CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   6 speed Shift Problems (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2971308-6-speed-shift-problems.html)

mizellbe 12-24-2011 11:16 AM

6 speed Shift Problems

I recently purchased a 2007 ZO6 from an individual. I have had the car about 3 months and am now having probvlems shifting into 2nd gear.
Shifting into 2nd gear had a slight bind and now most of the time it refuses to go into gear.
At idle I can shift into 2nd with no problem, it is only when I am under acceleration. This car only has 7300 actual miles.

Dave S 12-24-2011 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by mizellbe (Post 1579554647)
I recently purchased a 2007 ZO6 from an individual. I have had the car about 3 months and am now having probvlems shifting into 2nd gear.
Shifting into 2nd gear had a slight bind and now most of the time it refuses to go into gear.
At idle I can shift into 2nd with no problem, it is only when I am under acceleration. This car only has 7300 actual miles.

Hard to say based upon limited info, but my first thought would be the 2nd gear synchro going bad. Presuming you were able to tranfer the warranty when you bought the vehicle, I would have it looked at by a reputable dealer mechanic, i.e. one who regularly works on Vettes.

budgreen3564 12-24-2011 11:37 AM

is it the CAGS. Make sure you're at or over 19 mph to shift into second.

REVAK 12-24-2011 11:43 AM

:iagree: about ditching the cags. Also check or change the fluid in the clutch master cyl. Check and or change trans. oil.

CO Lightfoot 12-24-2011 12:24 PM

Might be a combination of things that are slightly off, such as a weak/damaged synchro, shift linkage, etc. Cooler weather (longer warm-up) might also contribute.

For starters, look at the clutch fluid. Changing it might be worth a try:

But I'm guessing that won't fix the problem. Might need a trip to the dealer. :(

Also if you get a chance, drive another C6 and see how it compares.

Mrc100 12-24-2011 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by budgreen3564 (Post 1579554847)
is it the CAGS. Make sure you're at or over 19 mph to shift into second.

:iagree:.... Possibly the skip shift locking out 2nd as designed?

JoesC5 12-24-2011 02:02 PM

Like others have noted, it appears you are trying to shift into 2nd gear when the CAGS is locking you out. Have you noticed the 1->4 light on the face of the tach lighting up? When it's lit, a solenoid in the transmission is locking out 2nd gear and makes you shift to 4th gear. You can purchase a CAGs eliminator that gets rid of this nuisance for $20. Then you can drive your car and shift it into second gear when it feels natural to you, instead of when the computer thinks it's appropriate.

It's covered in your owners manual.

Vette_DD 12-24-2011 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1579555984)
Like others have noted, it appears you are trying to shift into 2nd gear when the CAGS is locking you out. Have you noticed the 1->4 light on the face of the tach lighting up? When it's lit, a solenoid in the transmission is locking out 2nd gear and makes you shift to 4th gear. You can purchase a CAGs eliminator that gets rid of this nuisance for $20. Then you can drive your car and shift it into second gear when it feels natural to you, instead of when the computer thinks it's appropriate.

It's covered in your owners manual.

:iagree:2007 owner's manual, page 193.

One-to-Four Shift Light
(Manual Transmission)

When this light comes
on, you can only shift
from FIRST (1) to
FOURTH (4) instead of
FIRST (1) to
SECOND (2).

You must complete the shift into FOURTH (4) to
turn off this feature. This helps you get the
best possible fuel economy.

After shifting to FOURTH (4), you may downshift
to a lower gear if you prefer.

Notice: Forcing the shift lever into any gear
except FOURTH (4) when the 1 TO 4 SHIFT light
comes on may damage the transmission.
Shift only from FIRST (1) to FOURTH (4) when
the light comes on.

This light will come on when:
• The engine coolant temperature is higher than
169°F (76°C),
• the vehicle is going 15 to 19 mph
(24 to 31 km/h) and
• the vehicle 21 percent throttle or less.

Mrc100 12-24-2011 03:02 PM

I generally shift from 1 to 3 if I'm just putting around...4th seems to bog the motor a little. Sorry for going off topic.

GS-Zero 12-26-2011 06:06 PM

This is an issue that is relatively common with the T56 / TR6060, so I am told.

