to a full stop to enable Competitive Mode, but for 2001 this requirement has been eliminated.

Taken as a whole, the Corvette's 2001 Second- Generation Active Handling system is smarter, less intrusive, and more adept at making the total driving experience precisely what Corvette owners have come to expect from their cars. It makes the car more agile, allows average drivers to perform better during spirited driving, and provides a new margin of safety in emergency situations.