I am having an identical issue with my 2007 Z51 equipped C6. 2nd works just fine at low revs and even at high, steady revs but rapidly increasing revs (acceleration) will cause it to grind every single time.

I have changed my clutch fluid, flushed the transmission fluid, installed a CAGS eliminator, installed an MGW short throw shifter and installed a TICK adjustable clutch master cylinder and ALL have failed to solve the problem.

Therefore I have come to the conclusion that it must be a 2nd gear synchro. You may be having the same issue as I am. I'll be getting this fixed ASAP, and I'll let you know how hard I was banged for it.

AH-PSHAW 12-26-2011 08:25 PM

My hard shift turned out to be a rebuild and main shaft upgrade. 3 grand later shifts great. Mine had 90000 mi. so I would get it done under warranty if I were you.

Detoxx03 12-26-2011 08:29 PM

Most likely the skip shift if not anything major.

Rayzsurfer 08-30-2018 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by GS-Zero (Post 1579570176)
This is an issue that is relatively common with the T56 / TR6060, so I am told.

I am having an identical issue with my 2007 Z51 equipped C6. 2nd works just fine at low revs and even at high, steady revs but rapidly increasing revs (acceleration) will cause it to grind every single time.

I have changed my clutch fluid, flushed the transmission fluid, installed a CAGS eliminator, installed an MGW short throw shifter and installed a TICK adjustable clutch master cylinder and ALL have failed to solve the problem.

Therefore I have come to the conclusion that it must be a 2nd gear synchro. You may be having the same issue as I am. I'll be getting this fixed ASAP, and I'll let you know how hard I was banged for it.

I would love to hear if the 2nd gear synchro fixed the issues or if you found something else?

Dano523 08-30-2018 11:29 PM

Could be that the cage is still activating and blocking you out of second.
http://xse.com/leres/z06/cags.html

Could be that the clutch is not fully disengaging due to dirty clutch fluid.

Or could be enough sling shot forced shifts into second gear that the second gear syncro needs to be replaced, since it so worn out slots to tabs that the two gears trying to lock together on the second gear shift are going point to point/over rotate to block out the shift isntead.

Vette_DD 08-30-2018 11:45 PM

OP's last post on this problem:

12/26/11 : " The problem with my 1st to 2nd shift will be solved by installing a skip shift eliminator. My local dealer was very helpful and explaining why the problem exists."

7 year old thread bumped for no good reason. The solution is in the owner's manual and has been posted here several dozen times.

OP's more recent posts are in the C3 forum.

theandrewo 08-31-2018 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Vette_DD (Post 1597896580)
OP's last post on this problem:

12/26/11 : " The problem with my 1st to 2nd shift will be solved by installing a skip shift eliminator. My local dealer was very helpful and explaining why the problem exists."

7 year old thread bumped for no good reason. The solution is in the owner's manual and has been posted here several dozen times.

OP's more recent posts are in the C3 forum.

Gotta love the n00bs that don't actually read the thread OR the dates and then bump the thread! I've definitely done that on accident a few times in the past.

Rayzsurfer 09-01-2018 12:51 AM

I was well aware that this was an old post I had done a search for this problem and ran across this one. The person who posted never responded if the syncro repair did the job. I admit I am a noob but know enough to look at the date, I thought fellow Vette owners would be courteous enough to respond. Some do and for those I am very grateful.

Rayzsurfer 09-01-2018 12:54 AM

And a clarification to my problem the hard shifting happens well above the set point for the solenoid to lock out second gear. I see the light come on the dash when that feature kicks in.

theandrewo 09-01-2018 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rayzsurfer (Post 1597903213)
I was well aware that this was an old post I had done a search for this problem and ran across this one. The person who posted never responded if the syncro repair did the job. I admit I am a noob but know enough to look at the date, I thought fellow Vette owners would be courteous enough to respond. Some do and for those I am very grateful.

oh yeah man, I'm here reading this thread for the same reason as you!

vetteJPJ 09-02-2018 12:10 AM

I agree. If you are newer to this forum it is fair to bring up old threads. If the bobble heads that insult you for asking for help just ignore them People with real answers will respond. And for you old crabby members that think they know everything just help the new C6 owners. They are not the enemy. Being rude seems nonproductive.